North Saskatchewan River - In Full Flood

RangerBob

post-65-1178417460_thumb.jpg

With the recent rains, snows, and run-off... a note to stay away from the NSR for awhile. Here is some video I shot today after the casting course of the conditions at the Firehole... now once again the Floodhole.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_XbwQqPUoU

Compare it to this photo of the bank as it normally looks, the water is up over this outflow right up to the edge of the bank. Indeed, one wrong step.. and you'll be in over your head.

Posted Image

post-65-1178417460_thumb.jpg

With the recent rains, snows, and run-off... a note to stay away from the NSR for awhile. Here is some video I shot today after the casting course of the conditions at the Firehole... now once again the Floodhole.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_XbwQqPUoU

Compare it to this photo of the bank as it normally looks, the water is up over this outflow right up to the edge of the bank. Indeed, one wrong step.. and you'll be in over your head.

I noticed that, especially this morning as I was heading to work, water level went up another 1.5 ft since last week,

I think it is quite alarming, if there is more rain coming our way, I say river valley road maybe closed.

I remember last year the water level was even higher.

Hopefully we won't see floods happening.

:cheers:

Hopefully we won't see floods happening.

You see that backpack in the photo behind me.. near the fence? About 2 foot up that post is the high water mark from last year. Think about it. Just stay away!

Looking at the two photos. I'd say the river is up a good three, maybe four feet.

That first step into the water would likely put you in up to your eyeballs.

With all the debris zipping donwstream, going in could be fatal.

Edited by dave robinson

Looking at the two photos. I'd say the river is up a good three, maybe four feet.

Try more. =)

In this photo here, the water would be over my head where I stand now up to the tree-line.

http://flyangler.ca/forum/index.php?automo...q=si&img=12

We also seen a full size tree flipping end over end down the river too.. getting sucked down in the currents. It was freaking scary man, it also made nome creaking and cracking noises along the way.

According to the Flood Gauge in Riverdale - it was at the 1:5 year flood line. Not bad - but the water was less than 3 feet below many of the Riverdale trail lines... A lot of water indeed - nothing like last year - but a lot of water none the less.