What's up on June 1

Michael Dell

Here is what I am tying on June 1 (next week, I didn't realize it was so soon!)

Catatonic Leech

Hook: 2xl nymph hook size 10-14

Thread: black or olive

Weight: lead wire or lead substitute

Tail: olive marabou

Body: olive marabou, dubbed

I will also be demonstrating how to tie a poly indicator and how to fish the fly.

Useful links: Catatonic Leech

Indicators

Michael

Mike,

Don't do it. They can't handle the success. The interent will fail due to bandwidth of pictures flowing forth and back from all the large fish caught . Turkeys will be become an endangered species [ that is where marabou come from - can't shoot marabou storks any more - they are too busy packing babies around]. Olive green dyes will be sold @ premium prices.

Ye Gad!!!

No fish will be safe.

catch ya'

Don

O.K. River Keeper of the Stauffer..this only works if you know whow to fish it. If you hate watching paint dry, this fly is not for you...

You! refering the masses that haven't fished the green tonic. Green Tonic (regular) or Green tonic (light) with out all the calories, (unweighted). Bet you didn't know this existed Don. The fish I talked to all prefered the regular stuff....

Flyfish,

What is the "light/regular" green tonic? Never heard of either. Mind you I haven't bought all the magazines on the stands for years and my reference books only number in the hundreds. I'm stuck!

So, fess up. How's it tied and how do you fish it?

And the C. Leech is for those the don't like to watch paint dry but want to catch a few.

Alford Lake a couple of years ago was a good example. Twenty three anglers fished there when I did. Seveteen fish caught, the C. Leech got 16 of them.

catch ya'

Don

Hi Don,

Did some experimentation with the leech back a few years ago. Catatonic was quite a large word to yell across the river, since I drank club soda, Roman thought I was drinking tonic water hense the name green tonic. The regular (weighted)worked quite well tied the way you tie it a true lake fly for the Rocky area, Alford and Struble as well, seen Lloyd Shea catch a few fish with it. The light was my version for the creeks, chucking lead was way too heavy, tied with a single marabou with fine green wire and the body teased with a dubbing brush. Worked well from the North Ram, Elk, Vetch, Prairie etc... work o.k. at other watering holes.

Quote - O.K. River Keeper of the Stauffer..this only works if you know whow to fish it. If you hate watching paint dry, this fly is not for you... ...

Works well with an indicator at about 8 feet about the fly. Cast and let it sit till the cows come home..(the secret). Keeping your line tight dont move the fly. Give it small twitches every few minutes. This works really well in early spring.

Flyfish,

Looks like a CL [ that's short for Catatonic Leech]. Like you, I've used them with success in a number of none lake situations. Both lightly, med-heavy and heavily weighted.

One thing I really like about fly tying is the diversity of flies is only limited by imagination and the fish. Forget the pocket book!

As I catch most of the fish on a olive, that is what I generally suggest as a starting color. While I hadn't had a lot of luck on black, I suggested it wasn't a good color. After getting my butt kicked by a angler fishing a black CL, opinions change.

I've tie and use CL's in olive, brown olive, bright olive, summer duck, grey, black, with or W/O flashabou, with flashabou overback and on and on. Have about 100+ in the PB @ anyone time.

As far as fishing them, depending on water depth/fish , from 1.5>30' are within the target zone. Move them or not, rip them or not, sometimes still works or not. Your choice.

Have fun,

Don

• 3 weeks later...

In my opion, looks not too bad.... but, try try not to tie off on the eye of the hook. Makes it had to tie onto your line. maybe even add 3 or 4 strands of crystal flash in the tail on some.... that helps sometimes.