Small Stream Fly Rod

Tys Flies

Thinking about purchasing another rod for fishing smaller streams. I was looking at the Temple forks 7'6" 3 wt. but I am wondering if that might be too small? I went to the Fishin' hole sale today and they were all out of them, apparently in the whole city. I have a 9' 5wt Temple Forks rod and I am very happy with it, which is why I was looking at that brand. I was hoping to stay under $250 as well. Any suggestions as to what kind of set up I should look for (rod, reel, line)?

Thanks,

TF

Hey TF,

I have a Loomis 7.5 ft 3 weight that carries a Hardy Marquis or a Hal Bacon (broke spring rigfht now). I always thought a 3 weight might be too light, but have totally changed my mind on that opinion. I wish I had bought a 3 weight sooner. My 3 weight is huge fun.

It is a great rod for small stream fishing. It is great for grayling and for places like the Livingstone. It's one drewback is a good wind will cut your casting distance.

And a 3 weight can handle a good sized fish. I caught a 15 pound Northern on mine in the NWT a week and a half ago.

Get one, you'll like it.

Cheers,

Alberta Al

TF,

I'll second Al's comment - a small 3wt is a real fun thing. I have a 7'9" 3wt that I built on a Pacific Bay IM6 blank with a hardy marquise 2/3 reel. I've landed trout up to about 18" on it. I hooked a 30" bull on it this year (he took a 12" cutt I was playing in Dutch Creek) but he let go. Few trout would over-stress the rod, though a big bow river rainbow would probably give the reel a heart attack.

If you are looking to save money, you should build one! A kit (including everything you need) can be had from Hook & Hackle (http://www.hookhack.com/) for about $130. You could also get a Sage or Loomis blank for about half the price of the factory rod. There are good books on how to do it available in the library. There is also a lot of info on the internet on how to do it. It really requires less skill than tying flies and you get some satisfaction from having "built" it yourself. I built my first two rods on "cheap" blanks from Hook & Hackle (my 3wt & a 6wt travel rod) and then built a Sage 490SL and a 990RPLxi. I got high quality flyrods with OK wraps and they work as well as those from the factory. They just cost about half as much.

Jim Fox

Calgary, AB

First Hi Jim haven't spoken since the Clave on Dutch. How are things your way. Hope your fishing this year was okay. Since the Clave the water this way has been out of shape. Then when I was heading to the Castle the closed her down. Grayling season is starting to heat up so will be heading more to the nw until freeze up.

As for a small stream rod not sure you really need to scarfice length I've always used a 81/2 to 9ft road for all my fishing. I have gone to a 3wt and like Al I Jim I've got a several 18+ in cutts in fast water and the 3wt handle that. As for Rod if your up to it building your would be the way to go as Jim said. I don't do my own so Mine is a Sage VL2 81/2 ft and does a very nice job cost $450. I've heard Temple Forks for the price does a great job.

Good luck with the rod selection.

Tight Lines Always

Dennis S :fishing::fish_jump:

TF

I do alot of small stream fishing and for my money you just can't beat a good solid, 7 to 7 1/2 foot 3 weight. Now everybody on this forum is going to give you a different thought but all in all a 3 weight can be a solid rod. Now, if I had RJL's fishing budget I know what a would buy but I don't so I have a Sage Launch (7 1/2 foot, 3 weight) which is on their lowest rung in terms of cost and I like it alot. I used to have a St.Croix Imperial but I found it a bit too soft. The type and make of line that you put on the rod can make it a great rod or turn it into a piece of poo poo (technical speak for "a piece of crap".

Good luck and let us know what you got.

Vince

Hey Vince,

I agree with Vince here. A 7 1/2 foot 3 weight with a sized reel is an extreme pleasure to cast. I am a dyed in the wool boo boy, but 3 weight graphite rods are way too much fun. I was really surprised how well mine handled the 15 pound pike.

Dennis, you should get a smaller one - you like it.

Cheers,

Alberta Al in Minnesota right now

I have to stick with the longer rods to make up for my inability to cast any farther then 20ft :laugh: Al you could be right on that as I was playing with a high end Sage 7ft 9 3wt that was like having a feather in your hand. Like you say the 3wt has a lot more backbone then you think.

Tight Lines Always

Dennis S :fishing::fish_jump:

Wow, guys I am overwhelmed with the responses and thanks a bunch. Dennis I was looking for a shorter rod as some of the areas my father and I get into the casting room is very limited and I prefer to have my hook on the water rather then in the pine tree behind me. Also, when you're hiking through some dense foliage those 9 footers seem to have a tendency to lead you rather then you lead them. So I thought the 7'6" 3wt would be a could choice and judging by your guys' responses there seems to be a concesus. Jim, I would love to build my own rod...one day. My time is not abundant at the moment even trying to be an active member in the club as well as online has been dificult but I appreciate your advice and may look into it in the future. I've read lots of articles on it and it doesn't seem that difficult, I'm a pretty meticulous person so I think I would get good results. Vince, I know the Sage rod you speak of as I was false casting it in the Fishin' hole the other day. I don't know boys, I had my hopes up of getting my hands on the Temple forks rod while the Hole was having its sale but they were all out of stock. I may now have to wait for Santa or the Spring show in March to pick one up. Thanks again for all the advice and when I do finally get one I'll let you all know what I decided.

Cheers,

TF

Tf

As a side note...while I use a 7 1/2 foot 3 weight for small stream use there is not a day on small water where I don't end up donating at least 9 to 12 flies to the tree God's...small stream cost of doing business. As I've always said " if your not donating flies, ripping waders or going in for a dunk....your not small stream fishing".

Vince

I think I am going to jump on the 3 weight band wagon this winter. Think santa will bring my kids and myself each a kit to make one out of.

