Artic Grayling Clave #1

dipperdan

Hello all that are participating in this years Grayling Survey.

Whom of you would like to do a Grayling Clave ( group of flyfishers with like minds,fishing,conservation and a beer or two with some tales also......We can set up a potluck, and (maybe a swap if time allows , maybe clave #2) The streams open June 16th.

I was thinking if the good lord allows the next weekend June 23rd ,24th . We have camped out at Wolf Lake last year, you can prebook which is nice. There are two camp areas, #1 is used the most and the #2 is the overflow and has not been used much and is fairly isolated ( some people like that) cost was $22.00 a night. with wood and washrooms. Site #1 is right on the lake and our site was on the north shore and easy access to the lake if you want to try your luck for Walleye and Pike on the fly.

I will take the 22nd off and be the Clave Mister, Sorry for the short notice, some people may just come out for the day, and come and shoot the poop if they have time also.

Any other ideas are welcome

Please send a reply soon, so we can set something up.

Thanks Dan

• Like 1

...hopefully we can get together as a group and meet with Jim of Golder Associates to determine the site assignments before the 22nd of June...but if we can't, I suppose we could fish the areas that we were assigned last year or at the very least, explore new areas and still take samples, if fish are caught...pictures and GPS co-ordinates can still be documented on any piece of paper and transferred to the proper document at a later date ...

...looking forward to another graying survey...

I've watched the river flows and even with the rain we have had, the levels are staying constant. Looken good!!!!!!!!

I posted in the wrong topic, could this be moved to the Grayling topic...Thanks

Dan

• Like 1

Guys I'm pretty sure we will have a meeting and be set to go before the June 15 opening. Ken is working that out.

Dan things have been pretty dry so I'm sure some of these streams & rivers can take a couple of days of rain before they get to blown out.

Tight lines Always

Dennis S :fishing::fish_jump:

I have tentatively booked 2 Sites at Wolf Lake , site 9 and 11. Quentin will be booking site 10. Sites 9 and 11 are on the lake, 10 is inside the ring. Sites 9 and 11 can accomidate 2 units and we would have to pay per unit, so we can piggy back if we have to. If you would like to book your own site , call Tom at 780-723-0738. Irene and I will be leaving early friday morning and set up.

We drive west on 627 to 759 then left ( south )Stop at Tomahawk for an Ice cream if its open. Continue south to 624 then right (west) to hwy 22 turn left south . South on 22 to 621 then right (west). on 621 to Cynthia , stop an fill up with gas !!!! Go south on 753,( 7 KMS) then turn right (west) gravel road ( Brazeau River Gas Plant Road ) this takes you (@ 36 Kms ) to the Wolf lake road T intersection turn right ( north) 14 kms, to overflow turn off on right slight bend to left. 2 kms farther north to main camp. If you go left ( south ) you will cross the Pembina River. Yes, this is the Scenic Route ............

Or hwy 16 west to Wolf lake Rd ( RR150 ) and south to the lake turn off , approximately 45 to 50 kms , for the fishers that live in the northern part of the city or don't like to dipsy doodle.....lets keep in touch so we know who is coming and we can look out for you. Thanks Dan

Yes there is , you can pull the boat up right at the camp site at night, when your not using it during the day its safe there. Irene will be on guard when she's not napping...........

Dan

• 2 weeks later...

We made it out this weekend,and we did catch some Grayling. Friday afternoon , John ,Paul and myself fished some new water , there were some BWO hatching but nothing feeding the surface.I had a Bibio on and it submerged,up from the depths comes this flash and fish on , this was a great start, just get on the water first pool, and wow. That was the only fish in that pool caught,did not scare any more up there and my only fish this day . Paul and John switched to nymphs , we started fishing the deeper runs and pools . Paul managed to land 4 and John land 1. the water was clear and up a bit,, compared to last September

Day 2,

Micheal and Jim headed out to there section, fish were caught there aswell.They fished an area just up stream from the wolf lake road. A bit of a hike in as I understand,with some bushwacking.

John and Quinten also fished a section we covered last year at the Dismal Creek Spa and Resort. Quinten is no longer a virgin, ( first grayling) ....you guys.......The water was coloured and up compared to fridays fishing but it clean up some at the end of there day maybe 2ft vis. This section was upstream from the section fished friday

. Paul and I went to our section upstream and we found coloured water 1 ft above normal,fast and coloured 6 inches vis, so not very fishable, we tried a few spots. Getting to the river was a bit of a chore ,down a steep bank to a trib of Dismal , then up the other side. follow a right of way and then down again following animal trails. We finally found Dismal .

A suggestion , take some marking tape with you, and mark on your GPS ,the tracking as well .All those trees look the same.

We had a potluck Saturday night and the food was great, Quinten had his family with him and they braved a wet friday night in there tents, but the rest of the weekend was fairly dry.

We are planning another trip out Aug 17-19 if all goes well.

Picture is day 1

Dismal June 2012 (6).JPG

Nicely done guys! I went way upstream (past Pembina Forks) and tried out Hanson Creek on Saturday. I had a new fisherman with me and we couldn't scare up any fish using a variety of dries and nymphs. The habitat looked good, but it rained for the first 2-3 hours and visibility was not good.