Sundance Creek culvert

Rockyman

The last time I went to Sundance Creek I noticed that the the culvert that goes under Hwy 47 was constructed such that upstream access of fish would be greatly impeded. I know a lot of club members fish this creek. Does anyone know if this has this ever been brought to attention of the Fish and Wildlife guys in Edson?

For all you grayling fans here's a link to a report published by the provincial government earlier this year http://www3.gov.ab.ca/srd/fw/status/report...ic_Grayling.pdf. Hopefully additional waters like Sundance Creek will be given additional protection given the recommendations of this report.

Rockyman,

Lots of luck getting anybody to do anything about fish passage problems. An example:

The ACA funded a look @ fish passage problems in the Swan Hills area. Of the 900 culverts/bridges etc. examined, 700 didn't allow fish passage.

Fish and Wildlife response - do nothing.

Dept of Fisheries and Oceans - do nothing.

The distruction of grayling continues.

Don

Interesting....Have heard the same story about the highway and railway in Jasper National park as it affects stream crossings. They know there is an impediment to fish passage, but they say it's too expensive to do anything about it. Pretty hypocritical to say the least...Parks want to revert back to the original fishery from stocking, yet they won't do anything to restore it's own damage to the original fishery!!!!

About the Swan Hills...Don, are any of these crossings new?....I am sure new roads/culverts need to meet DFO/Environment criteria.....

BTW the Swan Hills area is so bad, I can show you exposed pipelines right in the creeks...been there for years, don't know if they've been abandoned or not...but, nothing's been done.

Rockyman,

Lots of luck getting anybody to do anything about fish passage problems. An example:

The ACA funded a look @ fish passage problems in the Swan Hills area. Of the 900 culverts/bridges etc. examined, 700 didn't allow fish passage.

Fish and Wildlife response - do nothing.

Dept of Fisheries and Oceans - do nothing.

The distruction of grayling continues.

Don

Oh never mind. I thought you were talking about the "Rat Hole" here where this guy was "spin fishing" from. Sadly, we even seen him hoist a few up from that precarious perch.

Now.. I wonder where all the Grayling have gone.

post-28-1129872963_thumb.jpg

How about we set up a collection of photos of "bad culverts" somewhere on this website? I recognize that people won't want to post photos of their "secret" waters but I think a bunch of photos showing that this is a real issue could be helpful in trying to capture the government's attention. Contributors could chose to label their photos in a generic sense if they so wish (e.g. grayling stream downstream of Whitecourt or Hinton doesn't exactly give much away).

Jasper Park is interesting re: the hypocritical approach to fisheries management. Take a look at Kerkeslin Creek next time you are going up the Icefields Parkway. Tell me that culvert isn't having an impact on the fish population...