fly fishing classes/workshops

AlbertaSkies

I just found this site and am just finding my way around it. It has been a few years since I have fly fished so I am looking for a workshop or a class to review my casting skills, etc. sometime over the winter. Is this a good place to look?

Janice

Janice this is a alround Fly Fishing Club. If you want flyfishing this is where to come. We have been around now for about 14yr. Our meeting place is not big enough to do fly casting in the winter but we do put on a couple fly casting seminars on in the spring. We do a lot of flytying and have a beginners class every other week. We meet every Wed night. Hope to see you out.

Tight Lines Always

Dennis S :fishing::fish_jump:

Janice this is a alround Fly Fishing Club. If you want flyfishing this is where to come. We have been around now for about 14yr. Our meeting place is not big enough to do fly casting in the winter but we do put on a couple fly casting seminars on in the spring. We do a lot of flytying and have a beginners class every other week. We meet every Wed night. Hope to see you out.

Tight Lines Always

Dennis S :fishing::fish_jump:

Dennis.. Thanks for your response and your info about the gatherings. I am booked on Wednesday nights for the next few weeks of course (wouldn't you know it........!)

.........but if you have a schedule and location information for (ph,,address, name etc) I will put it in my calendar with big letters, stars and suns!

This is one sophisticated and wonderfully formatted site which just goes on forever...

Since this is a post should I be copying fish jump into my contact list where the address is coded or something and reply from there?? Yes I surely am a neophyte on here.

Janice

Hey Janice - Welcome aboard -

Definately when your schedule permits, come out to the meetings -

There is a lot to be learned and a great bunch of people.

Our regular weekly meetings & and Tying sessions are held each Wednesday @ 7:00 p.m at the The Queen Mary Park Community League at 10844 117th Street.

From the main page - on the left under meetings /membership is the info for the meetings and

a map is available. Also under current newsletters would be posted what is going on each week.

Look forward to seeing you out there - The newest female addition - has been kicken the

guys butts on the water from what I hear - which is always nice to see....

(Sorry guys..)

Pauline

Janice, don't worry about schedule.

Our regular meetings are purely drop in.

You make it when you can.

I'll be starting the beginners fly tying sessions next week.

The tentative schedule is to have a session every other week.

The first one (October 3rd) will mostly be about tools, equipment, basic materials and technique.

We will tie a San Juan Worm, a very simple fly.

The second one (October 17th) will introduce hackle and we'll tie a Partridge and Orange.

The third one (October 31st ) will introduce dubbing and we'll tie a Llama Leech.

You can join in at any point and I'll be able to quickly cover what you've missed.

Casting clinics normally occur in the spring.

However, if you come out before hard water season,

there's usually a sucker (oops, club member) around who can give you some brush up.

PS:

Loren may be kicking some butts, but not all of them.

We'll have to have a head to head match pretty soon Loren.

Hey Janice - Welcome aboard -

Definately when your schedule permits, come out to the meetings -

There is a lot to be learned and a great bunch of people.

Our regular weekly meetings & and Tying sessions are held each Wednesday @ 7:00 p.m at the The Queen Mary Park Community League at 10844 117th Street.

From the main page - on the left under meetings /membership is the info for the meetings and

a map is available. Also under current newsletters would be posted what is going on each week.

Look forward to seeing you out there - The newest female addition - has been kicken the

guys butts on the water from what I hear - which is always nice to see....

(Sorry guys..)

Pauline

Thanks for the shortcuts and info Pauline. Yes I have already determined that you all are a great bunch of people I want to be around. Given a little time I too shall kick some butt on the water.

Janice

Janice, don't worry about schedule.

Our regular meetings are purely drop in.

You make it when you can.

I'll be starting the beginners fly tying sessions next week.

The tentative schedule is to have a session every other week.

The first one (October 3rd) will mostly be about tools, equipment, basic materials and technique.

We will tie a San Juan Worm, a very simple fly.

The second one (October 17th) will introduce hackle and we'll tie a Partridge and Orange.

The third one (October 31st ) will introduce dubbing and we'll tie a Llama Leech.

You can join in at any point and I'll be able to quickly cover what you've missed.

Casting clinics normally occur in the spring.

However, if you come out before hard water season,

there's usually a sucker (oops, club member) around who can give you some brush up.

PS:

Loren may be kicking some butts, but not all of them.

We'll have to have a head to head match pretty soon Loren.

You are teasing me here Dave.......fly tying is something I have always avoided!!!!

Use to be give me a fly or 10 (damn those trees, bushes people,dogs behind me) and let me go.

How would you all like a little bit of red parrot feathers? Anyone use horse hair? Just a thought!

Not that I have a red parrot or a horse ....!

