Summer 2016 Ff@ Trip

Jim Fox

NLFFers, this year, the FF@ Alberta members and some of the usual crowd will be hitting the Wildhay River, just a bit north of Hinton. Some of you have joined in on these trips in the past and seemed to have fun. We are all a bit older but the great times still continue. This year, I am going to try to produce a fantastic pizza in a wood-fired oven in the middle of the woods. Should be worth a laugh at least!

Send me a note at abklaver@gmail.com if you are interested in participating and I'll add you to the list.

Jim Fox

Jim Fox <abklaver@gmail.com>
9:10 PM (17 minutes ago)
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
to Fly
Posted Image
This year, the normal Alberta Conclave group will be meeting up from August 3-7 on the Wildhay River, just north of Hinton, AB. The Wildhay may not be the most famous river but it will provide a great opportunity to catch wild Athabasca rainbows (Alberta's only native rainbow) as well as arctic grayling in abundance. Also close by are the Athabasca River itself (big water to explore), the Berland (great day float trip), Obed Lake (monster browns) and many other streams we refer to as "Frenchman's Creek".
On top of the fishing, this year I am going to try to produce gourmet wood oven pizza in the wilds. I will keep the details to myself but if you come, bring your best pizza topping and we will see if we can start a new conclaving tradition.
Along with fishing and pizza, I can guarantee a few prime refreshments (and maybe a few not so prime ones), great company and a really memorable experience. To get an idea of what the area is like, check out this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=My2SpOJwqIs
Hope to see some of you there.

• 2 weeks later...

Mike, i sent you an email directly.

Our normal mode is to camp as close to the river as possible. We will mostly be in tents, though one or two bring RVs. There are some expert tarp-ers who normally set up some sort of protected area for us to gather in - we have survived days of rain and massive hail storms in the past. If you are thinking about bringing a large RV, let me know. The site scouting party might need to adjust their criteria a bit.

A great caesar salad would be fantastic! Also, any coffee or liquor or combination of these two is greatly appreciated. You will be treated to offers of great whisky, cold beer, and often full meals just for showing up. This is a great group.

Jim

Hello , Jim , looking forward to get out fishing with you again. Am planning on making this trip , Irene and I haven't been out in that area for a lot of years, early 80's , wow 30+ years...... I will bring the items you ordered....

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It's been almost 5 years since I have been around the club. I'm looking forward to attending. But not sure when I will arrive at the campsite. The Wild Hay is one of my favorite rivers and I'm looking forward to meeting all of you again.

D.

Dennis & dcomo, we are happy to have you. It should be great. I will send out an update in the next week or so, hopefully with a recon report and some more info on specific location.

Dan, I don't think a 23 foot trailer will be an issue but I will check in with the recon crew to be sure.

Jim

The Wild Hay is just as good as the heavily fished rivers around Calgary. I got rained out but I did manage some Rockies and lots of small Graylings. Not too far from the Berland junction.

D.

Well, we now have specific dates and a location. We will be on the Wildhay River in central Alberta, starting from August 2-7. The campsite is located nearby the bridge on Willow Creek Road, crossing the Wildhay (put 53.947380, -117.312020 into Google Maps and you can see the location). If you get close, you will find a visible sign to get you to the campsite.

It looks like there will be floating opportunities so bring your pontoon. If you don't have one, let the list know and maybe an extra can be found. There is nothing better than floating one of these remote rivers - few people, wild fish and spectacular scenery.
One night, of the conclave (maybe more), I am going to try to make pizza in a charcoal/wood fired contraption I acquired recently. I will bring some makings and you can feel free to bring some of your own favorites. I'll also be bringing a can of beans just in case the pizza oven doesn't work out.
Let me know if you need any more info before we head out. Also, if you email me directly I can send my personal contact info if you need it. I will post one more update, likely the weekend before the conclave.
Jim

Dan, this is what Wally says:

"Hi, it's an old forestry site that hasn't been maintained in a long while. Some trailers have the plumbing hanging down low some have it up higher????? I'd be questioning the 75km of gravel road going into the spot. Long slow trip for me in the camper. The road can have a lot of washboard if the graders haven't been busy."

I drove the Willow Creek road in June to past that spot. Agree that the road can have a lot of washboards if the graders haven't been busy.

but road was in great shape when I drove it, but it can be very dusty (and slow)

Just making sure of the right location , Up the willow creek road that leaves Hintons NE corner of town. Then aproximately 75 km to the river. Will there be some signage?

