Rod Building Time

Don Andersen

Guys/gals,

As in years past I've given you an opportunity to design the bamboo rod to be constructed for the raffle in 2018. The 2017 Rod is completed.

Some things to consider:

Length between 6>8'

Line weight between 2>6

Handle shape

Thread wraps

Hook keeper style

Some of the things that are "locked in" already include. Oven tempering temp & time, glues, varnish, ferrules and bamboo selection.

I'm going to split the bamboo out for the Rod this week.

Regards,

Don

As always Don Thank you on behalf of the club and myself

How about a 3wt either a 7 or 7.6

thread wraps purple

Just me let consensus rule

Don do you still have any of those bags of Macrame for $10. I've had several request for it in the last little while.

Hope to talk again soon.

Tight Lines Always

Dennis S

Don

A 7'9" Original in a 5 weight, a TU taper 7'9" 5 weight or an 8' Jim Payne 102 in a 5 weight would be cool. A cigar shape handle would be nice and the rest of the components would be up to you. As always Don....thank you.

As a proud owner of one of your TU taper 3 weight rods I can tell you that I always look forward to my days on small stream water.....swinging the rod just makes me feel good and I'm here to tell you that the fish like it as well.

Vince

Between here and Facebook there are votes for 2, 3, 5 and 6 wts. With lengths from 6>8'

Handle is a cigar or western which is similar

Wraps are still up for grabs but I don't think purple will be it. Sorry

The weather looks good for the next couple of days so I'm going fishing. Rod work starts when ice shows up.

Don

Don

The rod wraps used on the Jim Payne rods looks kinda cool as do the wraps on the Garrison rods....how about we leave the rod wraps up to you. My vote is still for an 8' Payne 102 in a 5 weight. I guess from where I sit my style would be for a faster action rod....maybe thats why I love my 3 weight TU taper.

Good on you for going fishing....give us a post or two on where you went and how the day was.

Vince

Don

I've done a bit more thinking and I'd like to add the following two tapers into the mix and they are:

1. a Dickerson 8013 (1949) or

2. a Dickerson 8013

As far as I know both are 8 foot, 2 piece, 5 weights but do correct me if I'm wrong.

Vince

• 1 month later...

I chickened out and decided on a 7'9" 5 wt. for the 2018 donation rod. The Rod blank is done, ferrules got installed today, reel seat machined and reel seat wood insert selected.

I used durobronze for both ferrules and the reel seat cap, ring and trim ring.

Here is a picture of the components chosen

.post-190-0-23554900-1482191977_thumb.jpeg

Now the guides and thread colour needs chosen. I'm thinking gold coloured guides and a dark red thread.

Don

• Like 1