Jump to content

Most Liked Content

#33098 Hello

Posted by Kristi on 19 February 2017 - 06:41 PM

Hello, my name is Kristi better known as Grasshoppa and or The Knotty Angler I am happy to be back in the community, and on this site! I look forward to catching up and seeing what is new.

#32921 Stream Obstruction

Posted by Rockyman on 20 July 2016 - 06:41 PM

I was at my new favourite grayling stream (not one that is very well known) last week and was disappointed to find a major blowdown has occured a couple of kilometers up from the access point. I think there is a good chance that this is impeding upstream migration for the grayling and thus potentially hampering spawning. Based on the size of the trees I think it's going to be there for a while.


Is it worth contacting the provincial fisheries people (not sure what department to contact) to let them know about this or are they unlikely to do anything? I hadn't been to this stream for a number of years because during my last trip beavers had dammed up some of the best areas of the stream to fish. However there were no signs of beavers around and the former dams were all gone. The fishing was great - many grayling and even caught a couple of athabows.



#33144 2017 Fishing Regulations

Posted by PeterSL on 22 March 2017 - 08:41 AM

Regs available online at:  http://albertaregula...ca/fishingregs/

#33181 Stauffer Creek Under Threat

Posted by PeterSL on 17 May 2017 - 09:55 AM

Border Paving Ltd. has filed an application under the provisions of the Water Act for construction of an end pit lake and groundwater disturbance located in the NW 18-037-05-W5. This is at the headwaters of the North Raven River (Stauffer Creek) and could easily damage one of the best trout streams in Alberta. Right next to this proposed development are two conservation sites jointly purchased by ACA, Trout Unlimited Canada, and Alberta Fish and Game Association specifically for the purpose of protecting the groundwater feeding this stream. Even a minor change to the groundwater flow volume or velocity could have a major negative impact on overwintering and spawning areas for the brown and brook trout and could affect the number and type of aquatic invertebrates.

If you fish this stream or are a member of TUC or AFGA please consider letting Alberta Environment know your concerns as soon as possible.  You can do so by emailing aep.waapplications@gov.ab.ca referencing the application number: 001-00390571. They ask that you: Describe concerns that are relevant to matters regulated by the Water Act. [font="symbol;"]·[/font] Explain how the filer of the concern will be directly affected by the activity and/or diversion of water proposed in the application. [font="symbol;"]·[/font] Provide the legal land location of the land owned or used by the filer where the concerns described or believed to be applicable (the conservation sites are SW19-37-05-W5(Leavitt site) and NW17-37-05-W5 (Stainbrooke). [font="symbol;"]·[/font] State the distance between the land owned or used by the filer and the site in the application (they’re adjacent to the proposed construction area) [font="symbol;"]·[/font] Contact information including the full name and mailing address of the filer [font="symbol;"]·[/font] The phone number and/or email address for ease of contact.

Even an email as simple as saying please hold off on any approval for this until and unless there’s some study of the possible impact of digging into the springs feeding the North Raven might help in protecting this stream.

#33228 Log Haul On North Fork To North Ram Road

Posted by Don Andersen on 11 July 2017 - 07:42 PM



Attended a meeting this past week hosted by Sundre Forest Products [ SFP] who operate the Forest Management Area west of Rocky Mountain House.

SFP will be hauling approximately 28 loads of logs per day from the Gap Lake compartment to the Main Line Road.  This 8 km. section of road is part of the access to the North Ram River via that North Fork Road.

This section of road starts @ 52 19 44.6N 115 37 26 50W and ends at 52 18 11N 115 49 06.17W. This is the narrowest section of this road and dust will be an issue.

Be careful out there.


#33268 Northern Alberta Trout Lakes

Posted by fsa313 on 09 August 2017 - 09:54 PM

[font="'times new roman', serif;"]“Northern Alberta Trout Lakes” is updated. The link for the computer-view version is available at https://myalbum.com/album/NAFlYyJfNIXK[/font]

[font="'times new roman', serif;"]A glossy-paper printed version (21x15cm) can be ordered at https://myalbum.com/album/CssR3MluUOlk. To view the album, choose view as photobook and select landscape 21x15cm. Your cost (USD) shows in the left panel. 69 lakes are covered. Print quality and binding are excellent.[/font]

[font="'times new roman', serif;"]Neil[/font]

#33263 Fly Tying Award Goes To.....

Posted by PeterSL on 06 August 2017 - 05:08 PM

The International Federation of Fly Fishers’ Buz Buszek Fly Tying Award, the most prestigious award in the world of fly tying, has been awarded for 2017 to Tak Shimizu, a member of the Northern Lights Fly Fishers Chapter of TUC.  Tak was on hand at the annual FFF Fly Fishing Fair in Livingstone, Montana this August to receive the award together with a one-inch gold recognition feather.

