Dismal Creek Fish Trap

Paulf

Well I must admit that this was a very interesting and fun day. I went in not knowing what to expect and was amazed by the amount of work and planning it took to build a fish trap. Seeing how it was put together in the free flowing creek certainly had its challenges and to be thrown a couple of curve balls with ice chunks floating towards you added to the excitement.

I will try to add some pictures, new program, so bear with me, hope it works.

post-72-0-24218500-1367200770_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

While taking a picture of the fish trap portal, there was a huge chunk of ice floating towards the trap, we had our fingers and toes crossed hoping that it would withstand the collision...the pictures tell the rest of the story.

There is still a lot of work to be done yet with the steel tubes to be inserted and the mesh placed in front before the trap is fully functional

post-72-0-45778600-1367201232_thumb.jpg

post-72-0-31100200-1367201240_thumb.jpg

post-72-0-37231300-1367201249_thumb.jpg

post-72-0-86082200-1367201256_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Great Pictures and Video guys, It is a lot of work , and still a lot left to do. Here's hoping the ice bergs don't do much damage the next few days.The water was up a fair amount from Saturday to Sunday, by the pictures, Thanks Ken.

Looking forward to getting out again this next weekend.

Great job guys I wish I could have been there, I really wanted to see the process.

This is really a bad time of the year for me.

Great pictures Paul . Keep us posted on whats happening & when each outing is.

tight lines always

Dennis S

Here's a time lapse video of the assembly of the fish trap on April 27

Ken...the water clarity was a lot clearer on Saturday than it was on Sunday and the water level rose quite a bit over night. Watching the time frame and looking at the tree line, it sure makes it look like it is very, very windy out. Thanks for posting the video, a lot more interesting than just looking at a still shot. It would be interesting if there were pictures taken each day, just to see the changes in the water level and clarity. Again, thanks for the video and the pictures.

Jim was out there today. The water is down a bit and very clear. Air temp near zero, water temp 0.5. There is not much ice in the water and no damage overnight. He thinks we are right on time and expects fish in the next few days. There is a bigger crew going out Wednesday and that's when the conduit will go up and the trap will get running.

Jim was out there today. The water is down a bit and very clear. Air temp near zero, water temp 0.5. There is not much ice in the water and no damage overnight. He thinks we are right on time and expects fish in the next few days. There is a bigger crew going out Wednesday and that's when the conduit will go up and the trap will get running.

...beauty...can't wait to see and hear about the results...

Vince , I hear that Grayling take dries , when are you joining us??? :clapping: If the dries aren't working then we could most definetly share some under water tactics with flys , but only if you share some of your Southern C , Hey we could even try maken an anchovie pizza.... :coffeetime: