Small Stream Fly Rod

Tys Flies

Llama Leach

If you had my money you'd be, as I do, collecting pop bottles from the side of the road....now if I had your dough I wouldn't have to do that anymore and I could just go right out and buy my new 3 weight. If in a perfect world for small stream use I'd be looking at the Sage TXL or SLT. Both would be 4 piece 7'9". My current rod is 7'6'' and while I like it a whole lot and I mean a whole lot the only reason to upgrade would be to try to keep up with T.H and RJL. I use my 3 and 5 weights the most often so why shouldn't they be the most fun rods I own...makes sense to me and dog goneit anyway...I need to treat myself once in a while...thats what my son Paul tells me all the time.

I have to say that line choice is very important when using a 3 weight or sub 3 weight...I've gone through 3 lines before I found the line that works the best and I know the line I would pick for the TXL or SLT.

If I were inclined to build a rod from a blank...I would get one of the above.

Unlike Michael, I don't use long leaders...I always use a leader that is more or less the length of my rod so in my case the 3 weight gets a leader thats 7 1/2 to 8 feet long....maybe thats why Michael catches more fish than I do. I don't have anything against long leaders I just choose not to use them.

Llama Leach, I'm away visiting my Mom for a week or so but when I get back we've got to hook up and do some fishing.

Vince

Sounds like a good Idea, Maybe I will take the quad with me.

Limey

Interesting link....never heard of the company but that doesn't mean anything. Looks like you really like the rod and in the end game thats what counts. Too bad they don't have a retailer in this part of the world...would be nice to try one out.

Vince

Limey

Interesting link....never heard of the company but that doesn't mean anything. Looks like you really like the rod and in the end game thats what counts. Too bad they don't have a retailer in this part of the world...would be nice to try one out.

Vince

Vince,

It may be worth talking to them and explain that you have heard great things about the rods and want to try one before you buy but dont have a retailer local. You never can tell. They have been real good in the UK...... Who knows they might set you up as a retailer!!!

Friend of mine in the UK is using them for his fly school and if you want to talk to him he will give you an honest opinion. I have a 9' #5 too and its great on medium rivers and still waters. Action is middle to tip on both rods so you need a slwer casting action. The lines that they sell are nice too. Heres a link to his site:

http://www.wiltshireflyfishing.co.uk/

Limey

Dennis,

I had to read your post twice before I realized there was a question at the end.

I got my Fisher blanks at Denny's, a long time ago. I don't think the Fisher blanks are available anymore. I believe that J. Kennedy Fisher went bankrupt and the company that took over the name didn't build blanks anymore.

They are decent plastic rods.

If I were to buy blanks now (to build a pair of 4 piece 7 weights as I have been meaning to do for the last 2 winters, but never got around to it) I would go to Fish Tales in Calgary.

Michael