Jasper National Park Fishing

RangerBob

Posted Image

I'm heading out to Jasper for a week on family vacation What's the fly-fishing opportunities like in the area? I've never fished it before.

Read on-line there are fish at Pyramid & Patricia Lake, and Maligne. Looking for a place to flycast from shore if possible.

TIA

Oh Cr@p I did this missive before, but lost it on an errant keystroke.

We were in Jasper on the July 1 weekend.

I didn't fish, but here's my observations.

Get your park's licence at Online Sports in Jasper

they may be able to give you current advice.

Talbot Lake - You need a boat and it's always windy. Never had any luck there.

Athabasca River - Very High! Wading Dangerous! If water levels down

try fishing where the Snaring River goes in with big WBs for Bulls.

Medicine Lake - level still pretty low. You might try where the Maligne goes in

but it will take a bit of a hike form the parking lot at that end.

There's another lake (I don't remember the name) thats' a hike the other way

from that same parking lot. No idea of castability.

Maligne Lake - You need a boat, but you can rent canoes from a concession

near where the tour boats depart. If you do, try the first narrows and troll back & forth. One of the guides said it was slow, but big fish.

Patricia Lake - Boat required as the edges are marshy. I've heard of big browns if you fish deep, but never had any luck myself.

Pyramid Lake - There was a green drake hatch the weekend we were there and a few decent rises. You need a boat, but the lodge rents canoes. Might be worth a couple of hours rental, even if all you do is sneak up on the loons. We got within 10 ft of mom and baby.

Moab Lake - Access off old highway between Edith Cavel and Athabasca Falls. Turn west at whirlpool river crossing. Easy 1/2 k hike in. You need to be a good roll caster though.

That's it for my experience lately.

Edited by dave robinson

Hmm... guess I'll just take pictures and leave only footprints this time.

I plan to do the boat trip to Spirit Island.. don't think they'll let me troll on the way there though.

I was also planning to do some Geocaches in the park as well. Best do them before they all get yanked too.

http://geocachingedmonton.com/ (See note here)

Interim Policy on Geocaching in Protected Heritage Areas Managed by Parks Canada

http://www.pc.gc.ca/docs/pc/poli/interim/geocaching_e.asp

Dave

I believe the lake you are talking about is Beaver Lake. Known for brookies. Casting from shore is tough, but not impossible. Roll cast is the method I used.

Only problem I have found with this area is that it gets very windy and end up with more knots in my line than time spent fishing.

Scenery is spectacular and the walk into the lake is pleasant.

RB

Hike up the trail to Beaver lake, if not for the fishing, but for great views. Been a couple of years since I have been in the area, but if memory serves me correct, you won't be disappointed.

The other areas we fished were Maligne and Medicine lakes. Both are excellent fisheries.

Enjoy your time in Jasper.

Jasper is where I'm heading this weekend.... I'll be starting off at the snaring river for whites and Bulls.... maybe even a possible AthaB rainbow...

YOu can always try the Miette river too... Just west of town... go straight west or head towards Banff.... either way you'll cross it....

Pyramid has big lakers.... gotta go deep this time of year...it's got rainbows too...

Rocky river has been known to be good.

Talbot...is for pike and whitesfish.... WHites are super hard to catch.... but they get HUGE!!!

there is also the valley of five lakes ...some are better that the others

If you want a real challenge... Try Amethyst...18K hike over a couple Mountains....

My Brother just got back on MOnday... 5 3/4 hours in... 3 out. He caught 3 Rainbows...one 6.5 lbs...27 inchs....Hardest hitting fish he said he ever had... Just about riped his rod out of his hand.... (wish I could have gone.... but work is too busy)

I wouldnt bother with medicine....

Maligne.... Could be real tough... definatly need a boat... and electric motor and tonns of batteries.... this is more of a full day trip if not a couple.... if you stay near home bay though find weedbeds and go head hunting..... That will usually work.... Get a chronoimid in the water when the tour boats go by.... it always seems to help with the waves bouncing the indicator....