(but I do have a couple of contacts and if you are patient with me I might be encouraged to share....perhaps!!)

Janice

• 2 weeks later...

The Gauntlet was cast down, the challenge accepted.

Dennis, Rick and Dave took on our newest female member on Monday.

The result? We all won!

It was great day to be out on the stream.

The sun was shining and for the most part, the wind was managable.

The water was down from the last few weeks, but clear and COLD.

Early in the day they were taking nymphs.

Not all of the usual holes produced fish and certainly not in large numbers.

A mix of PTN, Prince and Eevils brought the odd fish to hand.

As noon approached, they started to rise and it was Game On!

The fly of choice seemed to be an Adams.

The fish were concentrated in a short stretch of one pool

which brought on a few accussations of encroachment,

and at least one case of a stuck fisherman.

At lunch the day was shaping up to be a draw.

After lunch the graying only rose sporadically to an Adams.

I'd seen a BWO get snatched by a dragonfly earlier so opted for a Grifiths.

That did the trick as they were looking for a darker body fly.

For about an hour and a half it was fast and furious.

Dennis either couldn't stand the excitement or the risk fo being acused of crowding the others,

so slid downstream to try his wet fly and streamer luck.

That proved to be his undoing as I think he came in dead last on the day.

Rick took pity on Loren and me and stopped fishing at his magic number.

Loren made the mistake of getting out of the water to warm up for a while and it cost her dearly.

She finished third, a hair in front of Dennis and a bit more behind me.

I think Rick was keeping track of my count

because he blew the final whistle when I was two shy of his total.

So there you have it.

Male and experienced angler pride remains intact, barely.

All kidding aside, it was a fun filled day.

Loren, Rick and Dennis are a hoot to travel and fish with.

We had a lot of laughs and everyone had a great day fishing.

That's what this club is all about.

OK here is the real story....

I had 12 fish in the first hour, and Dave had none!!! :fishing: So I stopped fishing to let him catch up. :beating:

When I felt he had had enough EXTRA time, I came back into the game, where I caught 20 plus fish in about 15 minutes :box: I think that was too much of a blow for Dave because when we called lunch, Dave didn't stop fishing...which some may call cheating.... and he even did that again at the end of the day.

Rick did out fish us all!! and he is still the master and the teacher, who I still have a lot to learn from.

Dennis, did well also, and he may have had a lower total, but that is only because he who will not be named.... Dave... took over his fishing spot after lunch :fishing: Although a big thanks to Dennis for taking a hook in the hand so that I could save the life of a little fish named Harold :fish_jump:

Next time we play fair and square Dave, and I wont give you any free-bee!!

Thanks to my favorite fishers for a wonderful day!!

The End

OK here is the real story....

I had 12 fish in the first hour, and Dave had none!!! :fishing: So I stopped fishing to let him catch up. :beating:

When I felt he had had enough EXTRA time, I came back into the game, where I caught 20 plus fish in about 15 minutes :box: I think that was too much of a blow for Dave because when we called lunch, Dave didn't stop fishing...which some may call cheating.... and he even did that again at the end of the day.

Rick did out fish us all!! and he is still the master and the teacher, who I still have a lot to learn from.

Dennis, did well also, and he may have had a lower total, but that is only because he who will not be named.... Dave... took over his fishing spot after lunch :fishing: Although a big thanks to Dennis for taking a hook in the hand so that I could save the life of a little fish named Harold :fish_jump:

Next time we play fair and square Dave, and I wont give you any free-bee!!

Thanks to my favorite fishers for a wonderful day!!

The End

Way to go Lauren...........I think you should get an honorary degree for being able to give them all a run for their money.......and so sooon in your career too!

Janice

Lauren's memory of events must be a bit distorted by the hard studying for her Master's Defence.

While she did have a lead on us early, that's because she hogged the good end of the pool.

She even crowded Dennis so much he had to unhook himself.

Maybe that's why he retreated to the lower pool after lunch.

Even when she did that again after lunch, her catch rate barely kept up.

As for taking a break to let me catch up, I suspect she just wasn't hardy enough to stand the cold.

I saw the shivering and blue lips.

Of course I perservered despite the shakes and cramping legs, leaky waders and all.

Rick took pity on her by stepping aside and giving her even more space to poach in.

And far from "cheating" I simply did what any good competitor does,

which is play right to the final whistle.

I'm up for a rematch any time.

Just get the Masters done first OK Lauren?

I don't want your dad to come looking for us.

You both will need to check with Dennis due to my poor memory of the events. I do remember Lauren fishing upstream and Dave fishing downstream of me. Dennis was somewhere downstream.

Possibly my memory was affected by the home made baking that I enjoyed and I choose not to put any future home made goodies on the line.

post-184-1192146559_thumb.jpg