Trout Unlimited Canada - Northern Lights Fly Fishers
Sign in to follow this  
fishlover

Ram Or Blackstone

I'm planning a last minute trip to one of these rivers and wonder which would be the better pick for tomorrow.

I've been to the North Ram a few times and is one of my favorites but I hear it's been very busy this year and it about 45 minutes further away than the Blackstone.

I've never been to the Blackstone so I there would be a learning curve for access etc.

I would like to catch something bigger that 16 inches this year so I'm leaning towards going to the North Ram.

Thanks for any insight

The Blackstone is a beautiful place to fish, and certainly less crowded at times, but the average size is smaller than on the North Ram. If you are after some bigger fish I would do the North Ram. Even when crowded you can find some fish that have not been hounded - just need to do some hiking or work areas that don't see as many anglers.

Thanks Troutfodder. I'm going to the North Ram because I know it and I feel confident that will be able to catch a good fish. Also I can hit Prairie Creek for an hour on the way back home. I'll save the Blackstone for a day when I feel more inclined to explore new water.

My brother and I went to the Blackstone on Saturday. The river was slightly off-color (maybe 2' - 3' of visibility). No rises seen all day. Only a couple of (very) small cutts on the dry. Everything else was caught with nymphs/streamers. Spoke to a couple of guys camped near the bridge and they went to Brown creek for the day. Sounds like they had similar conditions/success.