Tak was recognized for his excellence in tying traditional Atlantic salmon fly patterns, for his hook making skills and his many years of demonstrations and donations at FFF events. He is well known for the same skills and generosity in the Edmonton, Alberta region.

Tak is not the first Edmontonian to receive this award in its forty-seven year history. The late Reg Denny was recognized in 2005. [color=rgb(68,68,68);] Reg[/color][color=rgb(68,68,68);] was an excellent tying instructor, both at his Fly Fishing Shop and at the Conclaves of the Federation of Fly Fishers. He developed many successful patterns especially for Alberta.[/color]

[color=rgb(68,68,68);]Congratulations, Tak, on behalf of all of us![/color]

[color=rgb(68,68,68);]Footnote: Tak is donating a framed 'Evening Star' for the club auction in November, together with some excellent #1 capes[/color]

#33247 Fisheries And Oceans Is Asking So..

Posted by Don Andersen on 25 July 2017 - 06:15 PM



Here is a chance for input to the Fisheries Act gutted in 2012.





#33218 Prussian Carp

Posted by Adams18 on 27 June 2017 - 07:50 AM

Hi all, 


I thought I could come to you all for some advice. At work we are looking to do a survey for Prussian carp in various waterbodies. Electrofishing will not work so I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions regarding how to catch these guys??


A HUGE thank you in advance to everyone!!!!



#33290 Cabelas' Ladies Day

Posted by PeterSL on 28 August 2017 - 02:51 PM

[font="verdana, geneva, sans-serif;"][color=rgb(31,73,125);]Cabelas has sent us an email as follows: [/color][/font]

[font="verdana, geneva, sans-serif;"][color=rgb(31,73,125);]"The Ladies’ Day Out event is scheduled for Saturday, Sept. 30th. The event is driven towards building women’s confidence in the outdoors and expanding their abilities through knowledge and expertise.  [/color][/font][color=rgb(31,73,125);font-family:verdana, geneva, sans-serif;]It is my hope that Northern Lights would be able to attend the event with a fly-tying station similar to how you have done in the past (Spring Great Outdoor Days)"[/color]


[font="verdana, geneva, sans-serif;"][color=rgb(31,73,125);]Please check your schedules and let Michael Dell know at the first meeting in Sept. if you're willing to volunteer. It's my understanding that it will be held from[/color] 10-5, that lunch is provided and that volunteers get the Cabelas' employee discount that day. [/font]

#33285 September And October Meetings

Posted by PeterSL on 23 August 2017 - 03:20 PM

[font="arial, helvetica, sans-serif;"]Club meetings get underway again soon, so here's a preview of some of the happenings that are in the planning stage:[/font]


[font="arial, helvetica, sans-serif;"]Thurs. Sept 7th 7:00pm:   Executive meeting at Karen's House to get ready for the year, discuss issues related to the club logo, charter, fall dinner and auction etc.[/font]


[font="arial, helvetica, sans-serif;"]Weds. Sept 13th 7:00 pm: First club meeting of the year at Queen Mary Park Community Hall. This is primarily a social get together to catch up on news, get reacquainted with other members, find out who's been catching what, where and how, etc.  [/font]


[font="arial, helvetica, sans-serif;"]Also at this and the next couple of meetings you'll have chance to fulfill an ambition of a lifetime - pick up a FREE rock snot collection kit!  [/font]

[font="arial, helvetica, sans-serif;"]Leslie Peterson, TUC biologist, needs our help. She's looking for more data on didymo (rock snot) distribution in Alberta, particularly north of Red Deer.  [/font]

[font="arial, helvetica, sans-serif;"]"Basically," she says, "we are looking for folks to take a [/font][font="arial, helvetica, sans-serif;"]Discovering Didymo Distribution sampling kit [/font][font="arial, helvetica, sans-serif;"]with them when they are hiking or fishing along various streams. [/font][font="arial, helvetica, sans-serif;"]We had a few members of the chapter participate in this program last year and I'm hoping to get some more samples this year. [/font][font="arial, helvetica, sans-serif;"]To collect a sample, you use the little scrubby pad in the kit to scrub algae off rocks then put the pad in the vial which contains a preservative. We then collect these kits at the end of the season and send them to the UofC to analyse under a microscope to assess whether or not didymo ("rock snot") is present. This helps us understand how widespread it is and ultimately better understand what may cause nuisance "blooms". The volunteers are also asked to fill in a data sheet or use an app called Epi-Collect 5 to fill in the data fields about where they are, what they observe, etc. [/font][font="arial, helvetica, sans-serif;"]There are instructions in the kit about how to take a sample and additional resources can be found on our website: [/font]https://tucanada.org...o-distribution/ "


