Alberta Klave 2 uh-oh 5 - June 24-26, 2005

RangerBob

Tony Blake just confirmed he'll be up to the Klave after all, and he knows his wildflowers too. Bring a camera along!

-----Original Message-----

Sent: June 15, 2005 3:52 PM

Subject: RE: Clave confirmation

Wally,

My ship came in! CP finally gave me a week of vacation starting Monday, June 27. If I book rest on Thursday night and take stat holiday on Sunday, I'll be able to make it to the Klave. Look for me on Friday night.

I won't have time to do a lot of fishing since I also have to do some botanizing on the Cardinal divide, but at least I'll be available to quaff some rum and smoke ceegars with the assembled Canffists.

Tony Blake

Red Deer, Alberta

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just 7 More Days!

Hope you got your swap flies tied up!

:D

Klavemasters would appreciate any extras (right Lance and Wally?)

If there are extras, we'll try to assemble a set for a raffle prize there, and perhaps one to bring back to the "World" if we get out alive.

Oh yeah, Pacres said he can't make it today.. so moved him to the Dropout list just now.

RB and Wally:

Any idea what the recent deluge has done to water levels on the Embarras?

Not that it would deter me from going, just whether or not I bring Chiquita.

I imagine we'll be getting a report from the Thunder Lake Crowd,

but that might not cover the area we're going.

Dave R

...just got in from the Brazeau trip...the Embarras, it is running pretty high and is very similar in looks of chocolate milk...not to mention moving very fast.

...all streams in the areas we were at, were all blown out...roads were washed out in some areas and in others, they were simply overcome by the deluge of the amount of rain received in the two days.

...the pembina in areas, was right next to the forestry trunk road, any more rain and it will cross the road...by the way, the lakes in this same area, had the water level raise by at least three feet.

RB and Wally:

Any idea what the recent deluge has done to water levels on the Embarras?

Not that it would deter me from going, just whether or not I bring Chiquita.

I imagine we'll be getting a report from the Thunder Lake Crowd,

but that might not cover the area we're going.

Dave R

Wally's been in the city for the past few days, but I asked him to take a peek again.

Checking on-line (Athabasca Drainage System) reveals the current flows, which haven't changed much at all (looking at the numbers). Should make for a fun ride.

I've also added this info to the Klavepage... which is only 4 days away now!

http://www3.gov.ab.ca/env/water/basins/BasinForm.cfm

REAL-TIME FLOW DATA (EMBEDDED IN POST - WILL CHANGE AS LEVELS DO)

http://www3.gov.ab.ca/env/water/ws/data/hy...REMBBDIV-WL.txt

Posted Image

http://www3.gov.ab.ca/env/water/ws/data/hy...REMBMAMA-WL.txt

Posted Image

Long Term forecast for the Edson area is calling for more rain. So, as backup we may have to look at the local lakes in the area, of which one Wally also reported is up about 3 M as well. This would be the first Alberta Klave we ever got rain on. I don't think it will deter the die-hards though... and just means I need to make a bigger fire... and no water needed for the Scotch.

http://www.theweathernetwork.com/weather/c...es/CAAB0104.htm

post-22-1119248420_thumb.jpg

"I’m going out today to see if the Embarrass was spared the mess. Everything else is blown out right now. There are creeks that will be high but still clear and very fishable but not the quality of the Embarrass at its best."

Regards,

Wally Lutz

Edson, West Central Alberta

Heart of the Yellowhead.

“The wild fish were as the wild air, no mans possession but the free gift of God."

Arthur Ransome

<Mikey D just called me... seems Mike Griffith is dropping out of the Klave>.

Here is a field report from Wally just in:

--

Hi All, Norm and I spent the afternoon driving through the Embarrass country looking for something that wasn’t blown out and found nothing. Four days will bring the water levels down but fishing will still be tough. I’m in it for the long run. Still be fun to go for a camp and a drift on the river.

Wally

1st Chocolate water photo is of a tributary that is usually clear even after a rain:

post-22-1119321082_thumb.jpg

Pic 6, and final. So... I am still in for the long haul. I also heard HepCat has been thinking about dropping out. I guess our options are to hit the local lakes nearby. Fairfax and Fickle if the water doesn't clear up much before then. Fortunately the weather forecast for that area has improved somewhat.

post-22-1119321391_thumb.jpg

River fishing looks to be a bust, so lakes it will be.

Only I haven't talked to Ballast to see if he's coming.

Anybody else wanna ride shotgun in Chiquitta?

I'm even contemplating going out Saturday morning

rather than Friday night.

Still will pay my share of camping fees though.

Dave, since I was planning to walk and wade this trip, I would like to take you up on your ballast offer. I"m planning on going Friday sometime and leaving Saturday evening.

Hank

Sounds like Dave has a choice this time. Jim Fox also volunteered as Ballast.

Okay, who weighs more. =)

-----Original Message-----

Sent: June 21, 2005 12:46 PM

I'm up for ballasting!

I intend on heading out from Calgary on Thursday (because I need to be home

early Sunday). Will anyone else be around Edson?

Jim Fox

Calgary, Alberta

"This fly-tying process becomes, with snow over the window ledges and the

river blocked and soundless for miles, an act of faith and will." David Adams Richards