Macleod R., Sundance Cr., Edson R.

Tys Flies

Monday my Father and I decided we would head west to try for some grayling. We started our journey on the Macleod where the sundance enters and no dice, not a single thing. We were in discussion about whether or not to try the Edson R. that has been mentioned on the board the last few weeks but first I had to try the Sundance Cr. itself. Good decision I might add. Yes, RB, I lost my Grayling virginity as I caught and released my first grayling, my father also caught some. Our bushwaking down the sundance yielded about a half dozen fish between us. We have some good photos that Ill have to get around to posting eventually. My father caught the biggest of the day which was around 12"-13" and a real beauty, man what an amazing fish. After the Sundance we decided to go check out the Edson R. Im pretty sure we met up with some of Dave R's and Vince's bovine friends but the river didn't give up anything for the half hour we spent on it. It was a great day with some weird sunshowers thrown throughout.

To Vince the Grayling Hunter we'll have to hookup one of these days as I am in love with these fish now and some pointers and advice on better water would be much apreciated by my father and I. Unless RB would allow me to lose my virginity again on his secret fishing hole :ph34r:

And to anyone else, how do you fish the Macleod. To me it seems shallow in the area we fished full of big boulders and I don't see to much area for fish to hold. Do you nymph it or cast dries? Or is there a certain time of year to hit it? I remember a few years back everyone was saying how hot it was for whitefish but Ive yet to be impressed. Beautiful river but where are all the fish?

Cheers,

TF

Here's what it looked like when Pacres popped his cherry. I forget where though. :whootwhoo:

Uhm, in the Macleod look for the deepest runs.. near the boulders. That's where I've found all the Whites.

Now.. Mikey D.. wouldn't you agree we just need to work him over about wearing his "red camoflauge" streamside? ;)

post-22-1126105176_thumb.jpg

Tys Flies

Sounds like you and your dad had a great time. I sure enjoy my days with my son on the streams - can't beat it.

The McLeod, to me is a bit of a strange river - though to be honest I have not give it the time it deserves. I've been given, by someone who fishes the McLeod River a lot, some prime areas to fish and hopefully before the year is out I can give them a go.

The Edson is not a bad little river - some bridge crossings are worthwhile. I fished the area where Paul, Dan and Doug fished a few weeks back and while the water was o k it was not as productive as I expected - in fact I found it lacking.

Choice of flies for the area is easy. Any dry fly that is on the small side ...say a 14 or 16. Irresistable, H & L Varient, Royal Wulf and Coachman etc works well as does a CFF and Griffiths Gnat. Can't tell you about nymph's as I'm not quite into that yet - though I'm aure its productive.

In terms of the water to fish - see RangerBob's post - he pretty well covered it though I try to use my Spider Sense and fish places where I think they will be - it has not failed me yet.

Hope that helps and good luck to you and your Dad

RangerBob

That water that Pacres looks familar to me - could it be ..............? I agree, the Cameo look that Pacres uses is sure to delight the local fish.

Ah, the things we do and things we wear to catch fish.

Vince

RangerBob

It was worth a shot. I may just have to give the photo to NASA to figure out by way of shadows on the water and by blowing up the area around Pacres eyes (for exact position of the sun) to zero in on the general area and to then send me the GPS co-ordinates in UTM of course ...that way I'll be able to walk right up to the spot in the picture.

Vince