Trip Log

kemo99

Slow day on Unnamed Stream. The upper parts were pretty flat and muddy with not much relief. The lower parts showed promise, but the biggest fish we caught was about 3" long. We caught 3 in all, for a total of about 8 inches. Couldn't take a DNA sample without taking half a fish.

Checked out a lower part on Dismal. Water was fishable, but only about 2 foot visibility.

better luck next week.

• 2 weeks later...

...Dan, Irene and I are heading out to fish Dismal Creek this weekend...Dan and Irene are heading out Thursday night and I will be meeting up with them early Friday morning...Doug is also meeting up with us early Friday morning...we are staying until Sunday...looking forward to exploring new waters...will post report and pictures when we get back home...

...talk to you later...

...Paul...

We had a great time learning how and where to fish for Graying. It was very frustrating at times, a road that was to be close to the creek, did not exist. So, we found another area close by to fish. The water looked great, but the fish , where are they? After trying many runs and pools, Paul spotted a rise , HOLY FISH BATMAN!!!!!!! No sooner did he have his fly in the water, he had a fish on. Well I was so exited , I grabbed my camera and turned to take a picture and lost my balance and thats all you are going to hear......

Anyway back to fishing, we took turns catching and doing the survey. It took us a few fish before we realized how to make it easy on us and the Grayling. Many fish were hooked up but many were long releases. We decided to move on up stream,but did not find any more honey holes.

The next day Doug C. joined us, with great anticipation we are heading out. Dougs truck won't shift gears. OH OOOOOO!!!!!

, back to camp and get my truck . We head to our next stretch to fish, what a beautiful day, what great looking water, where are the fish. Back to the truck and have some lunch, down stream we go, man nice water, and LOOK AT ALL THOSE BIG LOG JAMS, where are the fish. Back to the truck, taking off the gear, what do I see, a rise, I hook up and down to the creek. One cast, two casts and bang, oops fish off and thats all folks.

Later that night , Paul and I had a blast fishing Wolf lake, catching pike and I managed a walleye all on Pauls Flies that he tied. Sunday morning we tried the Pembina at the wolf lake road and had no luck,Doug had a few hits, but thats it. Doug was to head back to Calgary, but left his camper at the lake and we followed him to Edmonton. pics??????

Grayling_survay_weekend__12__resize.JPG

Well I wish Rick & I had a glowing report but we caught nothing saw nothing and not even a rise all day. We saw some very nice water that we figure fish should have been and nothing. We tried getting to one of our locations but there was a big swampy area in the way and it was getting late in the day so we decide to give it another try another day. When we had more time to bush wack or find another way in.

for us Dismal was dismal.

I did manage to fall in not once not twice but yes 3 times and let me tell you it's not water temperture that the problem. As Rick said I screamed like a little 12 yr old girl.

Other than that we made it back safe and sound. Maybe a little tired from the bush wacking.

We had a great day. It was very warm.

Will try again

Dennis S

Well, I have to agree with Jess on all counts. Rat Creek has some excellent looking habitat, but we saw no Grayling. RC00 was inaccessible, so we made a point of hiking downstream from RC01 as far as seemed reasonable. We started fishing when we got to a beaver dam. The dam completely blocks the river, and makes about a 2 foot drop, so I think that's a significant barrier to fish. But we saw fish rising in the beaver pool, so I was optimistic. Turns out they were Black-Nosed Dace, or some other minnow with a prominent black lateral stripe. I caught a real nice one, though. A hefty four and a half incher. There's a healthy poulation of minnows; we had lots of follows from 4 inchers, and saw plenty of little schools of 1-2 inchers. Also, just downstream from a large logjam I found a dead fish laying on the stream bottom. My first guess was a Mountain Whitefish, but maybe it was a sucker, about 5 inches long. With all the healthy minnows swimming around, I didn't concern myself with it too much.

Thats not a good thing, not any fish caught.

Irene, and I will be heading out to Dismal again Sept 2 till the 5th, staying at Wolf Lake camp, Paul will be joining us. If anyone thinks they will get a campsite, don't hold your breath. The main camp is booked up and the over flow maybe by now as well. The last time out we double trailered, when Doug C.came on friday night , different site not sure if this will hold two trailers . We will be in site #6, if anyone comes out for a visit, it might hold a tent. If you do , bring a tarp, I guess the wind comes off the lake and gets pretty cold. Bring float tube , pike and walleye gear, its a big lake , but the area to the outflow is protected somewhat from the south.

Dan

...that's too bad about Rat Creek...from what I hear, it sounds like this little creek could hold a healthy population of grayling...I hope that others fishing this creek have success...although it's disappointing news, it's still great to hear of the trip from Jess and Junior as what they found...thanks for sharing your day...