4 replies to this topic

#1 Jim Fox

Jim Fox

Adams Dun

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 08:20 PM

Following up to last year's trip to the Wildhay, the FF@/Former FF@/Whoever-shows-up group will be gathering on the Blackstone River the week after the August long weekend - August 8-13. The camp site will be where Chungo Road crosses the Blackstone (Google Maps says here 52.615902, -116.327583), where we camped the second year - west of the road. With luck any rain and hail will stay on the east side of the road.

The Blackstone is a fantastic central Alberta trout stream. It is a bit off the beaten path but fishes like it. Also, there are a number of other spots within day-trip distance. We may be able to do a long pontoon float through a section not accessible from the bank and thus virtually unfished. For the really affluent and adventurous, there are helicopter flights from nearby Nordegg up to alpine lakes that hold golden trout. There is really something for everyone.

The theme this year is traditional fly fishing - bring you tweeds, your north country spiders, your cane, and your deerstalker cap. Also bring your single malt, ale and anything else you deem traditional. We will swing wet flies on traditional horsehair and put our feet up with a wee dram at the end of it all. 

A special part of the experience will be remembering our friend Dell Coppock, who passed away late in 2016. On our first Blackstone trip, Dell just showed up at our campsite. He said he woke up that day and drove up from Spokane on a whim. We had a terrible few days of weather but it was a memorable trip all the same. I have a goal to be like Dell when I grow up...

We would be happy to welcome back any of you who have ventured to Alberta for one of these events before. If you haven't come before, this is your year! There will be lots of space for fishing, spectacular scenery and a warm receptive crowd around the fire. Pets and partners always welcome.

Jim Fox

#2 dipperdan

dipperdan

There's gotta be fish there

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,429 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 11:00 PM

Looking forward to the clave, We have had great times, southern Alberta and North Central. Haven't fished that area for many years. Thanks very much for doing this Jim. Irene and I should be out there....

#3 Michael Dell

Michael Dell

Executive: Events

• Executives
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 01:16 PM

Some memorable moments from that first Blackstone trip. (Not my first, but the first time I got to show these guys where I had been fishing.)

Huddling under the tarps while the hail pounded down all around us.  The drink of the clave: single malt scotch with hailstones.

Corn fritters. Alas we will never have the like again.

Desperately searching for any clear water to fish.  The Blackstone was dirty all the way up to the oil lease road. Thanks to local knowledge we found a few clear streams to fish. 

Kat Cruikshank's witty saying that I christened the defining phrase of the camp.  Not that I can repeat it here.

Rain, snow, hail, sunshine.  Followed by rain, snow and hail. 

Wally's excellent tarps without which we would have all packed up the second day.

Scoring a case of Big Rock Traditional. 

And then we came back to the Blackstone the next year at the right time and the fishing was much better. 

#4 DennisS

DennisS

Past President

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,560 posts

Posted 26 February 2017 - 12:17 PM

Hi Jim Brenda and I are sure hoping to be there again this year. Sure enjoyed last year. Blackstone area sure has lots of fishing oppritunities. I will make sure I have a couple of big tarps. If one comes prapared that way it won't rain. See you there.

Tight Lines Always
Dennis S.

#5 Jim Fox

Jim Fox

Adams Dun

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 26 February 2017 - 10:13 PM

Tarps will be great Dennis. Even if they are just to keep the sun off the beer!

Looking forward to seeing you there

Jim

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users