Which Bugs Hatch When

fsa313

Posted Image

The Phenological Fly takes the mystery out of meeting and matching the fabled insect super-hatches of the West with a proven and original approach to enhancing angling success. This guide links the appearance of the insect super-hatches (their phenology) to the blooming of native streamside wildflowers, shrubs and trees. Illustrated with detailed, full-color photographs of insects with their corresponding blooms.

• Like 1

I do like The Phenological Fly as a guide, but I think Bob (God rest his soul) could have done better than using the Bastard Adams for all the mayflies.  A parachute pattern might work better on a long, slow glide where the trout get to inspect the fraudulent mayfly.

I've read that there are about 15000 different species of chironomidae but  I've never heard of any comprehensive study of the species prevalent in Alberta. There's some localized studies but I haven't found them useful for angling purposes. Differences are so minute. Colour and size within a specific species can apparently vary based on water depth, lake/stream bed soil composition, phosphorous levels, aquatic vegetation, calendar etc. leading to arguments over what constitutes a sub species and so on.  You could check out https://scholar.google.ca/scholar?hl=en&as_sdt=0%2C5&q=chironomidae+alberta&btnG=   .  Good luck.......please let me know if you find anything useful. 

• Like 1