Grayling Sizes Of The Little Smoky River

troutbum

Hey all.

I'm currently writing a story about the Little Smoky River, and am looking for feedback from the NLFT forum members. A study carried out by the ACA this year showed that the biggest Grayling sampled had a total length of 410mm. F&W Catch rate data dating back to 1987 shows grayling up to 491mm being sampled.

My own personal logs show that he last time I caught a Grayling in the class of the latter fish was in 1995. It had a length of 483mm. It wasn't the only one of that size I've caught from that river - but it is the last time I caught one that big.

My question is this. Does anyone have any records of Grayling over 445mm being caught on the Little Smoky River in the past 10 years? While we're at it, has anyone caught a decent sized Bull on the river since 1995?

Thanks.

Frank.

Thanks Ranger, I'll pass on the info to the ACA and F&W. I'm quite suprised at that size being caught as recently as 2005. I have managed several in the 406mm class, and have taken most of those on streamers while targeting bulls - but haven't caught bigger since 1995. Additionally, F&W and the ACA have not had reports from anyone catching grayling in the 431mm (and above) class since around that time as well.

What also concerns me is that no fish over 410mm were sampled in the ACA study this past summer. You'd think that if any were around, they would've been caught in at least a few of the 27 sites sampled ;)

Later, eh!

Frank.

Frank I have also notice to some extent that the size of the Grayling has declined. I did not manage to get there this year but I've seen the average size decline from 12 or 13 inches to again being 8 to 10 inches.(im for the old school and mm ????? not sure of) I don't think I've ever caught a grayling bigger than 17inches out of the LS. I've ventured up stream on occassion and have seen grayling that were bigger but didn't not catch any. I have also caught several desent size bulls in the last 5yrs 20 to 28 inches. I hope this helps a bit.

Tight Lines Always

Dennis S :fishing::fish_jump:

Hey Frank,

Biggest one caught this year by me and compadres was a tad over 16 inches. Ned and I ran into two nice schools of fair sized grayling on a couple of trips. I think Dennis is correct about the fish being smaller. With all the traffic up there, lots are being eaten.

My biggest was 18 inches, caught in 2004.

Biggest that I've seen caught out of LSR was the grayling caught by my Ned (#2 son) - a 21 incher (Yes, bigger than the provincial record). Caught on a Usual - right where Lanny set up that biffy a few years ago. We measured it and released it. There was a young Chinese kid (he had a real nice Powell flyrod) fishing the area that weekend too. He caught it the day before Ned did. 2003 be the year it was caught.

Cheers,

Alan

• 2 weeks later...

I'm currently writing a story about the Little Smoky River, and am looking for feedback from the NLFT forum members. A study carried out by the ACA this year showed that the biggest Grayling sampled had a total length of 410mm. F&W Catch rate data dating back to 1987 shows grayling up to 491mm being sampled.

Thanks.

Frank.

Is this another article or the Grayling article in the current fly fusion? Nice article - though I was a little surprised to see the photos of the access points for all to see. :(

Is this another article or the grayling article in the current fly fusion? Nice article - though I was a little surprised to see the photos of the access points for all to see. :(

The article I was trying to get the information on is one I wrote for Western Sportsman magazine. My title was The Little Smoky River – A Trophy Fishery Revisited - although I have no idea what the published title will be. In this story, I attempted to write about the changes the fishery has gone through since 1987. It is mostly a conservation story, with a lot of the information coming from the preliminary results of the recent ACA study. The story is supposed to be published in the March 2008 issue. We'll see how it turns out in published form.

As to the story in Fly Fusion magazine - yes, I wrote that one as well. They asked me to do a story on a short lead time - and I accepted. The intent wasn't to highlight the Little Smoky River per sey - but the pictures that the graphical editor chose (out of the ones I submitted), are all from the LSR. I am surprised that you mention the access points for all to see, as the list of pictures to be published (I was sent), only indicates they would be using 6 shots. Of these, two could be classified as access shots. Grizzly bridge is hardly what I would classify as a secret, and the Trappers cabin might not be the one you are thinking of. I went to great pains to crop out any background in that particular picture.

Of course, having said all this - I was asked for a caption on all the pictures, and the last shot they asked me for - was a duplication of a prior shot. I pointed this out - but never heard anything back from the Ed. I guess until I see the article, can't comment on it.

I'm sure I'll have more to write after I see it ;)

Tight Lines!

Frank.

By they way - here is one of the pictures I submitted for the WS magazine story. It's a picture taken not far from Grizzly junction. Although there weren't any fish skeleton's laying around, this frying pan and the well used fire ring shows something's being cooked at the edge of the river. Sadly, this picture was taken at an access point next to an active Gas Plant.

The good news is that F&W are aware of it, and are going to keep an eye on the area :)

Frank.

post-323-1196548751_thumb.jpg

I certainly wasn't suggesting that the photos were sure fire 'fish and tell's' - not what I meant. I know all too well however how certain images stick out with people. I can't tell you how many people I've talked to while driving over that bridge that didn't know it was a hotspot.

I too can be accused as my article on the North Raven had a few photos - recognizable to those familiar with the water.

I certainly wasn't suggesting that the photos were sure fire 'fish and tell's' - not what I meant. I know all too well however how certain images stick out with people. I can't tell you how many people I've talked to while driving over that bridge that didn't know it was a hotspot.

I too can be accused as my article on the North Raven had a few photos - recognizable to those familiar with the water.

No problem Scratch.

I was actually quite surprised that they picked that particular picture (on the bridge). I didn't think it was a very strong one, as the colours and saturation were quite subdued. I also thought the composition was weak.

Ah well, I have discovered that what I like, and what Graphical Editors like - are often two very different things ;(

Thanks for the comments.

Frank.

• 3 weeks later...

Grizzly bridge is hardly what I would classify as a secret, and the Trappers cabin might not be the one you are thinking of. I went to great pains to crop out any background in that particular picture.

"The Naked Blonde Pool" is where all the real action is at. Sorry... can't say where that is.