Arctic Grayling Project Update

kemo99

Hello anglers (and members of Northern Lights Fly Tyers/Trout Unlimited Edmonton).

We are extremely pleased to announce that the Alberta Conservation Association has fully supported our grant application for the 2014 Arctic Grayling project. This will be the fourth year of a five year program to collect information about grayling distribution and status in the upper Pembina River system, with a view to conservation and possible restoration of Arctic Grayling in this system.

In February of this year, Northern Lights Fly Tyers/Trout Unlimited Edmonton was presented the National Recreational Fisheries Awards (2013) by Fisheries & Oceans Canada, largely due to our Arctic Grayling conservation work. We are excited to carry on with our work and we are gearing up for activities in 2014.

Volunteer Opportunities
Fuel cards, maps, GPS units, and recording equipment are supplied for all trips.

Angling June 16-October

• Angling survey of designated sites in tributaries of the Pembina River.
  • Category 1 volunteers will go fishing at designated sites; record fish size, habitat conditions, GPS coordinates, take photographs and collect water samples.
  • Category 2 volunteers will receive additional training to use PIT tag readers and will have options to participate in PIT tagging and backpack electro fishing trips.

Temperature Monitoring May and October

• Install and remove temperature probes at designated sites; record GPS position and take photographs of the location, timing depends on water flow rates. Installation in late May or early June (depending on water conditions), retrieval in early October.

Conservation Signage June

• Install Arctic Grayling conservation signage at key access points in the Upper Pembina River watershed. Capture coordinates and photograph sites.

Stream Crossing Assessment Summer or Fall

• Use Alberta Stream Crossing Protocol (system adopted by ESRD/DFO) at bridge/culvert crossings on Dismal and Rat Creeks; assess fish passage, erosion/sedimentation issues; collect turbidity samples; training provided.

Underwater Surveillance October

• Use of dry suits/snorkeling, in the Pembina River and Dismal Creek to locate overwintering sites for Grayling (mountain whitefish, bull trout);.

Let us know if you are interested in volunteering for one or more of these activities and we will add you to the circulation list. Although these are volunteer activities, we can supply gas money or provide transportation to the site (with some scheduling restrictions).

We are currently discussing options with ESRD (Fish & Wildlife/Edson) to help coordinate our activities with government fish sampling efforts in the area. We need to know how many volunteers are available this year and how many folks would like to take on extra tasks as a Category 2 volunteer.

We anticipate that training sessions and distribution of maps and field kits will occur in mid to late May. More details to follow.

Thank you!

• Like 1

Excellent,

I am definitely interested in helping out with this in any way I can (time permitting). Who do I contact, or did I just do it?

Is there some sort of hazing that is involved in becoming a volunteer? Do I need to be anointed with magical waters from the Pembina?

All jokes aside, I really hope I can peel away and come give a hand when and where it is needed.

Cheers,

Chad