Embarras River

vince

Guys

Rick Lang and I hit the Embarras River yesterday. The weather started a bit cloudy ...then we got a couple of hours of solid rain and ended with a bit of cloud but what a great day of fishing. Lots of laughs all day long.

Rick outgunned me about 2 to one for the day...Rick landed about 20 or so Grayling and I landed about 10 and we both missed an equal amount. The strikes were missed as these beautiful little critters would come up, take the fly and spit it out before you could say "thanks for the dance"

We did a bit of exploring and managed to find some really beautiful water. The surroundings were awesome. We had planned to fish the Embarras first and then head down to the Erith but we were having to much fun to leave. I'm glad we stayed.

Rick, thanks for the day - truly awesome.

Vince

The first picture is of Rick with about a 12 or 13 inch Grayling on the line and the second picture shows the beauty in his net.

Now for the third picture..which needs an explanation. I took it last Sunday when Dave Robinson and I hit a section of the Edson River that neither he or I had fished before. This herd of curious cows followed Dave around..then they stopped and had a look at me sweating ( it was a 30 defree day ) and wondering just what the heck this dude is doing. Truly priceless seeing Dave having a conversation with a heard of cows. Ya had to have been there to enjoy the moment. Fishing was on the slow side but a great day was had and as I said in last weeks post it was hot, hot and hot.

Vince

post-22-1125973892_thumb.jpg

Guys, I did in fact screw the order of pictures but this is the first time that I've managed to post pictures. I am now have " The Force"

Thanks George for your help - I appreciate it.

Dave, I did not mean to change the spelling of your last name - in my haste to get the job done my fingers hit the wrong key.

Vince

Vince and I had am excellent day on the Embarras. Nice relaxing drive (for me, Vince drove) and good conversation. We arrived and were on the river before 10:00AM. The decision to go up stream or down. I always choose the wrong direction. Hey, we saw some nice water but no fish. Returning to our starting point Vince hooked up with a nice Arctic Grayling.

post-22-1125978690_thumb.jpg

After the rainstorm we headed back to the vehice. More rising fish and we could not resist casting to few.

Vince hooked up to what appeared to be a nice Grayling that went down and stayed down. Vince worked hard to land this fish. He thought that the fish had wrapped the line around this tree branch and spit the hook. Vince was right, the fish wrapped around the branch quite a few times but neglected to "spit the hook"

A photo of the "Tree Trunk Grayling"

post-22-1125979454_thumb.jpg

As Vince said an awsume day. The last few minutes were spent casting to one rising fish. I put the fly over him many times. He came up many times. First hit, on for a second. Second hit, maybe a second and a half. Third hit, a second. Fourth hit, a second. Vince suggested that I "sharpen my hook". Well I did the right time at the time, I stepped out of the spot and invited Vince to "stick it to him".

Vince was up to the challange as the fish was still rising. First cast, fly on the perfect drift, fish rose and hook up - no, only on for a second. Second cast, on for a second and a half. Third cast, hit again, no hook up. Fourth cast, another hit. Fifth cast, this was it, fish rose, took the fly, was returning to its lie, Vince smiling, no hookup. I offered my sharpening stone to Vince on the return trip but he declined.

Again, thanks Vince for the truly awesome day.

Rick

post-22-1125980220_thumb.jpg

...man you guys had one fantastic day...too bad I could not join you guys, other plans kept we away from fishing on Saturday and Sunday, the weather didnt help none either...awesome pictures from both...keep up the picture posting...talk to you guys on Wednesday...

Paul

Rick and I had an awesome day on the water - never fished that part of the river before and I'm glad Rick and I decided to stay after lunch instead of heading to the Erith.

That last fish that Rick was talking about was one smart cookie. Rick and I laughed so darned much I thought I was going to pee myself. I could see the fish rise and take Rick's fly and spit it right out - 5 or 6 times and the little guy then did the same to me for 5 or 6 trys. Finally I said " you win - catch ya next time" thanks for the dance. You'd like the water Paul - though I damn near went for a dunk again....must buy a wading staff.

The storey on the cows is in my last weeks report on my trip with Dave Robinson to the Edson River. Not the same place that you, Dan and Doug went. Anyway, go to FISHING REPORTS and look up my report on the EDSON RIVER. That post will tell all. My only regret is that my camera ran out of batteries because the picture I wanted to take was of Dave having a conversation with the cows.

Hope to see you Wed. night.

Vince

Guys, I did in fact screw the order of pictures but this is the first time that I've managed to post pictures. I am now have " The Force"

Vince

:laugh:

Ahhh. ROTFH! Tears in my eyes! As long as that's all you screwed. No velcro mits and platform wading boots I hope?

May the "Farce" also be with you too Vince. Yeah, I realy need to teach you something about "photo chopping" next. :D

I will take you on as my "Padawan".

:yoda:

Now I want that cow print in about a poster size to place over my flybench.. right next to my new Jessica Simpson poster.

Also. Congrats to "P-acres" whom is no longer a "Grayling Virgin" after the weekend. Caught his first at the "Rathole" -- which he later took a "Dive" in. Mikey D will know where this spot is as he too lost his virginity there, as did Scratch & Hepcat last year.

But sussshh.... it's a secret hole that I take the boys out to loose their virginity at. :ph34r: Like Scratch said Vince... we may have to trade blindfolds one day. The road in kinda looks like the one in that movie Deliverance... but don't let that scare you.. it's still way better then the Big Stone road.

post-22-1126029935_thumb.jpg

RangerBob & Scratch

I'm all for trading blindfolds - I think I would get the better of the deal.

That whole area is pretty but the fishing does has it's up's and down's....some days far better than others but like I've said a hundred times " it can't be wine and roses everyday" The beauty of the whole area, as both of you know, are the willing trout and grayling. Some streams do better at providing an Athabasca or two ( just love to look at those little cuties ) as well as the odd brookie ( love those the same as the Athabasca's ). There are a couple of streams - further west and south from Vince Creek that I would like to get to but the roads or should I say the big TRUCKS on the road (when wet) scares the hell out of me. There is a CB channel that those truckers use to give each other a heads up - I need to find out what that channel they use that way I might be able to duck into a safe section as the trucks approach.

We really must do a day trip or weekend trip before the year is out. My problem now and till the end of October, as I was telling Rick, is that we are moving our office and warehouse stuff over to the south side and we've got a couple of stores that are in the early stages of a refurbish, so time is going to be tight. Unless one tries though nothing will happen.

I've always wanted to be a "Padawan" - though I'm thinking if I learn that stuff I may want to do some silly stuff so it might be best that I learn and master the posting of pictures first and move on in baby steps from there. I have to tell you that I get a charge out of how your able to blend in other photos's - very cool indeed.

Vince

PS. Scratch, was it my cow picture you wanted or RangerBob's

I've always wanted to be a "Padawan" - though I'm thinking if I learn that stuff I may want to do some silly stuff so it might be best that I learn and master the posting of pictures first and move on in baby steps from there. I have to tell you that I get a charge out of how your able to blend in other photos's - very cool indeed.

Vince

LESSON #1 - Don't post pictures of yourself to the Internet. You never know who's hands they might get into. Right Bowhunter. ;)

post-22-1126057433_thumb.jpg