Cleaning Gear

Ian B

Howdy,

I am not too worried about this, but still better safe then sorry, so my question is whats the best way to clean your gear, in order to prevent a transfer of(for example) whirling disease to another lake, or body of water?

Thanks a bunch

-Ian

P.S. Happy Earth Day!

Howdy,

I am not too worried about this, but still better safe then sorry, so my question is whats the best way to clean your gear, in order to prevent a transfer of(for example) whirling disease to another lake, or body of water?

Thanks a bunch

-Ian

P.S. Happy Earth Day!

Earth Day... hmm.. I missed that one. Good thing I just recharged the A/C in my car with the enviro-friendly stuff (R-12A) today. :devil:

As for cleaning gear. When I came back from the Madison River in Montanna a few years back from fishing where whirling disease is present, I washed waders with anti-bacterial soap inside and out. Ditto for wading boots and ensured no mud was to be found anyplace.

For more information and tips, see below:

http://whirlingdisease.montana.edu/education/faq.htm

http://www.whirling-disease.org/ (See Prevention)

Thanks Lance!

I only knew It was Earth Day, because on google, they didn't have there usual layout, so I went to my flyfishing calender and it said Earth Day

I actually had to go check google.com to verify that it was before I posted... yeah.. they never seem to miss those things do they.

My Dilbert calendar had nothing on it for today.

Well I would of been a bit off wouldn't I?

But it does feel like summer!

Yes.. so much so... why I needed to recharge the A/C. Nothing better then coming back from a hot day on the stream.. with the windows rolled up.. and the A/C blasting. Yes.. it's almost Miller time.. in 7 minutes to be exact.

Now.. getting back on topic. Did you clean your gear yet for Spring? I usally lube the reels, and apply Scientific Angler line cleaning solution to my lines. Makes a big difference each year, and extends the life of said equipment.

Anyone else got cleaning tips?

The only thing I have done so far is clean my line, I don't know what to lub up the reel with, and last night, I felt like building my pontoon boat, since I hadn't got to use it since last august(School got in the way of more trips) so I built that and found a more efficient way of building it

The only thing I have done so far is clean my line, I don't know what to lub up the reel with, and last night, I felt like building my pontoon boat, since I hadn't got to use it since last august(School got in the way of more trips) so I built that and found a more efficient way of building it

Loon Reel Lube.. a bottle will last you a lifetime too.

http://www.flyfishusa.com/reels/abelra.html

I recommend you set up your pontoon boat in your living room first. ;);) Get the setup pat down first, and then keep the frame together all year long.

Thanks for the Tip!

I will have to see if the Fishing hole, or wholesale, or The Fishing center(which I have been meaning to go to for the first time) has any

I did set it up in the living room when I first got it, but when I set it up last night I set it up on some cardboard, just incase there were any stick on the ground with sharp edges.

Thanks for the Tip!

I will have to see if the Fishing hole, or wholesale, or The Fishing center(which I have been meaning to go to for the first time) has any

They should have it! Oh look... MILLER TIME!

Time to go pack up gear for Cardiff! L8TR!