F&W Checking up at Muir

Scratch

So - just received a call from Fish and Wildlife regarding our activities at Muir Lake on the weekend.

Seems that a visitor / user of the lake saw the IntrepidAnglers at work - and called us in.

Now - that in and of itself is a very good thing. While I'm a bit disappointed that it took 2 days to get in touch with me - rather than a trip to the water on Sunday AM, I'm glad to see that both the system, and the regs are being enforced.

As relayed to the F&W officer, and as evidenced by our use of GPS for time compliance, we were indeed within the regulations, and the spirit of conservation.

--------- So just so that everyone here knows

We fished ONLY after the 12:00 midnight line - officially May 1st.

We used NO lighting to attract or otherwise stimulate the fish (the northern lights did most of that...)

We used NO incidental lighting (until post-catch) for video - relying only on short range infra-red on camera (this doesn't penetrate ANYTHING - levels are in the <1lux range)

We fished only artificial flies, and released all fish caught (regardless of the 50cm min)

In short - I would certainly hope that those here on the forum understand that we - like you are both concerned with the health and overall success of lakes like Muir, and that we - like you are as concerned about abuse of that resource.

I just think it's funny that my plate was called in - yet I'm the one with the Report-A-Poacher stickers all over the truck.

In any case - real glad that people are watching out there.

:o That's insane. I never got a call.

I just think it's funny that my plate was called in - yet I'm the one with the Report-A-Poacher stickers all over the truck.

Hmm I wonder if that's where they found the RAP phone number? :lol:

It's great that they check up on the reports, but 2 days is alot of time in between. At kleast you can be assured that there will be a follow up if you do file a complaint.

So - just received a call from Fish and Wildlife regarding our activities at Muir Lake on the weekend.

Seems that a visitor / user of the lake saw the IntrepidAnglers at work - and called us in.

Now - that in and of itself is a very good thing. While I'm a bit disappointed that it took 2 days to get in touch with me - rather than a trip to the water on Sunday AM, I'm glad to see that both the system, and the regs are being enforced.

As relayed to the F&W officer, and as evidenced by our use of GPS for time compliance, we were indeed within the regulations, and the spirit of conservation.

--------- So just so that everyone here knows

We fished ONLY after the 12:00 midnight line - officially May 1st.

We used NO lighting to attract or otherwise stimulate the fish (the northern lights did most of that...)

We used NO incidental lighting (until post-catch) for video - relying only on short range infra-red on camera (this doesn't penetrate ANYTHING - levels are in the <1lux range)

We fished only artificial flies, and released all fish caught (regardless of the 50cm min)

In short - I would certainly hope that those here on the forum understand that we - like you are both concerned with the health and overall success of lakes like Muir, and that we - like you are as concerned about abuse of that resource.

In any case - real glad that people are watching out there.

Did we account for Six Classes of know GPS Errors

Ranging errors are grouped into the six following classes:

1) Ephemeris data--Errors in the transmitted location of the satellite

2) Satellite clock--Errors in the transmitted clock, including SA

3) Ionosphere--Errors in the corrections of pseudorange caused by ionospheric effects

4) Troposphere--Errors in the corrections of pseudorange caused by tropospheric effects

5) Multipath--Errors caused by reflected signals entering the receiver antenna

6) Receiver--Errors in the receiver's measurement of range caused by thermal noise, software accuracy, and inter-channel biases

You may be stunned, we may be fishing before May 1st

I am surprised they even followed up, thought they would be out riding their new quads. Doesn't matter anyway the fish were introduced into this lake to be fished out only a matter of time! Seems like the Report-A-Poacher sticker means I am a poacher report me... taking mine of my truck.

Doesn't matter anyway the fish were introduced into this lake to be fished out only a matter of time! Seems like the Report-A-Poacher sticker means I am a poacher report me... taking mine of my truck.

What are you ranting about Roy Boy? :P

Sounds like you need to go fishing soon! :fishing:

Regardless of all those potential errors I still bet they were legal

Sum total of errors is probably no more than about 10 milliseconds.

Being out that much may make a poisitional diference of a half meter or so.

That's important if your'e predicting satelite location based on ephemeris data,

but by the time you check your watch against the GPS, it's already too late. ;)

Report a Poacher Signs as a trigger for some crank to call the F&W?

What a novel and ironic concept. Better not use a cell phone though.

They can trak you and there are laws against that kind of mischief. :angry:

So Roy Boy can probably leave the signs on his truck.

Besides, he doesn't fish anymore anyway. :lol:

"Chucks..." You flyfishermen are the greatest, just when I thought I had you all...... who's going out tonight for the minows minus the brood stock?. Can I bring my lawn chair an cow bell. By the way the geek always takes blame...eh..eh..eh, if I was there it would been us both.... Since you gentlemen were out fishing, I was doing a little poaching of my own..can't show you fish that would be incriminating, but got some spots and honey holes for our trips in the summer...aaaah.

post-25-1115235652_thumb.jpg

Digging up the backyard for a few red chronomids, gots to fill the Hills Bros. coffee can once more, will remember to bring the berkley cherrywood this time, there's a good chance I will be out to watch how real flyfishermen fish lakes for fresh tamed farmed trout. Ah..ha.. P.S .... I won't tell Norman McClean.

post-25-1115238906_thumb.jpg

OooOOooOHhhh.. look at you nastyboy...  FlyFish - right.

Going out to Muir with us tonight with your Baited gill nets too?

:ph34r:

Yup, see you at the lakeside NLFTF meeting tonight. I'll likely bring Red Dwarf so Flyfish can chuck weights at us. Or, we can throw our anchors toward shore.

Buster needs to fish for stockers!!

:fishing::fish_jump::fish_jump::fish_jump::fish_jump::fish_jump::fish_jump::fish_jump::fish_jump::boat: :boat:

(Flyfish)......................................................(Fresh Fish).......................................(RB) (Scratch)

Some thing tells that the minnos will be in shell shock and stay close to shore where they were released this morning. This should bring the broodys in closer for better look..so no need for the Santa Maria say's Christoper Columbus. Lawn Chair casting at it best!!

Flyfish

Pictures are great but would be better if you gave them a name.

Vince

GPS co-ordinates will work too.. if Roy can ever find his new unit. Kids lost it. =)

Red Dwarf is full of gas.. and I am outta here.

Scratch:

Nice detecive work there me man!

K country it is.

Looks to me like a certain Holland guy's creek

found on the shadowed side of the valley

just before you get to the prairie ditch.

Another nice spot is further down on the warm side and up the hill a ways.

A Colorless Tchikovsky's Ballet in the spring can be a hoot.

There's a bathing pool on the way in.

Just ask Wooley