2018 Conclave - This Blackstone Thing Is Becoming A Habit

Jim Fox

It seems like everyone loved last summer's Blackstone gathering so much, they want to try again. Once again, the FF@/Former FF@/NLFT/Whomever shows up will gather on the Blackstone River the week after the August long weekend - August 7-12.

The Blackstone is a beautiful central Alberta stream with cutthroat, rainbow, brookies and bulls. Last year we caught a surprising number of bulls, possibly because of a hot summer and low water - they start heading upstream towards spawning grounds months before the event. In addition, there are lots of other waters that can be accessed a short drive up or down the road. Overall, this was an excellent location for fishing last year and I expect this year to be great as well.
As a theme, a picture Alberta Al posted on facebook a few weeks back makes me think about hats. Bring your best fishing hat - be it weird, wild or just plain lucky. If it is a beret, you and Al will match!
Last year, we had a very large group come out and everyone enjoyed themselves thoroughly. I hope that some of you come back and others, who haven't traveled to an Alberta gathering may make this your year.
Let me know if you are interested or need any more information. An make your travel plans soon!
Jim

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'll ship my kids to BC and I'll head out presuming I can follow someone out in my truck ... I'm totally in.

• 1 month later...

I'm still planning on coming out, bringing a friend and ditching the family altogether LOL. So how does this work??? .. I've been invited many times.. and never took up on it due to other outings to other provinces..

Is it an instance, where I come but, I look after myself and only myself or is it a community effort we all chip and we all work to make it great. I'm asking in advance so I can get planning and so I can separate my camp gear before my (DAD) family takes what (he) they need for three weeks in the back woods of BC!

Please can someone give me details and some insight,

thanks in advance.

Kristi Kinoshita

Kristi,

Mostly we are all on our own as far as food and accommodation, except for the potluck which happens on Friday or Saturday? We have one campfire which we gather around in the morning and evening. Everyone brings their own chair and beverages. Coffee is available from several sources in the morning, and some bottles are shared in the evening.

Tarps are put up as needed and we usually put the tables together under one tarp. Everyone wakes up at different times so breakfast is whenever you get up. Lunch is whatever you pack for the stream. Supper is whatever you chose to bring and whenever you get back from fishing.

We break up into groups and go fishing in different directions.

Jim, do you have any advice for Kristi?

Well we are about a month away from our 2018 edition of the Alberta Conclave from August 7 to August 12. As a reminder, we are meeting in the same location as last year on the Blackstone River, just north of Nordegg Alberta.
To drive, go about 1 km west of the access road to Nordegg to get to The Forestry Trunk Road (Hwy 40/734). Go north to Chungo Road - a major road peeling off to the left. Drive up Chungo Road until you cross the Blackstone (it will be the first decent-sized river you cross) and up the hill. We should be camped on the left side of the road but this random camping can't be reserved. Therefore, if you do not see a sign that says FF@/NLFF Alberta Conclave, look on the other side of the road.
Google Maps says it is here: 52.615902, -116.327583
I have not really thought about a potluck yet but I'll mull it over and propose something in the next week or so. Maybe pizza again...
Hope to see you all there!
Jim

Pizza sounds good.

I have another way to get there that is a little less rough.

Here are the coordinates 52 36'58 N and 116 19'41 W. Jim, it looks like our coordinates are different. I have to investigate this further.

Best way to get there is as follows: Head north on Forestry Trunk Road from Highway 11 west of Nordegg. Drive about 20 +/- 5 minutes until you get to the Donson Creek Road heading west. Take this road until it ends in a T intersection. Turn right and drive about 5-10 minutes. You will go over a small bridge over Lookout Creek (signed), and just a short time later you will go over a large bridge over the Blackstone (unsigned). Head to the top of the hill. On both sides of the road there is a large field with random campers. We will be somewhere in there depending on what is available when we set up. Our preferred spot is to the left close to the trees.

Thanks for organizing Jim. I'm planning to come too. I might might go to the Pembina Forks area a couple of days earlier.

It will be the first time there and being a rooky in fly fishing I've a lot of questions. Mostly what flies to bring.

Any advice out there?

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Kos, bring whatever flies you have and people will help you out I am sure.

Seriously, what I focus on (that you can get in a fly store) includes mostly attractor patterns like stimulators, foam hoppers, and other large floatable dry flies. Not too large, though the biggest fish I saw caught last year was on a monster foam hopper on a #6 4xl hook. We don't chase hatches so some standard caddis and mayfly patterns will also work. Snowshoe hare Usuals, purple parachute mayflies (#12) and cdc & elk are some of my go-to patterns when things are difficult. You may want to bring a few streamers to go after bull trout but they came well to dry flies last year.

Bring your tying stuff too, if you can. There will be some master tyers there, ready to give you tips.

Jim

Flyfishing Conclave 2018 - Update and Potluck
Just about a week away from our meeting on the Blackstone River. I hope everyone is still able to show up. I haven't heard any reports from the area but the weather has been fair throughout Alberta and we are not seeing the fires or other inclement events we have in previous years. Flows in nearby rivers seem normal or a bit high for this time of year. Higher-than-normal water may mean colder water and maybe even better fishing than last year. Should be a great time.
Last year we made pizza for a social meal on night and I was thinking about that again this year. However, I am back in a tent this year with no way to keep dough frozen so I think we should go with a potluck. Saturday night, bring a dish that you love and want to share with others. Don't bring too much - most times we end up with way way too much food. Pot-luck drinks also welcome!
Let me know if you have any other questions before next Monday. See you there!
Jim

• 2 weeks later...