[font="arial, helvetica, sans-serif;"]Weds. Sept 20th:  [/font][font="arial, helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:14px;"]Skylar Robertson is putting on a fly tying presentation - will have details later RESCHEDULED TO WEDS. SEPT 27TH [/font]
[font="arial, helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:14px;"]Also we need to vote on the donation request from the Bow River Trout Foundation (see details in the post 'One Fly Tournament - Sept 30th[/font]
[font="arial, helvetica, sans-serif;"]Weds. Sept 27th: Skylar Robertson will be demonstrating the tying of his 3 favourite minnow patterns - Lefty's Deceiver, Skylar's Minnow and the Colenutt Special[/font]
[font="arial, helvetica, sans-serif;"]Weds. Oct 4th:  Business  Meeting. There are some interesting issues to be presented and discussed. Members are also welcome to bring tying kits and tie as they listen and join in the discussion.[/font]
[font="arial, helvetica, sans-serif;"]Weds. Oct 11th: Clay Errikson fly tying presentation - again more details to come. [/font]
[font="arial, helvetica, sans-serif;"]There will be an opportunity for us to get a tour of  Superfly sometime this month or next, and possibly experience some other aspects of Superfly's appreciation for our promotion of fly tying and fishing. Superfly's Joe Belohorec is setting this up (by the way I saw him catch a 20"+ brown at Beaumont Pond last evening!)[/font]
[font="arial, helvetica, sans-serif;"]The Dinner/Auction is scheduled for Nov 4th. Donation request letters are available at meetings and if you'd like the letter customized with your name and addressed to a specific person or business, let Peter or another executive member know.  Some businesses/organizations want at least 2 months advance notice of donation requests. Canadian Tire has already made a generous donation to our auction via TUC  so please do not approach them for a donation.[/font]

#33289 Going Back To The N Ram

Posted by TJD on 28 August 2017 - 12:49 PM

I'll be heading there on Thurs 31 Aug for 3-4 days. I'll be camped in the old overflow on the west side of the Trunk Rd at the bridge. If anyone wants to join me you are very welcome to come.

#33175 Tu Dinner

Posted by vince on 16 May 2017 - 10:06 AM

Just wanted to say that I had a blast as a volunteer at this years TU Dinner and I want to extend a special thank you to Michael Dell who did an outstanding job organizing the volunteers and getting the job done.



#33237 Emerging Caddis

Posted by dipperdan on 24 July 2017 - 06:13 PM

Found this on Swan Lake south

Attached Images

  • DSCN0653.JPG
  • DSCN0651.JPG

#33195 Micro Spey

Posted by Cranberry16 on 31 May 2017 - 11:01 AM

Brian Greenwood here. I provided a lecture on Trout/NSR Micro Skagit Spey fishing with 2 handed 4 wt rods for fishing the NSR in the winter to the membership. Some of you may remember it. I am offering to provide a hands on introductory experience to any interested in learning to Spey. I will provide the lines, rods, reels, tips, and any other necessary gear (including Jameson Irish Whiskey) for interested parties to try it out. I can accommodate parties of 2. All you need provide are your own waders and boots. No fee, no commitment, no obligations to enjoy this unique expression of fly fishing. I will provide a refresher overview of the philosophy and application of Skagit Casting and then we'll get on the water and try it out. I understand the NSR is blown out right now and utterly unfishable. Don't let this deter you from exploring Skagit for an hour of your weekend. I will be directly under the Groat Bridge at 10:00 am on Saturdays. You will know me as I drive a green Chev Silverado. I may already be on the water directly below where my truck is parked. I will have a rod set up for you, so don't be a stranger. I do not represent any business or company, I'm not out to sell anything. I simply want to share my love for Skagit so I can find others to speak Spey with. ALSO, I will provide an opportunity for you to try your hand at single handed Skagit Casting, which is a way to partake of the sport affordably, as it converts your favorite flyrod into a Spey rod. Questions? Concerns? Please call or text Brian at 587 784 8841. 

#33176 Life Moves Pretty Fast.

