Northern Lights meeting November 2

Michael Dell

Guys,

I've got two things to talk about at the next meeting on November 2.

My first topic will be "Useless stuff that I've bought, that you probably don't need to buy."

My second topic will be "Dyeing fly lines: a simple how to guide". Does anyone have an electric kettle that they can bring to the meeting? I need a way of getting the water hot, and I don't have one of these.

Thanks,

Michael

My second topic will be "Dyeing fly lines: a simple how to guide".  Does anyone have an electric kettle that they can bring to the meeting?  I need a way of getting the water hot, and I don't have one of these.

Cooooooooool. Dying fly-lines - may have to try this! I also have a kettle if you need for the demo.

:captin:

I'm also on the lookout of a portable hot plate, a large metal funnel (preferably one without oil or other flamables being used it it prior), and a fire-extinguisher for Nov 23rd demo I'm doing if anyone can help out.

If not.. we'll have to do the "Easy Bake Oven Imagination" thing when I do my demo of Puff Ants and Pyro Ants. We used to have an actual stove at Water's Edge which was nice. My demo of fabric-paint might also work with a hair dryer or paint stripper too. Need a high source of heat to show the "puff-effect" in action.

Lemme know.

:rangerbob:

The November NLFT&F Newsletter has been put to bed and passed to Scratch

I expect he will post it in his usually efficient fashion as soon as he gets a chance.

I'll have a few copies at the meeting on Wednesday.

Edited by dave robinson

Mike an electric kettle is a very large investment...I know all to well, when we were looking for our first.. we were overwelmed with the diffrent makes, models, and heating capacities (some wattage thing). Now that we have saved up and qualified for the loan, I am looking forward to making the purchase soon. I also hope to renew my very lapsed membership and attend the dyeing demonstration....just hoping the purchase don't cut into the membership account. All well that dye's well.....

Roy,

If I was going to do this properly, I would have an electric hotplate to heat the water in my dyeing pot. But the kettle is a substitute way of getting hot water for the pot.

I have a propane stove, but I'm not going to use it indoors. Not safe.

Yes, I can afford a $15 kettle or even an $80 one, but I don't need it. I especially don't need to spend money on something that I will use once. Come listen to my other topic for all the things that I've wasted my money on in the past.

I'm a slow learner, but once you're on the downhill side of 50 there's not much more time to figure things out.

Take care.

Michael

p.s. I can show you what I did with an orange flyline to spook fewer fish.

Roy,

If I was going to do this properly, I would have an electric hotplate to heat the water in my dyeing pot.  But the kettle is a substitute way of getting hot water for the pot. 

I have a propane stove, but I'm not going to use it indoors.  Not safe. 

Yes, I can afford a $15 kettle or even an $80 one, but I don't need it.  I especially don't need to spend money on something that I will use once.  Come listen to my other topic for all the things that I've wasted my money on in the past. 

I'm a slow learner, but once you're on the downhill side of 50 there's not much more time to figure things out. 

Take care.

Michael

p.s.  I can show you what I did with an orange flyline to spook fewer fish.

Just keeping you on your toes for old time sake, mikey..just had to :D

I did a few S/A supremes lines in the past, and melted the delicate core on one before the cool water dyes came out, did have better luck with a cortland 444 lazerline, so this will be worth seeing.

Remember Jack Dennis at one of his New Zealand presentations held at Grant Macewan, that we were both at...remember the free cortland samples, and his study he did on large browns using nickleplated rod guides and sunrise orange fly lines, a great story.

The amount of money we have invested in the past at the Fishin Hole, we should be major shareholders, flytying heads the list. I guess we were very slow learners indeed. And then there is downhill 50..lets not think about...a need a dodge viper..

Cheers....

P.S. If you buy the kettle, sponge bob or New Zealand dave will supply the earl gray. :ph34r:

Roy,

My (formerly) orange line is an SA Supreme. I had no problems at all with a hot water dye. I just took a few precautions in the dyeing process to make sure I didn't melt it. All secrets will be revealed on Wednesday. Actually it's another one of those things that is so easy to do, that I'm surprised why I wasn't doing this years ago.

Dan,

I might be able to use the hot water from the coffee pot, but I would prefer to have boiling water to start off. I'm hoping someone can bring the kettle.

Thanks,

Michael

Michael - wouldn't miss this meeting for the world... looks like fun!

FlyFish - call me - we'll car pool....

Dave - Please send the newsletter to greg@flyangler.ca - I'll get it everywhere then - as is - it's only at the office - and I'm on a short 5 day leave right now.

/g

P.S. If you buy the kettle, sponge bob or New Zealand dave will supply the earl gray. :ph34r:

No, that'd be Alberta Al with his wood fired Kelly Cooker.. and it'd be freshly picked Labrador Tea from the cut-lines.

Propane is not safe to use indoors!? Why didn't someone tell me about this before. Now, that explains a lot!

I have a 2-burner electric hot plate/stove that I could bring....might have some wort residue from previous homebrewing sessions... let me know...