laura lake aerition

fishman

Do u guys remember this lake by any chance...quite a few years ago they use to stock it with brookies but it would winter kill every 3 or 4 years, so instead they tried putting in grayling which didn't take so it hasn't had fish for quite a few years. There is power running to a wellhead which is 100 yards away and the conservation officer said it would take 100 grand to get it installed, i have a hard time to believe this , but maybe u fine gents would know.I use to fish this lake and it was such a beautifull lake,,,,,a island, trappers cabin and it has the big yellow lilly flower pads. Now if u r not aware of this lake it is between emerald lake and little macloed .....a walk in lake takes u 5 minutes and it is so pretty. They have 50 grant in there coppers and they will blow it somewhere else. hopefully we can get some ideas on the go for this project........I NEED YOUR INPUT PLEASE,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Maybe there is a way we can get this to go.They have 50 grant in there coppers and they will blow it somewhere else.I am very partial to these 2 lakes and i have fished alot of lakes and i love them. hopefully we can get some ides on go for this project........I NEED YOUR INPUT PLEASE,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Thanks Garry

Not really sure if I understand a lot of this thread. "They have 50 grant in there coppers" What does that mean and who are "They"?

Still not sure where this lake is, it doesn't sound to close to Edmonton, is up near Fox Creek?

Are you asking if this is a project F.E.S.A would be interested in or just for some ideas and input for another organization to champion an aeration and stocking project for this lake?

Cheers :cheers:

Fishman,

I think you will need 1 aerator for every 50 acres of water (depending on water depth and the shape of the lake). Muir is just under 80 acres and it has 2 aerators because of the narrows that break the lake up. Each aerator is around $3600 - depending on how much cable you need. Again at Muir one aerator had 400' of cable from the controller while the other had 300' and they came in with significantly different prices.

Then you have to look at a transformer from the power source. We paid $5000 for our transformer and had to add in a pole as well.

The main disconnect and meter station cost around $600.

So the totals are

3600 per aerator

5000 transformer and pole

600 for a disconnect and meter

I would guess about $9200 for a basic 1-aerator system.

We paid $17000 at Muir because we used 2 aerators, 2 disconnects, and 500m of buried cable between the two. Spring Lake pulled off 2 aerators for less than $14,000.

Feel free to email me (timdos@telusplanet.net) if you need more info. I am on the FESA board and we have some experience in the aeration and government grants business.

I would strongly suggest that you implement a 'delayed harvest model' because when word gets around about aeration anglers start flocking to the lake. If the lake does not have any game fish in it (like you have described) the local biologist will be able to help you set up regulations similar to Muir, Beaver or Bullshead. Again I can fill in on the details of the model.

Cheers,

Tim

Thanks for the reply guys...laura lake is behind carson lake. and the first link shows the lake(from the above post).... I wasn't aware that they were even considering doing anything at Laura lake. There is a email address in that article and in all fairness i will write to him and see what plans they have.

• 1 year later...

Sorry to bring up this old post, but I was wondering if anyone knows if this project got off the ground or not? This Laura Lake is right by Emerald Lake

Another secret lake Dragon Troller? Oh goody! ;):)

As per the link Pacres mentioned earlier:

http://www.ab-conservation.com/projects/pr....asp?project=72

Current Status of the Project:

A project description fact sheet has been created for Laura Lake, which will provide possible funding partners with the necessary information that they require. External funding partners will be contacted in June to determine their interest in assisting with the aeration projects.

For more Information Contact:

Sheldon Kowalchuk

District Programs Coordinator

Northern East Slopes - Edson

Phone Number: (780) 723-8524

You might also email someone here aboot it:

http://www.ab-conservation.com/contact/contact.asp

Edited by RangerBob

Sorry to bring up this old post, but I was wondering if anyone knows if this project got off the ground or not? This Laura Lake is right by Emerald Lake

Another secret lake Dragon Troller? Oh goody! ;):)

As per the link Pacres mentioned earlier:

http://www.ab-conservation.com/projects/pr....asp?project=72

Current Status of the Project:

A project description fact sheet has been created for Laura Lake, which will provide possible funding partners with the necessary information that they require. External funding partners will be contacted in June to determine their interest in assisting with the aeration projects.

For more Information Contact:

Sheldon Kowalchuk

District Programs Coordinator

Northern East Slopes - Edson

Phone Number: (780) 723-8524

You might also email someone here aboot it:

http://www.ab-conservation.com/contact/contact.asp

Well no secret obviously,

I read the info from Pacres and was intrigued as that was a few years ago,

Then I read this which I think is incorrect but you never know.

http://www.whitecourtweb.com/sports/fishing.htm

:D

Last thing i heard on it was there wasn't enough money in the fund to do it....the power was the issue..........ther should still be power to the well head, which is about a 100 yards from the lake.........i have no idea why it takes so long just another government screw up.......just like every other lake issue they deal with......but what do i know

There are always a number of factors regarding aeration - not only running a cable from a wellhead - but liability, ownership, cost management, impact to a winter fishery (can't ice fish aerated waters) maintenance etc.

It's easy to do armchair wildlife management. Best to call the local Fish and Wildlife for the details, and then make some observations, rather than assigning blame to a government that may or may not have anything to do with the issue.

Sorry to seem like i am just blaming them with out any knowledge on what they r doing , but i have been trying to get them to do this project years ago and i am very aware of what they reactions on this project has been and i know that there r good wildlife officers and biologists out there.......on this project i really think that we have on indivual that is hammering it all.........just one mans opinion.........could be wrong

Some info I received from the govenment apparently

"We had hoped to initiate this project, however, were unable to do so. The

primary reason was that the costs to bring power to the site where

uneconomical. It is still on the books as a potential lake enhancement site

in the event that project start up costs become more economical."