First trip to Muir - to go fishing

TimD

After reading about people who were fishing at midnight, I figured I better open the gate earlier than 9am. So I left the house after 6 and opened it at about 6:45. There were already about 10 vehicles in the parking lot and one boat on the water (they carried it the 200 feet to the water - sorry guys).

I went to put my boat in and discovered a leak - a big one and there was no way to patch it so I ended up fishing off the dock. I used a green sparkle leech and a chromie under a strike indicator and managed to land a few fish. As it turns out I caught the same number of fish that the people who I talked to using tubes.

Rod came by with his boat and I snaggled a ride fishing and we went to the other side of the lake. Rod got a couple casting a black sparkle leech (slow retrieve on a fast sinking line) and I bobber fished a couple of chironomid patches (to no avail) Then we went to the south east corner and saw a bunch of chironomids come off. Fish were rolling on them but I could not get any on the indicator although I had a few hits. Then we moved toward he island and found a bunch of fish swirling on the emergers/adults and I managed to get a couple on the surface. I averaged about one landed per hour - not bad not good but way better than not fishing. It was a bit cold and rod guides kept freezing up - making it a little hard to cast.

When I left around 2:30 the parking lot was full (22 vehicles) and 3 parked in the ditch. There was also this guy in a motor home who drove past the rocks down by the dock and set up house. I think his license plate was efj 014 - but I am not sure and didn't write it down. I went over and let him know (in a very nice way that he was in a no parking zone) and he said sorry I missed the signs but neglected to move after I told him. Hopefully the county starts enforcing their rules.

The fish I caught were a lot thinner than last spring's fish and I think that has to do with the addition of 5400 fish in May of 2004. (More fish sharing the lake's biomass means less food per fish) I would guess that the growth rates will be slower this season because there are another 5400 fish going in on Wednesday.

I ran into a number of people who said that that they were told there was a bunch of keepers in the lake. I would think that the high average for the fish that were stocked would maybe be 18.5" and the actual average would be between 16" and 17". The average for the 2004 stockees are between 14 and 15" so they have not yet doubled in size from last year. I would think that we may see some 20" fish there around the end of September.

Regards,

Tim

because there are another 5400 fish going in on Wednesday

Hmm... and you thought it was a zoo on opener day. Wait till Wednesday now! :o

Guess I'll plan to leave right after work then. :D Oh right.. there's an NLFTF meeting that night to.... riiigght. (See you there Dennis?)

My 3 biggest fish today were 17", 18", and 18.25" (taped on stripping apron), and a lot more were landed in the ~12-16" range. The three of us couldn't keep them off the chironomids and leeches. Those bigger ones pull like mad too :clap: ! For a freezing cold day, it was a shocker to catch something, let alone that many rainbows! :blink::fishing: You guys have done a great job with this lake! :)

After 4 hours in the tube this afternoon - without a single hit - I landed a nice 18" from shore. In fact - I am VERY certain - it's the exact same fish that RB got last night at 2am.

I love that lake.

After 4 hours in the tube this afternoon - without a single hit - I landed a nice 18" from shore.  In fact - I am VERY certain - it's the exact same fish that RB got last night at 2am. 

I love that lake.

Wednesday night... let's go chase the stocker truck from shore after work shall we. I need the pin back. ;)

With those numbers being reported I wouldn't be at all surprised if a "keeper" fish is hooked this year. I believe the regs are over 50 cm right?

A quick Google reveals:

50 centimeters = 19.6850394 inches

http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&q=50+cm+...le+Search&meta=

Close! Very close!

PS - I just pimped out my astrophotos to NASA and the Canadian astronomy magazines with links back to the NLFTF. I will let yah know if anything gets published.

After 4 hours in the tube this afternoon - without a single hit - I landed a nice 18" from shore.  In fact - I am VERY certain - it's the exact same fish that RB got last night at 2am. 

I love that lake.

Wednesday night... let's go chase the stocker truck from shore after work shall we. I need the pin back. ;)

With those numbers being reported I wouldn't be at all surprised if a "keeper" fish is hooked this year. I believe the regs are over 50 cm right?

A quick Google reveals:

50 centimeters = 19.6850394 inches

http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&q=50+cm+...le+Search&meta=

Close! Very close!

PS - I just pimped out my astrophotos to NASA and the Canadian astronomy magazines with links back to the NLFTF. I will let yah know if anything gets published.

Try to get the big one before Wenesday (stocking day) once stocked the big ones will be feasting on the fingerlings, and should be more difficult to catch....