Athabasca is fast ... but some places you can find slow areas...lots of walking though...best is to find where the smaller rivers enter

Best fly to use for whites there,.... bead head Gold ribbed hares ear.....

Good luck.... maybe I'll see ya... I'm staying at the Snaring campsite...

later

Good luck.... maybe I'll see ya... I'm staying at the Snaring campsite...

later

Thanks for the info. I'll pack a rod and reel and flybox or two just in case an opportunity presents itself. I won't be heading out to Wapiti until Monday though.

Medicine Lake is best in the Fall I hear when the lake drains through that natural hole in the ground eh? Can be muddy to get to though.

Oh yeah, I found the Park regs here and will scope it out further.

http://www.pc.gc.ca/pn-np/ab/jasper/visit/visit14d_E.asp (PDF)

http://www.pc.gc.ca/pn-np/ab/jasper/visit/visit14a_E.asp

ALSO, I had to hunt down the permit fee on another Govt' page though, and of course there's the daily pass into the park. Yeah, now I remember why I didn't consider fishing here before. Not as bad as BC yet though. ;)

http://www.pc.gc.ca/pn-np/ab/jasper/visit/...es_e.asp?park=3

FISHING

Per Permit

* Daily $8.00

* Annual $25.00

Valid at Banff, Jasper, Kootenay and Yoho national parks.

You can buy your parks license in Edmonton. I know they sell them at the fishing center. I'm not sure about the fishin' hole. But it can save you a trip into Jasper before you go fishing. You can also buy a license at the park gates... but if you get there too early or too late you have to go into town....

G'luck

I'm heading out to Jasper for a week on family vacation What's the fly-fishing opportunities like in the area? I've never fished it before.

Read on-line there are fish at Pyramid & Patricia Lake, and Maligne. Looking for a place to flycast from shore if possible.

TIA

If I remeber correctly Pyramid Lake has a bridge which goes out to the island... its relatively shollow in that area. If you bring waders you may be able to reach some rising rainbows.... THough its been awhile since I was up a Pyramid....There is another lake by the JP Lodge.... I cant remember what its called or whats in it... It's got the best beach in the park for relaxing and swimming.... never fished it though....have fun

Oh and about the fire fee.... That covers the fire wood .... unless that has changed too...

There are boats at both Moab and Beaver Lakes that you can rent from On-Line Sports in Jasper. Moab is good for small rainbows. Beaver is good for brook trout. One of the best spots in Beaver is at the outlet of the lake where the boats are stored.

I don't think Medicine Lake is open yet. The Maligne River between Maligne Lake and Medicine Lake is good for rainbows but I don't think it opens until August 1.

I've heard the fifth lake in the Valley of the Five Lakes is good for brook trout. I've never been there though. You can also rent boats there.

I don't think there are any fish left in Patricia since they stopped stalking a few years ago.

Best bet is to stop by one of the local fishing stores and get suggestions from them.

$16.00 per day for a park pass plus camping fees.... OUCH :(

But hey, the weather was nice and I caught a bunch of Rockies....

All on double bead head hares ears.... So, if your going try tying a few of these up.... have fun

I saw fish rising in Patricia, and a guy pounding it in a float tube. Also, saw some kids fishing huge ugly looking jigs off Pyramid Island bridge but no fish.

Medicine Lake... OMG.. huge risers at night! And, well Talbot Lake was full of boats with fishers looking for Pike.

Otherwise, I didn't see much else in the way of decent fishing. So glad I saved my money on Fishing Licenses and Fire Permits.

:rangerbob:

post-22-1122678480_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Get your park's licence at Online Sports in Jasper

they may be able to give you current advice.

You can also get your parks licence here in town at the Fishing Center....Also, at the Park gate if you wish....

That way you can stop and fish on the way in or fish by the campsite if you stay at Snaring.....