10 replies to this topic

#1 Jim Fox

Jim Fox

Adams Dun

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 10 February 2019 - 03:09 PM

Tired of winter yet? I sure as heck am. While the sun is shining brilliantly outside, the mercury is hovering below -25C. It is time to start thinking about summer and fishing!

The combined FF@/Northern Lights group has had great luck the past two years located on the Blackstone but I like variety. This year, we are going back to the North Ram River, just a short drive south from Nordegg. We will camp at a place I think is called Nice & Easy, located at 52.269793, -115.812253 according to Google Maps. We camped here when we last stayed on the North Ram in 2015. It is a great site, directly on the river with abundant space for a large group. There was even an outhouse, with a lovely view.  The site is located about 10km east of the Forestry Trunk Road (Hwy 40) on the North Fork Road. When we get closer to the time, I will supply easy to follow directions. The conclave will be held from August 5-11.

The Ram River system holds abundant and sometimes spectacularly large Cutthroat Trout. Hiking is often required to get to the best spots but it is worth it! I want to try some South Ram fishing this year, as well as follow Tyzun one day to see if his stories are true. Other fishing opportunities include the upper North Saskatchewan River, the Blackstone River and Frenchman’s Creek. If you want to access this last bit of water, expect to supply Michael Dell with a really good bottle of scotch.

Let me know if you are interested in coming out, or just show up. This year, I promise the sign will be more visible.

Jim

#2 jplabonte

jplabonte

Bare Hook and Maggot

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 February 2019 - 12:05 PM

h

Hello Jim  i went last year for the first time so  i am interested will see about  the timing closer to the date mentioned  looking forward to it

#3 Michael Dell

Michael Dell

Executive: Events

• Executives
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 17 February 2019 - 07:15 PM

I have put this on my wall calendar.

#4 dipperdan

dipperdan

• Executives
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts

Posted 25 February 2019 - 12:34 PM

Marked on calendar as well....

#5 dkoelofse

dkoelofse

Bare Hook and Maggot

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 March 2019 - 07:26 AM

Count me in. I will try to get there on the Thursday and stay to Sunday.

#6 dipperdan

dipperdan

• Executives
  • 1,404 posts

Posted 10 April 2019 - 09:28 AM

Getting ready for the trip, going to try a new fly. Tyzun may be impressed or not .... lol

#7 dipperdan

dipperdan

• Executives
  • 1,404 posts

Posted 10 April 2019 - 09:30 AM

Old Hippy Stomper and my other Hippy Stomper

Attached Files

#8 vince

vince

Jock Scott

• Members
  • 1,528 posts

Posted 12 April 2019 - 08:52 AM

Dan

Nice tye on the Hippie Stomper. Is the fly a good producer for you? I've heard a lot of good news on the pattern but have not tyed any up yet so I'm looking forward to your thoughts on the pattern.

Vince

#9 italk2u

italk2u

Ice Cream Cone

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 16 May 2019 - 07:26 AM

Not familiar with "Nice & Easy". Is it a private campground, or is it that horseback staging area on the NFR?

I usual boondock further west.

#10 Michael Dell

Michael Dell

• Executives
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 19 May 2019 - 08:01 PM

Nice and Easy is the random camping site on the North Fork Road where it comes to the North Ram River from the east. So called because this is where Nice Creek and Easy Creek which join together upstream flow into the North Ram.  

So probably the horseback staging area as you describe it (though it's more like a quad staging area as I have never seen horses there, cattle, but not horses).  Not to be confused with the outfitters camp west of the Forestry Trunk Road. 

#11 italk2u

italk2u

Ice Cream Cone

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 20 May 2019 - 01:58 PM

Thanks Michael. I am looking forward to it if I can convince Fern to go.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users