After the fun we had at the Alberta clave with our 6 weights I can imagine that we will be reduced to shits and giggles using a 3 weight down there.

My kids are still talking about our trip and are asking to go back next year. So far i am having a problem coming up with a reason to say no. So looks like we will see you southern fellas next year. :clap:

Sno

Vince states that if he had my budget he knows what he would get - SLT 3 weight 8'3" - great rod for small streams. A favorite rod for a few years now.

I can agree with Llama Leech on the 0 weight, I toss a 1 weight 8'1" every once in a while. Lots of fun.

If you want some interesting reading oneday "Google" ultralight fly fishing, nice read on fishing 000, 00, 0, 1, 2, and 3 weight rods and landing larger fish, not always trout, but larger fish including Bass.

Find the write-up on the world flyfishing championships this year in europe and the rod of choice is a 10' five weight for small streams.

Rick

Well, with all of this talk about small stream rods its made me think that it might be time to up-grade. Got a new 3 weight in mind so all I need to do now is sell my old one and save up for the new one. RJL, as I have to save for this new rod perhaps you might want to consider a regular donation to my new rod fund.

Ah, broke now and getting more so as each fishing season comes and goes.

Vince

Well, with all of this talk about small stream rods its made me think that it might be time to up-grade. Got a new 3 weight in mind so all I need to do now is sell my old one and save up for the new one. RJL, as I have to save for this new rod perhaps you might want to consider a regular donation to my new rod fund.

Ah, broke now and getting more so as each fishing season comes and goes.

Vince

If I had your money Vince, I would Burn Mine.

I was thinking of Building a 3 weight this winter, any advice on a blank

I guess I will add my two cents to this discussion about light rods.

I have two 3/4 weight rods that I built on Fisher blanks. One is a two piece 7'6" that was my favourite rod for a couple years, but now gets used only occasionally. The other is a 6'9" in three pieces which I use more because it is more convenient to carry the short tube in my car.

I fish both of them with a DT-4-F line. I have a 3 weight line, but it doesn't load the rod as well at short distances. When I was fishing the 7'6" on Stauffer, I was tossing a short line with a 15' leader without any problems. Since then I rarely have a leader longer than 11-12' (and more likely 9-10') but I still fish the short line.

Mostly I fish dry flies with them, but I have tossed the odd beadhead with an indicator or a hopper/dropper system. Can be done, but it's more fun to use a small dry.

Since I've started fishing grass rods I usually use a 5 weight so I can toss heavier nymphs or streamers as needed.

I also have a Temple Fork 6' 2 weight which is a lot of fun on small streams.

Michael

I guess I will add my two cents to this discussion about light rods.

I have two 3/4 weight rods that I built on Fisher blanks. One is a two piece 7'6" that was my favourite rod for a couple years, but now gets used only occasionally. The other is a 6'9" in three pieces which I use more because it is more convenient to carry the short tube in my car.

I fish both of them with a DT-4-F line. I have a 3 weight line, but it doesn't load the rod as well at short distances. When I was fishing the 7'6" on Stauffer, I was tossing a short line with a 15' leader without any problems. Since then I rarely have a leader longer than 11-12' (and more likely 9-10') but I still fish the short line.

Mostly I fish dry flies with them, but I have tossed the odd beadhead with an indicator or a hopper/dropper system. Can be done, but it's more fun to use a small dry.

Since I've started fishing grass rods I usually use a 5 weight so I can toss heavier nymphs or streamers as needed.

I also have a Temple Fork 6' 2 weight which is a lot of fun on small streams.

Michael

Were do you get your blanks from?

Llama Leach

If you had my money you'd be, as I do, collecting pop bottles from the side of the road....now if I had your dough I wouldn't have to do that anymore and I could just go right out and buy my new 3 weight. If in a perfect world for small stream use I'd be looking at the Sage TXL or SLT. Both would be 4 piece 7'9". My current rod is 7'6'' and while I like it a whole lot and I mean a whole lot the only reason to upgrade would be to try to keep up with T.H and RJL. I use my 3 and 5 weights the most often so why shouldn't they be the most fun rods I own...makes sense to me and dog goneit anyway...I need to treat myself once in a while...thats what my son Paul tells me all the time.

I have to say that line choice is very important when using a 3 weight or sub 3 weight...I've gone through 3 lines before I found the line that works the best and I know the line I would pick for the TXL or SLT.

If I were inclined to build a rod from a blank...I would get one of the above.

Unlike Michael, I don't use long leaders...I always use a leader that is more or less the length of my rod so in my case the 3 weight gets a leader thats 7 1/2 to 8 feet long....maybe thats why Michael catches more fish than I do. I don't have anything against long leaders I just choose not to use them.

Llama Leach, I'm away visiting my Mom for a week or so but when I get back we've got to hook up and do some fishing.

Vince

....maybe thats why Michael catches more fish than I do. .......................

Vince, it's probably because Michael is willing to nymph :lol: :lol: :lol: . Terry

PS got word from UPS today -- my 3wt is on its way. Should have it next week :) :).

Terry

I do think your right on Michael willing to nymph but I think he's more in tuned to the dry plus I think that he fishes streams that may require a longer leader.

Great news on the 3 weight...now don't go throwing any BAW's with it. Let me know when you get it and what your thoughts on it are.

Vince

I really do like to dream....... But unlike Vincente' and Lamma and uall, I have a 7-6" , 6,7 weight Mitchel that I use for everything and I LIKE IT . Probably because I haven't ever tried much else. I believe it grew on me and my pocket book, but hey I drink cheap wine to. I do have 3 different weighted lines on different reels . Thats my 3 cents worth. SO THERE :vikinjg::

Dan