Icebergs & Fish

DennisS

Will its about over for another year. The Northern Lights were out yesterday over the Little Smokey. They were all flashing Bright. Many flashes of silver. A lot of people have said they never heard the Northern Lights Before but they were so bright yesterday that they were making all kinds of noise YaHoo, I got another one, bulls on . So don't let anyone tell you that Northern Lights don't make noise.

Seriously it was a great day for all. We did have to dodge icebergs and the water was very cold. Thank God I patched my waders or one would have froze to death. There was ice along the shore line. It won't be long and the river will be froze up for the year.

There were Eight of us out for the next to last day of fishing the Little Smokey. Their was Rick Lang and Dave Robinson and Myself in my vehicle. We met up with Greg(Scratch) Jeff & Darren. Also there was Lance(RB) and Al.

Tons of fish caught. Dave Robinson & Darren must have sore arms today from catching so many. Rick done will didn't matter where you stood.

I targeted bulls for most of the day and was reward with my best bull day ever 10 ranging from about 12in to almost 20. I gave Greg one of my flies and he preceded to Catch his first bull ever. Congrat Greg. I caught my biggest Grayling ever he had to be close to 17 or 18 inches. Caught on the same fly using for bulls. Greg also caught a huge grayling I was running a close 2nd on that one.

With the amount of bulls caught and the big range in sizes shows that the bulls are doing okay.

It was a great Closing to the Stream fishing season this year.

Next the Red Deer. I will have to start tying again

Tight Lines Always

Dennis S

Guys

Good to hear that you all had a good time while I was busy moving our office and warehouse to another location. Well, I guess I had to miss a weekend or two at some point in time but why did it have to be this past weekend.... I should have been there - darn.

Let's see some pictures boys and I don't want to see any pictures of Five Alive

Vince

Yes, tit was a great day, even with the floating challenges.

Score - Dave: 100+ - Fish: 1 (one spat a hook at me and nailed my thumb)

The accompanying shot I labelled Scratchcube for the obvious reasons.

Scratchcube.jpg

Edited by dave robinson

You can see the challenge as the ice was floating right down the feeding lne

It was - Short casts in between the ice floes and watch that indicator like a hawk

It became almost hypnotic as the indicator didn't always move at the same speed as the ice

so the takes were hard to detect as they were very subtle and hard to feel with frozen fngers.

I don't keep count, but for a while it wzs almost hilarious as a fish would take on every drift.

How they manage to move at that temperature of water is amazing.

I think my toes thawed out about noon today.

Downstream.jpg

Edited by dave robinson

The accompanying shot I labelled Scratchcube for the obvious reasons.

Correction - "Denniscicle" - on closer inspection - you can see the christmassy red and green coming from that angler - so it must be Dennis after Darren, Jeff and I stole his Bull-hole after lunch. :)

Thanks for the Bull Dennis - I owe ya! - Of course - Darren caught all of his Bulls on a chironomid / indicator setup ... so I don't know if the bunny was the ticket - but I'm not going to argue with 5 hookups... :)

Cheers!

Scratch any time. I enjoyed the the hooting and screaming when you hook into the bull that was payment enough. It will all even out.

I enjoyed the day. first time I actually specifically targeted bulls and had such good success.

Tight Lines Always

Dennis S. :fishing::fish_jump:

Yes, tit was a great day, even with the floating challenges.

Double take.. vot! :o:blink: Is there ever a bad day for tit, floating challenges aside?

http://flyangler.ca/forum/index.php?showtopic=1444

Just call him Mr. Bull Trout... "Dennis The Dominator. I'll hoook you up!" "Denniscicle" - LMAO! :laugh: Yes, I think he has earned a new moniker now.

post-22-1130869408_thumb.jpg

Last weekend I went to "my" grayling creek up in that same general area. Unfortunately it was almost totally frozen over. Although it was getting late in the day already (late start) I thought I would drive up to the LSR to take a look since I have never been there. I only had time to stop at the first bridge and I only fished a bit since I wanted to hike around a bit. I didn't catch any fish which was a bit surprising given your success. I have had some really good luck on grayling this fall so I think I was using the right techniques (strike indicator with nymphs, fishing slower pools, etc.). Is it just that the second bridge is that much better this time of year?

Is there good fishing to be had right at the first bridge or is it better to hike upstream or downstream a bit?

Nice looking river, that's for sure. But that road sure is busy for a bush road!

:eek: Boy will I ever be lookin to sit next to Dennis next meeting! Woo Hoo...when did you guys say you were goin fishin again??? :eek:

Heh heh. Yeah, I just knew you'd fit in with us here Rena.

Damn... just peed my pants. :laugh::blink:

Any time you want to go wet a line with us.. just holler! Looks like we got about a six month wait though. Hmm.. I wonder if I can sneak out to Cardiff one more time or has it frozen over yet too. :(

Rockyman.

Sorry for the late reply. I must agree that the fishing has never been as good at the first bridge, as it has at Grizzly. There is however some pretty darn good fishing for those willing to take the time to work it. Up until this year, I've caught my biggest bulls on the downstream side of this bridge. For them I usually fish from the N side and cast my streamer upstream. I then let it swing down into the deep tailout and give it a good pregnant pause before starting a varied retrieve. More often than not, i get the strike during the pause, or the first couple of strips.

This bridge is also a great for whites, and they tend to stack up at the dropoff just behind the head of the pool. Casting a Prince nymph up into the riffle, and letting it drift down into the head (still from the N shore) works fairly well.

The Grayling are a different matter. They're at the pool but seem to move around from year to year. The big back eddy has changed quite a bit this year, but the hog of the pool is still at the extreme tail end of the back eddy. The rest of the grayling seem to relate to the current seam nearest the S shore. You can fish for them easy enough from the N side, but for the bruiser you usually have to feed him slack line down along the back eddy from an upstream position.

Hope this helps.

-bum

Thanks for these great hints. I have never really targeted bull trout yet on any of my trips. I may toss out a streamer from time-to-time but never stick with it for too long. I will try your technique next year.

I wish now that I had given the area around the bridge a bit more of a careful go but the LSR is one of those rivers that keeps you walking to see what's around the next bend. I was certainly impressed with what I saw.

I hear ya!

I usually don't spend much time anymore at the first bridge myself. In the past few years I've been hitting it on my way out from fishing Grizzly. It kinda gives me my 'last shot' before comitting to the trip back home. Of course, this last chance ends up lasting 3 to 4 hours - but that's beside the point.....

Tight Lines!

-bum

Rena,

I saved you a spot next to Dennis tonight.. where were you? :lol:

Bring your tying stuff next week... what patterns do you want to learn? I noticed you were in on the Beginner end of the table tonight. Cudos to Bill for being the only one in the club with a vice tonight to teach you and others how to tye. His idea for 11 patterns was the best I've heard in a long time.

Scratch, P-acres, and myself will be out to assist next week.