4 replies to this topic

#1 fishlover

fishlover

Dragonfly Nymph

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 08:42 AM

I got sidetracked reading about fly lines for about 8 hours the last couple days. There is so much hype around fly lines I have no clue what really casts well with the typical "fast action" graphite fly rod  What's everybody favorite line for which rod? 

I like Orvis Hydros HD Trout on my 6 wt Orvis TLS Power Matrix  (12 year old rod) for casting dry flies and nymphing. I have a sink tip for chucking streamers that the fly shop chopper off the first ~ 20 feet of line. I wish I could remember what line that was.

I guess the bottom line is you have to go out and test different lines on your rod to see what really works.  Is it more complicated now to select a fly line than it was 20 years ago?

#2 dipperdan

dipperdan

Executive: Events

• Executives
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 05:12 PM

Great question.

#3 fishlover

fishlover

Dragonfly Nymph

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 11:17 AM

Has anybody tried a 406 line? They are designed for slower action rods.  They are suppose to be similar to the 444 Cortland series

#4 PeterSL

PeterSL

Executive: Treasurer, Communications

• Executives
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 12:38 PM

I'm far from being knowledgeable about fly lines but had heard about 406 lines from a friend in England. He fishes bamboo rods and  thought it was a great product. I think he said he liked the long front taper and it's very slick.

#5 fishlover

fishlover

Dragonfly Nymph

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 12 January 2019 - 11:46 AM

Thanks Peter I think I'll order one to try out this summer. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users