input on fly gear

Melanie

Hey everyone, I'm just looking for a bit of input on fly gear. There is a new sports and apparel store that has recently opened up in Whitecourt. The gentleman that runs the store carries mostly sports equipment and clothing but does have a fair bit of fishing gear as well. He is not too knowledgeable in the fly fishing area so he has been looking for input on what type of gear to carry. Of course being in Whitecourt the clientele is not quite the same as Edmonton so I spose he cannot be too diverse or carry too much high end equipment. He had a representative form Wright & McGill Co. come by. Al was asking if I was familiar with their products. I'm a bit familiar with the Fly Girl Fly Rods but not too much besides that. If anyone has any comments on these products please pass it on, or if you have any suggestions to fly gear that would be most appropriate for a shop like this please tell!!

Thanks

Mel

I'm guessing he'll want to keep the list short. 2-6wt in 2/3pc from low/med/high end should suffice.

Most of the creek water in your neck of the woods is great 2-4wt grayling water, with the occasional bigger boy in the deep pools. Single handed rods and lightweight reels would be the bread and butter of his business I'm guessing.

Thanks for the info Scratch, I'll be sure to pass it on. Ya know, I never thought I'd have use for a 2 wt rod, but being out here in grayling water I think that might have to be my next rod of choice...shhhh don't tell my husband I'm buying another fly rod!!

Mel

Don't buy---- Build it.

I have been kicking the idea around of my kids and myself building ourselves some 3 wts.

I think it will be a good way for us to spend our alotted time together this winter.

I'm hoping the equipment required to accomplish this task is relatively cheap.

Don't buy---- Build it.

I have been kicking the idea around of my kids and myself building ourselves some 3 wts.

I think it will be a good way for us to spend our alotted time together this winter.

I'm hoping the equipment required to accomplish this task is relatively cheap.

SnoWolf,

I found it wasn't cheap but then I went with a higher end rod blanks in a 3wt-3 piece. Ron H. from the club gave me advice and guidance. I purchased the supplies from Andy S. (address below). Andy was helpful as well and may have suggestions on other products that would be more in line with the kid’s budget.

Custom Rodbuilders Inc.

W. Andy Snedden

7130 Willis Point Road

Victoria, BC V9E 2A1

Phone: 877-303-9331

Fax: 250-544-8893

wasnedden@telus.net

www.rodbuildersupplies.com

I researched the web and found lots of advice as well. It adds a little more to the sport when you catch a fish :fish_jump: with a rod that you made yourself....kind of like catching them with a fly you tied only more so.

The time and fun of building them with the kids :happybd: may be the best part of it. Good luck.

John

Thx John

I have had a lot of fun since I strarted with this fly fishing stuff and a good portion of it has been with my kids. We are all looking forward to this project, but it has caused me to kind of look forward to the doldrums of winter and that is certianly a strange feeling.

I will definatly check out Andy.

Jim