Stouffer Creek German Browns

flyfish

Just though I would share.

Just getting ready for the season and came across a mount of the mid 80's. This was a 24" brown taken on Stouffer in spring late evening. It was cool in those days to mount the catch.

Here is the fish story in a nut shell. I was at the north side fishing hole in the afternoon late April, just dropped in to see the crew. Roman Scharabun walks in, and we start talking about fishing and other things. We usually try to hit Shunda Creek at ice off, and started planning for the following weeks for FTR, but there were no reports, and no one would tell, hate to drive to Rocky and visit a frozen river. We usually had a travel rod in the car year round, he looked at me and said lets do Stouffer, be there by evening, he smiled and said I'll meet you at the second bridge, got to get coffee at 7 eleven, we fished till dark, caught 19 fish between us, and finally caught back up at the bridge around 11:00. He asked what the hell is in the back of your vest, I pulled out Henry ( henry because he was so grand, like henry the eight, not to mention heavy) wrapped in wet grass. We had a good laugh and thought we got to do more night fishing.

The offspring's of Henry live there today, so thread lightly, peek around bends and do allot of observing, they are there, but don't want to be seen. Henry was caught on the Stouffer Creek Special as tied by LLoyd Schea.

Roy..

post-276-1205169099_thumb.jpg

The offspring's of Henry live there today, so thread lightly, peek around bends and do allot of observing, they are there, but don't want to be seen.

Yah I think I saw his decendents on Saturday, but thats about as close as I got. And by Stouffer do you mean North Raven? Because if you do than I saw them, but if not than I saw their cousins...

I've seen a lot of Henry's descendents too.

Mostly going the other way at about 50 miles an hour.

I did land one 14 incher there once.

It was quite a feat since he ran between my legs and tried rolling in the weeds.

Excellent. So where might I be able to see what a stauffer special looks like? Need to stock up, so that I can leave a few for the trees <_< haha. Thanks

See also 'Mitchell Special'. :)

http://nlft.org/fly_swap8.php

Of course, I also have a Ranger Special for this stream that works well too. :) But you'll want to mimic these wee Black Stoneflies that are coming off right about now. My 'Stauffer Special' actually imitates a BWO that should be also coming off soon... so no.. it's not the Cardiff Special I'm talking about.. Roy knows.. the corner pool.. and me lending him the tiny olive body flies to catch fish there. :)

Posted Image

http://flickr.com/photos/rangerbob/424291445/

PS - The Stauffer Special Pattern is published on page 'W4' of Flyfish's book.. erm.. Roy & Denny's - 'Flies For Alberta'. That is to say specifically below, and full history and photo in attached 'FlySource' pattern file. Don't sue me Roy Boy!!! =)

post-65-1205364270_thumb.jpg

STAUFFER SPECIAL (WET FLY)

STYLE: Water Beetle or Terrestrial

CLASS: Suggestive

Originator: Lloyd Shea, Edmonton, AB (1961)

Hook: Dry Fly Std. 1X-Long or 2X-Long, 2-X Fine, Sizes 10-12 (M94849 or M94831)

Thread: Black

Tail: Black Fibers

Body: Medium Black Sparkle Chenille (Silver tinsel core) or Peacock Herl.

Hackle: Black

Head: Tying Thread

staufferspecial.fly

I have no issues with sharing this kind of info lance, as Mitchell would say "I hate secrets". There is alot of variations to this pattern as much as any pattern with the evolution of materials. I am rally impressed with the free application FlySource http://flysource.net/. I plan to add a few older patterns, and in time build an electronic fly library with photos and fishing notes. This would be a great digital logbook.

Roy..

RB I've heard some on the Program FlySource wondering if you or someone could do a talk on this at the club. It sounds interesting and with Roy mentioning using it as a journal this might be right up some members alley.

Is this still a free down load.

Tight Lines Always

Dennis S :fishing::fish_jump:

Is this still a free down load.

As Roy mentioned, all you need is revealed here. Yes, FREE!

http://flysource.net

We should invite Kevin Umbach out to the club to demo it when Version 2 is released. I know he is busy building airplanes right now. He has too many hobbies with the word 'Fly' in them right now -- like me.

Perhaps in the Fall. Anyways, I am currently sharing over 1,700+ patterns (200 new ones added in the last week), and then.. there are 1,840 patterns that I choose not to share. :)

Aye, a great resource to find new productive patterns. Just imagine if every member in our club was using this... man.. the knowledge exchange would boggle the mind. I know it blew Roy away when he finally discovered it.

I fished the North Raven last Sunday. I can't believe how many fish I saw swimming in large schools. All were swimming away from me at a quick rate. I am looking forward to a dry fly day it must be great. I took some pics how do I post them?

Sounds like a par day on the creek at this time of year. :) For a clue on how to post pics.. I refer you to this FAQ post.

http://forum.nlft.org/index.php?showtopic=582

RB Thanks for the info. If your at the meeting next week will discuss this with you.

I have been interested in this program for a bit.

Tight Lines Always

I am trying to pry Kevin away from his airplanes. He said probably in May as the April program is full up already I understand. I think V2 will not be until the Fall, but now is a good time to get your wish list in.

OBTW, I just added another 100 new share patterns today (in about 15 mins). I figured out a way to 'auto script' the entry of patterns from a website (in this case my target was FlyTyer.com). Now, just to add some 'bot' logic to tell it to go out on the net at night and auto-find all the new killer patterns for me. =)

http://www.autohotkey.com/

PMS - Might be time for a new FlySource thread discussion, or continue on the last one here.

http://forum.nlft.org/index.php?act=Search...hlite=FlySource

To get back on topic... uhm.. I cranked out a dozen Stauffer Specials at the meeting last meeting, and plan to fish them soon. I got some good tips from Barry White and Barry Wright on how Lloyd actually tyed them up too.

I fished the North Raven last Sunday. I can't believe how many fish I saw swimming in large schools. All were swimming away from me at a quick rate. I am looking forward to a dry fly day it must be great. I took some pics how do I post them?

Large schools of educated trout, now I am going to have a sleepless night....pictures please...

Roy...

I just got back from the North Raven about 3 hours ago. Chilly day to start but got better. The fish are still quick little buggers though. :fish_jump: I just saw those pictures of the little stoneflys and have to say I did see a few of them ...examined my landing net after it trailed behind me for a bit and saw some scuds in there as well; I guess I should try one of those patterns out. :thumbup: