Gotta Bi"""ch

phly1

I was in attendance at the club meeting this evening and took in the tying demo that was presented. The young man said it was his first and had to do it as a fillin for the original person who was not able to do it. Jim could have just as easily postponed but instead tried to do something himself. I am not new to what he was doing but still the presentation held my interest except for those chosen ones in the back that seemed to think it was okay to hold conversations that were so loud that it disturbed not only the presenter but everyone else present. Maybe those persons would like to come up and volunteer to do a presentation and see what it is like. You are probably a bundle of nerves,you probably put a lot of time into being prepared and now you get the feeling that no one is interested. I have done plenty of these and to this day they still do not come easily. Some good natured heckling done in good taste actually helps but a group of people not even bothering to pay attention is a real distraction. The club seems to have plenty of nights where it is easy to visit for the whole meeting so I hope that in the future we can show some respect on presentation nights and be quiet. It seems if someone is brought in from outside the club we can manage this so why cant it happen when one of our peers steps up. They are there because they feel that they have something to offer so why dont we listen to what they have to say,after all everyone has to start somewhere and who knows one day it may be you up there. I will sign this as I am not ashamed of what I have to say. Thankyou.

Barry Phillips

• Like 5

Touche, Barry your absolutely right. many of us do not realize what kind of preparation it takes to pull off a presentation regardless of the audience. It can be hours if not days of prep time.Your also right about stepping up at short notice as this alone can be alarming because of the lack of preparedness within your own heart knowing that you have to pull something off the top of your head. Good on the person that stepped up, it is a special kind of courage. It can be very unsettling, especially if you are new at doing something like this. I would agree that manners and respect of both the presenter and others around you in the audience that really do want, and have an interest in observing what is going on would truly appreciate the audience to be able to stay focused. It can be disheartening when this type of behaviour is present. Thanks for speaking up, I agree with you one hundred percent.

Advise to Jim as the presenter. The floor is your when you do a presentation. Next time this happens just stop completely dead in the middle of the presentation or better in a sentance. And just kindly look towards the disruption until it stops. It doesn't matter how long this may take. This allows them to have the floor so that they are able to share there conversation with everyone else. And dont look away until they are finished and looking back towards you. Do not engage until there attention is back on the presentation or until someone else has asked them kindly to take it outside. This is a presentation skill don't forget, it allows you to control the floor and is not to be confrontational. It is simply waiting until the floor is given back to you by the people that are taking advantage of the floor.

I also feel that it is the responsibility of all other executive present to curb this kind of behaviour when a presentation is on going. By doing nothing, you actually enable and encourage the poor manners, therefore making you a part of the problem and not the solution. After all you were voted in to lead this group or volunteered to lead a position. So take charge and lead. Just saying....

I too have notice this problem. Barry thank you for bringing it to our attention and this will mostly diffently be a subject that will be address.

Gary thank you for the advise and help for the presenter. Great food for thought.

Tight Lines always.

Dennis S

I was not at the meeting, but, I have presented and it is disrupting and disrespectful when friends go on telling stories and they certainly do.... I have been to meetings and usually someone will speak up to tell the story tellers to shut up .

The thing is the story tellers do not frequent our web site and will not see this. So , I quess the next story telling should be disrupted like the presentation is by one of us trying to watch the presentation. Boys will be boys.

Good on Jim for filling in. He has shown us he can tie very good and difficult flies.

I agree with all of the above,I am wondering if this post in the form of a letter to the members could be handed out at a meeting,putting the problem in the hands of those whom are causing the problemand hoping to bring it to their attention. This way the executive does not have to scold the "story tellers" like a bunch of school children. If the problem continues to persist at this point then the exec can bring it up in a meeting and try to then solve the situation. I feel that if given in a letter all complaints and opinions that are discussed here will be in their hands and they can see them for themselves,maybe they dont really know how disruptive and disrespectful they are being.

