local brook trout lake

fishman

I have been wanting to go there for some time, I tried one time but I think you need a 4X4 which I do not have, also aren't the "roads" up there that go to that lake "private roads"

More questions than anything. I am unable to go this weekend or I might have taken you up on your offer.

Feel free to pm me with any details of the lake in question, I have a satellite photo of the area but am still unsure of its exact location.

One day I'll get there, hows the fishing?

I've been there a few times. The roads are 'oil roads' but I think you can still drive on them. I haven't seen any signs banning public access. As 'oil roads' they can get a little sloppy at times, but I've been on far sloppier 'oil roads'. I suspect that one could get in there with a (non 4x4) vehicle providing there hasn't been days and days of rain prior.

As for the fishing, I've had very limited luck there. I've fished it 3 times now and caught 4 fish :angry: none larger than 13'. :(

Would like to hear how others have fared.

Tight Lines

I only have a 2 wheel drive and never have a problem getting into it.....as far as the lake...if u r not a very good brookie fisherman stay away ...it has very big fish and very hard to catch... i have been fishing it for 25 years and it took me quite a few years to be succesfull....i know the lake very well yet it can sting me at times. This is why the lake hardly ever gets fished is because of how hard they are to catch...that doesn't bother me i usually have it to my self 98 percent of the time. Yesterday was a slow day for me 3 hours of fishing and 3 fish but it didn;t bother me at all it was just nice to get away from people.

I fished it once many years ago and got skunked as well but I don't remember the roads being a problem at all. I also got the crap scared out of me when a helicopter came cruising by just over my head. I had my tube right in near shore and didnt hear a thing until it was literally right on top of me (it was cruising just above the treetops and they must have muffled the sound). One minute I'm casting to the edge of the lily pads all calm and relaxed and the next the sky is exploding right on top of me. It took me quite awhile to calm my nerves and just as long for my buddy to quit laughing. He said I looked like the tasmanian devil from the other side of the lake with all my spinning around and arm flailing trying to figure out what was going on. :laugh:

Good luck if you go but keep your eye on the sky!

Like i said this is not a lake for the normal fisherman, if u r a good brookie fisherman then u will like the lake....i fish brookies and browns more then anything, as i find they r a total diffrent fish and it takes a total diffrent stragey. I spend more fishing with wet line and don't really fish with a dry and a strike indicator. But i would rather cast and retrieve anyways. I have grown to love this lake and by sharing it with u i think that only a few will use it and appreciate it for what it is..... so i am not really worried about over fishing or harming the lake...i would rank this lake as one of the top brookie lakes for big fish but on the other hand i would have to say they r also the hardest to catch.

I spend more fishing with wet line and don't really fish with a dry and a strike indicator. But i would rather cast and retrieve anyways.

I couldn't agree more!!!

I have not used my floating line at all this year.

My last big trip resulted in about a 50/50 split between Rainbows and Brookies all on a wet line.

Also i would like to mention another lake up here that has big brookies, that is not going to last....it is Edith lake at swan hills....some how perch have got introduced into the lake and not just a few....it just about about seems like the stocking truck dumped the wrong patch into the lake.....the lake had came around very nicesly over the last 5 years to the point that we where catching brookies into the 19 inch range.....anyways i think the perch r going to take over the lake and the brookies r going to start to get small....i would have to say that this year and maybe next year it is worth fishing and then it going to go on a downward turn. Also i seem to catch at least 1 grayling every year that gets into the lake from the stream that ajoins it....the last one caught my son caught and it was in the 18 to 19 inch range. I am not one to blam all my secrets as i have lots of them still, i am sharing these lakes with u as edith is not going to be worth fishing in a couple years and emerald is a lake only for the avid

Thats another Lake I was gonna try soon as well, too bad about the perch :-(

I fished Chrystina for an afternoon a few years ago and had good success for smaller Brookies, but the mercury warning signs were a little disturbing.

Hows the road to Edith?

Thanks for all the info.

The road to Edith is ok if it hasn't rained but it can be fun if has rained,,,windy lake use to have the biggest brookies in the provinces but guess what over stocking lead to small brookies and now the suckers have take over the food base so u catch nothing but small brookies not worth fishing as u might catch a brookie like 11 inchs....Ken Schmidt has done a wonderfull job trying to turn around the lakes around Swan Hills, most of the lakes are stocked now with the proper amounts of fish to incure fish growth and catch ability. I have fished from one end of the province to the other and i feel lucky now to have some decent lakes to fish in my back yard that aren't over run by people....but on the other hand u still need to have enough people to fish them so u can maitain the fish population and size, and actually the Swan Hills area could use a few more people to fish it to maintain the sizes of fish, the think it is a balance thing and to find the balance sometimes is very hard.....i have most of the lakes to myself and i like that but i also like the lake to keep producing big fish and that where this forum comes in to educate all of us on our diffrent views...This area could not handle a big influx of people fishing it but it could use a few more to maintain it, for the size of fish that is.....just one mans opinion

Windy, has gotten quite bad over the years I have fished it, I have only been fishing it for 4 years, but when I started fishing it, I caught my biggest Brookie to date(17 inches), and last year I didn't catch squat.

Swan hills is sort a locals thing...and They like to keep it that way. Actually I have met locals who have denied some of the backer woods lakes exsitence... 5 pound rainbows east of windy...

3 pound rainbows northwest of windy

5 pound rainbows southwest of windy(Marigold Lake...Tough Access, sadly it is prone to winter kill)

marigold lake is a 7 k trek into by quad or argo or u can go by 4x4 or snowmobile in the winter...the winter kill in this lake is never complete as there is one hole that they survive in.........the growth rate in marigold is unreal because they never hurt the food source because of the partial winter kill...i have caught some nice brookies in this lake and the fall is best for open water...as spring the o2 level is down and it takes the fish until the end of may to come around. This lake is mostly hit by ice fisherman.

There is another lake in the area that they stopped stocking last year and the fish r just growing old in it....Stone lake has a growth rate compared to the old crawling valley res but it alos has winter kill every year and only a few make it every year....but if u want to go hook on to a big rainbow( and maybe only 1) that is the place to go....i have caught them alot bigger then any fish i have caught out of Swan.....but like i said they do not stock it anymore so the fish that r left r getting bigger and r just going to die.

Stone Lake is south of Swan Hills about 15 miles and then to the east another 4 miles...it is on the golden traingle snowmobile line actually just off of it...the lake is about 3/4 the size of swan lake....Like i said i am not really giving away any of my secrets as this lake is not being stocked anymore so the fish r just going to die....i have caught some monsters in here that would make swan lakes rainbows look small.....the lake has unreal hatchs....caddis r plentifull....has travelling sedges...has lots of minnows...mayflys...dragons...damsels...and the big bombers..

Okay, I know what your talking about now, I have just heard it by a different name in the past.

I live not to far away from swan hills actually I live directly east, and a few miles south(North of Fort Assiniboine), and It's were I do my majority of flyfishing, and I have only seen one other flyfisherman up there in the past, but its beautifal country up there.