Pontoon Boat Problems

dcomo

A fellow eager to get out fishing filled his boat to the recommended air presure at 6 AM. Temperature +3C. He fished all day till 3:45 PM. When he took a break he left his boat on shore with the pontoon facing the sun. Temperature +24C. At 4 PM we heard a loud bang and went to investigate. Here's what we saw...........(see below)

Lesson: Don't expect warranty! It's prudent to check your air presure at least once (mid day) especially here in Alberta with our huge temperature changes. :eek::blink::angry:

ED NOTE: Removed attachment - Doug, if you want to email me the image - I'll put it up for you.

Edited by Scratch

Doug

A note to all - this type of thing does happen but it is really not the tubes fault - if the tube is in the water than everyting is o k - the problems occur when the tube is removed from the water and beached or left anywhere out of the water inflated or when you change elevations then it is a wise man who checks the inflations level on a VERY regular basis.

Vince

Thanks Scratch. I need your direct emial address. Call me at work. 408-5500

Ouch. Why I wear a life jacket, and never over-inflate and store mine (Outcast) in the shade or under a tarp. :o

What is that one.. a Water Skeeter? Shore glad I didn't buy one now!!!

Yup, from +3C to +24C... without checking... that's just asking for problems. Right from the Outcast Website below, and in the instructions you get with the boat.

http://www.outcastboats.com/outcastboats/faq.shtml

2. How should I store my boat?

Answer: The two most important things when storing your PAC is to store it DRY and keep it out of the sun. Your craft can be stored inflated or deflated which ever is most convenient for you. Storing your boat out of the sun is the most important step to maximizing the life of your boat.

5. What is the proper air pressure for my boat?

Answer: You will have to adjust the pressure of the pontoons with the varying conditions. When you are transporting your craft you should have about a 1 in. to 2 in. give when you press on the center of the pontoon, and may have to adjust with temperature and elevation changes. When using your craft you will only want about a half inch give when you press with your thumb in the center of the pontoon. Whether you are transporting or floating just keep an eye on it.

WARRANTY MAY BE VOID IF NOT FOLLOWED. ;)

That all said, does anyone know where I can locate a cheap electric hi-volume flow pump in the city for for a PT boat?

I seen one in Wally*Mart that uses 4 D-Cells but not sure if the valve will fit. I've hear Colemans has one for about $29 or so. All the places I've seen list for $150?

I got one of those Coleman Air pumps. It's a 12-volt one that I keep in the car.

yeah...it inflates at a good speed. But when the the tubes are full, you can't get more pressure to inflate properly.

I just got a dual action hand pump...Man...I wish i got thing last year...

It's an outcast brand...Paid something like $30. But it's fast and gets the right pressure.

But that's my 2 cents. :box:

Dario

RangerBob

I picked up a pump at Canadian Tire a few years back. Works great and plugs into the car lighter socket or with an adaptor it can connect to a 12 volt battery. I can't remember the name but it's blue and white in color. Fills my float tube in about 20sec per tube and then I finish it off with a foot pump. Ah, now I remember - the brand name is Intex and cost about 30 bucks.

Vince

Stopped in at Cajun Tire after work. Got the Coleman 12 V pump.. and Nike pumped the PT in the living room again to check for leaks. None detected so I am off to Muir.

Oh yeah.. I got it for basically free with all my Funny Money points I accumulated there. So, not a bad deal.

Still need the hand pump to finish it at the end, but meh.. I won't be breaking a sweat before I hit the water anymore. Oh yeah.. list was $27.99.

Thanks for the tip! Now... all I need is an electric motor. Hmmmm...

RangerBob

Sounds like your good to go man. Missed you at the club last night - got your 20 spot in a special place in my wallet so whenever we see each other next it'll be there just awaiting to be handed over.

So I played around with my float tube the other night ( Fishcat - gotta love it for less than 200 bucks ) to check for leaks and stuff and all is well and good to go. While it was out I set up a couple of Float N Tote rod holders ( gotta love them too ) and the other day I picked up a fishfinder set-up from Scotty and i set up my fishfinder - holy smokes does it ever work well. Sets up real nice.

Set up is now done for the year and i've started a spare change fund so I can pick up a pontoooooooooooon boat - hopefully this August during one of the sales. With some good luck I'm on the water this weekend.

Catch ya on the water.

Vince

RangerBob

Sounds like your good to go man. Missed you at the club last night - got your 20 spot in a special place in my wallet so whenever we see each other next it'll be there just awaiting to be handed over.

So I played around with my float tube the other night ( Fishcat - gotta love it for less than 200 bucks ) to check for leaks and stuff and all is well and good to go. While it was out I set up a couple of Float N Tote rod holders ( gotta love them too ) and the other day I picked up a fishfinder set-up from Scotty and i set up my fishfinder - holy smokes does it ever work well. Sets up real nice.

Set up is now done for the year and i've started a spare change fund so I can pick up a pontoooooooooooon boat - hopefully this August during one of the sales. With some good luck I'm on the water this weekend.

Catch ya on the water.

Vince

Come to FNB on Monday and we'll spend it together. I owe Vince a beer too. ;)

Yeah, went to Muir last night instead of the meeting.. had a meeting with the fish.. but the fish never made the appointment either.

Ugh, all that effort to haul out the boat.. and HepCat outfished us all from the shoreline.

Keeping my eye out for a used / cheap float tube now so I can get in and out of the lake quicker. A PT is great for rivers and extended stays (i.e. Dolberg Klave), full day trips, but a real pain for a few quick hours I learned. Just ain't worth it.

Still I got it packed into my compact car and didn't have to bring the Bob Sled this time.

PS - I may be selling my fish finder soon. I found it's more of a hinderance to carry on the water with me then it's worth.

RangerBob

Will try real hard to be at the FNB on Monday.

What you say about hauling the pontoon out for a short trip is one of the main reasons I have not picked one up yet. Your right..for extended stays ...river use ...even a weekend trip - then the pontoon makes a lot of sense but for a short 4 or 5 hour fish you just can't beat a tube. I'm sure happy with mine and I see the price of the FishCat 4 is now down to 189.95 - not bad. I picked up a set of shoulder pack straps for it and tried it out in the house - seems to work o k.

Carrying anything on the tube or pontoon other than the bare essentials is always a pain in the rear end but I really enjoy knowing how deep the water is - so I pack the fishfinder, cables, battery etc. - no wonder my wife always asks why I pack so much stuff just for an afternoon...she may be right but I'll never admit to it.

Hope to be out on The Muir tomorrow ( Sunday ) ...like you - I've got an appointment with a few trout....and we'll see if they're going to show up.

Catch ya later

Vince