I was not at the meeting, but, I have presented and it is disrupting and disrespectful when friends go on telling stories and they certainly do.... I have been to meetings and usually someone will speak up to tell the story tellers to shut up .

The thing is the story tellers do not frequent our web site and will not see this. So , I quess the next story telling should be disrupted like the presentation is by one of us trying to watch the presentation. Boys will be boys.

Good on Jim for filling in. He has shown us he can tie very good and difficult flies.

Another form of communication is to address this on everyones email that is listed by the club. Most people but not all will have email. So thats another medium to send a message. I get them frequently from other website presidents to keep members informed, let alone putting it on Facebook or on their forum.

Umm. I was trying to stay out of this one but looks like I'm going to have to give my two cents.

Stuff happens sometimes so with a couple days notice I put together a couple things that interest me. I was quite nervous as this was my first time up to bat and I felt I had to put on a good showing since I had some incredible tiers go before me but more importantly as a fly tyer I am 100% a product of NLFT. I had never tied a fly before I joined the membership and I was hoping to show a passing grade.

I was expecting some heckling and likely earned some so was rather happy when I got some with Barry White leading that charge...lol...thx Barry...;)

So I managed to stay focused and turned out a couple of good flies despite the shaky hands to start with and the odd equipment troubles and the heckling. In fact I was so focused that I for the most part did not hear the extra chatter going on so was not affected by it. After I do this a few more times I will likely be able to take in more of what's going on around the room and can use a few if the suggestions posted here to help make sure the interested parties get their monies worth..

All in all I think it was an enjoyable evening and I believe my two flies will stand up with those that have gone before.

Thx NLFT and all involved past, present and future.

Thx for the kind words Dan, it really means a lot...;)

We've had this problem from time to time over the years. It's easily enough handled a the start of the meeting with simple request by the person who introduces the speaker/tyer, to ask everyone to show courtesy to the guest and keep it down. If you must carry on a long discussion, we have space downstairs.

...thanks to Jim for filling in on short notice...yes it is nerve-racking being at the head of the class so to speak...and the noisy back ground chatter certainly does not help...people start talking and then without even paying attention it starts to get louder and louder...we used to have what they called a "GUILLY" a person who greeted newcomers at the door and also to keep the peace so to speak...maybe that is an idea that needs to be addressed to the executive committee...

...I have tied at the front several times now and it is still nerve racking...and yes the heckling helps calm down the nerves believe it or not...so please everyone...keep up with the heckling, but tone down the chit-chat out of respect for the presenter...

...my .02 cents worth...

...Paul Fitt...

Agreed to what Barry has mentioned..

It is also a nice jesture to the presenter.

I for sure will not be afrais to tell SHHHH to someone who is chatting during a presentation.. ;)

• 4 weeks later...

...............................and what does the reference to pie mean.

Vince

Vince, I'm thinking you saw the word "pie" and automatically saw visions of anchovies. I don't think Garhan was referring to pizza.

Gary

Yes, I did try the link but again, because I do not do Facebook I am unable to see the comments. I was at the meeting last night and I truly enjoyed the presentation and I just do not get what a tyer presenter and the comments thereof have to do with last nights presentation. Perhaps, for those of us who do not do Facebook, you could give us a Coles Notes version. Thanks

and Terry.....the word "pie"did grab my attention.....I'm now thinking a slice or two with anchovies would be in order

Vince

If it was deleted by the poster, which it was, then the right thing to do would have been to PM the responder (s) so they in turn could have deleted their posts. Not done in this case and I find that to be poor form.

Who ever has the power to remove the posts and follow-up posts should do so and an explanation should be provided as to why.

Vince

The option is alwyas there for a poster to delete their own message. I don't think it's necessary for the moderators to comment. To do so with some accuracy woudl require us to contact the poster, determine a reason and them post the reason. We do that for posts we consider inappropriate, but when some has sober second thoughts, unless the first post offended somebody, then we leave it at that.