4 replies to this topic

#1 fsa313

fsa313

PMD Cripple

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 27 April 2019 - 11:50 AM

Attached is the link to Brian Chan’s excellent chart on what bugs hatch when. It is for BC but it applies just as well to Alberta.

https://www.dropbox.... Chart.jpg?dl=0

#2 Pierre

Pierre

Adams Dun

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 29 April 2019 - 09:12 AM

Posted Image

The Phenological Fly takes the mystery out of meeting and matching the fabled insect super-hatches of the West with a proven and original approach to enhancing angling success. This guide links the appearance of the insect super-hatches (their phenology) to the blooming of native streamside wildflowers, shrubs and trees. Illustrated with detailed, full-color photographs of insects with their corresponding blooms.

So much water, so little time.

#3 Michael Dell

Michael Dell

Executive: Events

• Executives
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts

Posted 06 May 2019 - 05:56 PM

I do like The Phenological Fly as a guide, but I think Bob (God rest his soul) could have done better than using the Bastard Adams for all the mayflies.  A parachute pattern might work better on a long, slow glide where the trout get to inspect the fraudulent mayfly.

#4 Russell

Russell

Bare Hook and Maggot

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 08 May 2019 - 02:08 PM

Has anyone ever come across any serious Chironomid taxonomy for Alberta?   I was looking for general identification, Species level recognition can get really tough. 

#5 PeterSL

PeterSL

Executive: Treasurer, Communications

• Executives
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 08 May 2019 - 03:15 PM

I've read that there are about 15000 different species of chironomidae but  I've never heard of any comprehensive study of the species prevalent in Alberta. There's some localized studies but I haven't found them useful for angling purposes. Differences are so minute. Colour and size within a specific species can apparently vary based on water depth, lake/stream bed soil composition, phosphorous levels, aquatic vegetation, calendar etc. leading to arguments over what constitutes a sub species and so on.  You could check out https://scholar.goog...e alberta&btnG=   .  Good luck.......please let me know if you find anything useful. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users