Posted by RangerBob on 17 May 2017 - 12:01 AM

Posted ImageFlyangler.ca Reunion by Lance Taylor, on Flickr


"Life moves pretty fast. If you don’t stop and look around once in awhile, you could miss it." #JS  #FB #RB

:: http://www.ranger-bo...5-archived.html

:: http://ranger-bob.net/abk2008/


[color=rgb(20,23,26);font-family:Arial, sans-serif;background-color:rgb(245,248,250);]˙ɹǝǝq ɹo / puɐ 'ǝpoɔ 'ʎǝuoɯ 'ǝɯᴉʇ ɥƃnouǝ ɥʇᴉʍ ǝlqᴉssod ǝɹɐ sƃuᴉɥʇ ll∀[/color]



#28942 Gotta Bi"""ch

Posted by phly1 on 20 March 2013 - 09:53 PM

I was in attendance at the club meeting this evening and took in the tying demo that was presented. The young man said it was his first and had to do it as a fillin for the original person who was not able to do it. Jim could have just as easily postponed but instead tried to do something himself. I am not new to what he was doing but still the presentation held my interest except for those chosen ones in the back that seemed to think it was okay to hold conversations that were so loud that it disturbed not only the presenter but everyone else present. Maybe those persons would like to come up and volunteer to do a presentation and see what it is like. You are probably a bundle of nerves,you probably put a lot of time into being prepared and now you get the feeling that no one is interested. I have done plenty of these and to this day they still do not come easily. Some good natured heckling done in good taste actually helps but a group of people not even bothering to pay attention is a real distraction. The club seems to have plenty of nights where it is easy to visit for the whole meeting so I hope that in the future we can show some respect on presentation nights and be quiet. It seems if someone is brought in from outside the club we can manage this so why cant it happen when one of our peers steps up. They are there because they feel that they have something to offer so why dont we listen to what they have to say,after all everyone has to start somewhere and who knows one day it may be you up there. I will sign this as I am not ashamed of what I have to say. Thankyou.

Barry Phillips

#28090 Tie And Lie (13 Jan) Pics

Posted by Quentin on 13 January 2013 - 07:19 PM

Was a little late arriving, but snapped a few photos. Please take credit for your flies.

Here's Jim, the mastermind who put together the afternoon for us. He's hard at the job of teaching....

Posted Image

And here's her very first fly!
Posted Image

Some of the other flies that were floating around that I took photos of... (including a size 28 parachute adams)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#33845 One Fly Tournament - Sept 30Th

Posted by PeterSL on 14 September 2017 - 07:39 AM

Apologies for the late notice but we've only just received the information:


The Bow River Trout Foundation is holding a One Fly Tournament on Sept 30th to raise money towards the construction of boat launches at the Ogden Bridge and at Inglewood/12th. They are requesting a $600 donation from the Chapter. If approved at our Weds. Sept 20th meeting, Barry White will take two members in his boat at no charge to participate in the Tournament on Sept 30th. The two names will be drawn at the meeting from those interested in participating. If you are unable to attend but would like your name entered in the draw please email Treasurer@ nlft.org 

Fly selections are limited to one streamer, one nymph and one dry fly plus an alternate for lost flies. The alternate can be either a streamer, nymph or dry and can only be used once one of the three primary flies has been lost.  Tippet weights are to be used according to the fly being used: Streamer 2x (12lb), Nymph 3x (9.5lb), Dry Fly 4x (7.5lb).  Barry will provide more details at the meeting.

#33114 2017 Conclave - Back To The Blackstone!

Posted by Jim Fox on 24 February 2017 - 08:20 PM

Following up to last year's trip to the Wildhay, the FF@/Former FF@/Whoever-shows-up group will be gathering on the Blackstone River the week after the August long weekend - August 8-13. The camp site will be where Chungo Road crosses the Blackstone (Google Maps says here 52.615902, -116.327583), where we camped the second year - west of the road. With luck any rain and hail will stay on the east side of the road.


The Blackstone is a fantastic central Alberta trout stream. It is a bit off the beaten path but fishes like it. Also, there are a number of other spots within day-trip distance. We may be able to do a long pontoon float through a section not accessible from the bank and thus virtually unfished. For the really affluent and adventurous, there are helicopter flights from nearby Nordegg up to alpine lakes that hold golden trout. There is really something for everyone.


The theme this year is traditional fly fishing - bring you tweeds, your north country spiders, your cane, and your deerstalker cap. Also bring your single malt, ale and anything else you deem traditional. We will swing wet flies on traditional horsehair and put our feet up with a wee dram at the end of it all. 


A special part of the experience will be remembering our friend Dell Coppock, who passed away late in 2016. On our first Blackstone trip, Dell just showed up at our campsite. He said he woke up that day and drove up from Spokane on a whim. We had a terrible few days of weather but it was a memorable trip all the same. I have a goal to be like Dell when I grow up...


We would be happy to welcome back any of you who have ventured to Alberta for one of these events before. If you haven't come before, this is your year! There will be lots of space for fishing, spectacular scenery and a warm receptive crowd around the fire. Pets and partners always welcome.


Jim Fox