Irene and I are going out earlier to Petite lake Sunday, May check out Kinky/Wildhorse on the way....

So this will be my final email before the event. We will be on the Wildhay River in central Alberta, starting tomorrow August 2 through August 7. The campsite is located nearby the bridge on Willow Creek Road, crossing the Wildhay (put 53.947380, -117.312020 into Google Maps and you can see the location). If you get close, you will find a visible sign to get you to the campsite.

This event will feature floating so bring a pontoon if you have one. It will feature some interesting meals, including (I hope) excellent pizza cooked in the wild. Bring your favourite topping - I will provide crust. As always, it will feature a bit of drinking so bring your tylenol. Most of all, it will feature spectacular fishing, scenery and camaraderie. Bring your fishing gear and a good attitude.

I'm driving tomorrow but I might be reachable during the day on my cell - 403-471-3108.

Jim

PS - you have the directions right Dan. Hope this reaches you.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Jim, for organizing the clave again. Irene and I had a great time, as always. The pizza night was amazing. Thanks to Wally for showing us all the hot spots, I'll never tell . All the stories and comrodory, new places to fish.........wink wink.......Oh and Dennis , that water was deep and to fast for me to cross, not sure how you did it.......Last but not least the bevies and fire after!!!!!! Looking forward to the next one!!!!

Well another AB Clave has come and gone. Jim thank you as usual for a great time and great place. We had a great group of people Dipper Dan and his wife Irene, Wally Lutz, Jim Fox, Mike Dell, Doug Coumo, and My wife Brenda and myself. We also had our faithfull camp companions Thor & Sheba.

The Wild Hay is sure a pretty river. It gave up it's fish grudgingly the whole time we were there. Lots of little guys caught but few big ones. Wally managed a 15 in. Grayling called Gary. Dan and I took a side trip and Fished the Oldman Creek. We tried to get to the First bridge but the road was in really bad shape. Wally said that the river at that point was a free stone stream. We had to back track to the 2nd bridge where the river was a slow meandering stream. We both caught lots of small grayling and rolled several very nice one's but could not keep them on the hook.

We took a day and the bunch of us drive up stream on the Wildhay It turned out to be and interesting adventure. I can now honestly say I have had a bear encounter. The 5 of us were talking and getting ready to move on when I turned around and notice a Grizzly walking toward us. I turned and said guy's we have a bear coming up on us. Everyone that had bear spray garbed for it. I turned back and yelled at it and he stopped and turned off and sauntered off toward where the car was parked. We decide to give him a bit of time and then as a group walked back to the vehicle.

Not sure how far away from us he got but roughly 75 yards and if I hadn't notice him likely he would have walked right up on us. No pictures were taken every one was more interested in going for their bear spray then camera's. Wally's camera was between us and the bear.

We all handle the situation admirally with limited amount of s--t in ones pants.

I have to thank Jim very much for a great pizza night it turned out fantastic. I'm sure it will be done again.

We did have lots of rain but it didn't effect the river much. Wally felt the river was a bit high but it was clear most times. The Wildhay at this point is very big and fast making it very difficult to wade. Because we couldn't wade it, a lot good spots were very hard to get to.

Mike left Fri and Doug showed up Fri.

We decide to give the Berland a shot on Sat. I am sure glad we did. We all had a great time and caught lots of Grayling and Athabascans. I caught several Grayling in the 14 to 15in. range and lost several as big or bigger. Most of mine were caught on a Tan Chernobyl ant. or a SA Hopper. Dan Caught a bunch of his Athabascans on a purple mico leech. Jim hammered them on a CFF. Wally introduced me to a new pattern the Gimp. I will post a picture and how to in patterns shortly. Wally did well with that pattern.

Sat night Brenda and I host a thank you supper for every one for a great week. Everyone contributed a bit of something Dan and Irene supplied all the sweets. I did the cooking and Brenda did the preparing of the Hobo potato's (which were a great success) and the Greek Salad. We did have to dodge some pretty bad down pours but the rain did stop at the right time to eat. That night we had some heavy rain and the river was very high and muddy Sunday morning when we packed up to leave.

We had many good nights around the fire with lots of stories and lots of great comradery. and yes lots of Scotch was drank. Not sure but what was in the Scotch but several people work up in the morning with bumps and bruises and the odd head ache. Good Scotch.

So again thank you Jim for organizing a great outing and thank every who showed up to make it a great Clave

Can't wait for next year.

Tight Lines Always

Dennis S

• Like 1