Morinville / Cardiff

RangerBob

You can make them out of Mono, fluoro, uni-thread, nylon - indeed almost any fiber. I like the uni for light leaders (dry), and the nylon for stiffer nymph/chironomid leaders.

Cardiff had lots of rising fish, and yes, my "Cardiff Special" still works there... got them on the first cast.

I have an article posted here on how to tye my patent pattern.

These are also fishing VERY well out at Muir today as per reports from others whom have already tied some up and took them to the lake today.

http://flyangler.ca/index.php?option=com_c...id=47&Itemid=32

Posted Image

Posted Image

Share & Enjoy!

We need one dedicated for 'fly fishers'... and 'bass fishers'.

Image: http://www.lightningsafety.noaa.gov/media/mediate_poster.jpg

Link: http://www.lightningsafety.noaa.gov/media/

Story - "I caught you this cooked delicious Bass".

---

Survivor Story: Dave

Fishing Story to Believe

As a bass fishing sportsman, I have had the delight of being able to fish in many bass tournaments here in central Florida. I have always had fishing in my blood, starting as a young child. Fishing has always been more than a sport to me, it's been a way to relieve stress brought on by our normal lives. My story starts on September 10th, a Friday night, as my partner and I usually set out for evening of fishing at a nearby lake. Both Brian (my partner) and I have been on the lake when the normal thunderstorms move through the Orlando area. We both have always had a deep respect for lightning and as with most sportsman, we know when it's best to hit the barn and be safe.

Brian and I were at the lake that night only for about a half hour, when a storm was moving closer to us. The sky's began to get that purple glow and a mist of rain had started. I told Brian that we needed to stay close to my van since that night we were fishing on the bank of a canal that fed the lake. We both had made the comment that we didn't want to get fried like a fish.

As the storm got closer, so did the lightning. I told Brian it was time to go, and I walked past him on my way back to the van to stow away my gear. Brian being the die hard fisherman he is, just wanted one more cast. I grabbed my graphite rod and walked back to the edge of the canal, also to get one more cast before leaving. Just as I cast my worm to the other side of the canal, lightning hit me. As it happened, I knew what was going on, but could only think about my family and kids at home.

I laid at the edge of the canal, waiting for Brian to come help me, which seemed like forever. The lake bordered the airport here in Orlando, and Brian started running to a nearby hanger to call for help. I could only wait, as I couldn't feel my legs and my arms wouldn't work. I was sure that I wouldn't make it out of the field alive, the thoughts that run through your head are so unreal.

Help did come, and so did the storm. By the time the fire rescue showed up the storm was in full force, lightning and thunder filled the sky's and it was raining so hard you could not see the other side of the canal 20 feet away. I remember even the fireman that night saying if they didn't get me out soon, they would be the next victim. News that the hospital helicopter could not make it to the site because of the weather made me realize the severity of the situation.

I did make it to the hospital and spent 30 days in the intensive care burn unit. My body covered with burns over 60 percent of my body. Anyone who has ever been burned and has had to endure the scub rooms and the treatment given to heal such severe burns can understand what I went through, as for others who can only imagine.....you can't. I had two different sets of surgery and skin grafts to repair the damage to my legs.

While in the hospital I was given the normal titles....FLASH.......SUPERMAN and my wife's favorite SPARKY. Its OK with me, I call my self names too. I'm now in physical therapy to help me regain use of my legs. I'm glad to say I have made great progress during therapy. The physical damage it's self is almost gone, but the mental damage will take a longer period of time to overcome. I have now the need to inform as many people as I can. I think I have learned a lesson that doesn't need to be repeated.

All of us that have spent any amount of time on the water knows that sometime no matter how bad the weather gets, we have fished in lightning and severe storms.

I live next to a park that has a lake in it. This lake is controlled by the Florida Fish and Game, they have field trips from schools to teach what it is a game warden does, to maintain the quality of the lake and FISHING. They also teach the catch and release ideas and allow the kids a few hours to fish the lake (bait and gear supplied).

I have had the great pleasure to be able to attend these classes and share my story. These kids are magnets for knowledge. You show them what lightning does and explain the 30-30 rule, and they will remember it into their adult years. These kids can hold my now "real lightning rod" and see the damage, ask questions and get some answers first hand.

I have also made trips to both of my children's school during their "Parents Occupational" classes. They too walked home with a new understanding and appreciation for lightning. You don't have to be on the lake to get hit from lightning. You can be in your own yard, on a bike or the playground, it will still find you if you don't follow simple rules like the 30-30 rule.

This rule states that if you see lightning and can hear the boom before the count of 30, the next place that lightning could hit is right where your standing. And don't go back outside until no lightning strikes for 30 min.

I hope you all keep this information in the back of your head, and next time your on the water you'll think "Is it worth one more cast."

Good post (see above) I've never heard of the 30-30 rule...

Though, I must admit I won a fishing tournament one time when I caught a fish in the middle of a thunder storm... Hard to call it a day when the fishing gets hot...

but errr ugh... that would suck big time...

I dcn't go by the 30 -30 rule,

but it's pretty close to my rule of thumb.

My estimation as follows.

Count the seconds between a lightning flash and the thunder.

Divide by 7 gives the number of miles away the flash is.

Anything under 5 miles is danger zone.

If your count gets beolw 35, you feel tingling, your hair starts to stand out

or you see blue dischare from high objects,

then immediately sit down crosslegged on the ground.

Don't lie down as strike potential across that much ground can be dangerous.

And, if fishing, above all,

PUT YOUR ROD ON THE GROUND and DO NOT TOUCH IT.

Other DO NOTs in a lightning storm

DO NOT stand under or close to trees,

DO NOT stay in a boat on the water

DO NOT stand beside power or telephone poles

Do NOT remain in the middle of open fields.

Make sure you are not the tallest thing witihin a 45 vertical degree angle

The best refuge is inside a car or a building with lightning protection.

Lighting is nothing to fool around with. It kills.

Oh Yeah, just in case you think I'm being alarmist,

one of the things I do for a living is design lightning protection for buildings.

I'm geeky but not that geeky to carry a calculator with. Divide by 7... okay. Fortunately we had decent weather after all.

Oh yeah, "Stupid Time" happens out there around 10:30 PM. Unfortunately the gates get locked down about 11:00 PM (now enforced).