Barry Mitchell

kemo99

Hi folks

In case you have not heard about Barry Mitchell.

Alberta lost a true champion for our fisheries over the weekend with the passing of Barry Mitchell. His efforts to protect, enhance and restore central Alberta streams (along with Don Anderson and others) were leading examples of what could and should be done. Through the Alberta Fishing Guide magazine he helped us realize how much we have been blessed, particularly with our flowing waters. Every year I could not wait for the Guide as that was the "official" start of that year's fishing - planning my/our adventures. (This continues today with Dave J's hands at the reins.)

I consider myself fortunate for having the opportunity to work with Barry on trout issues over the years. His passion and knowledge of our waters was incomparable. You couldn't "baffle him with bull poo-poo" when it came time to speak up for our fisheries.

My condolences to his family and to all who knew this fine man.

The family is hosting an informal, come-and-go funeral reception for him on Friday, March 6 from 2 to 5 pm at Eventide Funeral Chapel in Red Deer (4820 45 St.). There is no official service happening.

I will be attending.

Don Pike, Director of Special Events, Trout Unlimited Canada

For those who may want more information related to Barry's passing and funeral:

MITCHELL Barry James Mar. 16, 1947 - Feb. 28, 2015

Barry Mitchell passed away from mesothelioma at the Red Deer Hospice on Saturday, February 28, 2015 at the age of 67 years. Even though his passing was expected, it came very suddenly and too soon, and we are devastated by his loss. A native Albertan, Barry was a conservationist, fly fisherman, and hunter of the highest order. He devoted both his personal and professional life to the conservation of Alberta's natural resources. In 1971, he founded the Alberta Fishing Guide magazine with his father George Mitchell. Barry and his wife Ann took sole ownership of the magazine in 1980 and together they published this respected and popular fishing publication for more than 40 years, until selling it in 2013 upon discovering he was ill. Barry was recognized many times for his conservation efforts, most notably in 1998 when he was awarded the Order of the Bighorn, one of Alberta's highest conservation honours. However, as accomplished and recognized as Barry was in Alberta's environmental circles, he saved the best parts of himself for his family. He was a wonderful husband, father, father-in-law, and grandpa and in our eyes, there was no one better. We all share wonderful memories of being with our husband, Dad, and Pa in the outdoors. We will carry that legacy forward and he will continue to be with us as we hike over hills, cast into corner pools, sit on stand, and just enjoy the sun setting on another wonderful day spent outside. Left to mourn Barry's loss is his best friend and wife of 45 years, Ann; his son Matthew; his daughter Jennifer Stange; his son-in-law Grant Stange; and his treasured granddaughters, Claire and Eve. Barry is also survived by his siblings Brian, Wayne, Brenda, and Diana, and their families. Barry was predeceased in 2000 by his parents George and Joan Mitchell. An informal come-and-go funeral reception is planned for Friday, March 6, 2015 between 2 p.m. and 5 p.m. at Eventide Funeral Chapel, 4820-45 Street, Red Deer. Casual attire. We welcome all who knew him--please come share your stories with us and with each other. If desired, donations in his honour may be made to the Nature Conservancy of Canada, Red Deer Food Bank, or Red Deer Hospice. Our family would like to thank Dr. Kamal Daniel, Jackie Van Langen and her staff from Retire at Home Health Care, the nurses and staff of Red Deer Hospice and Symphony Inglewood, and the various health care staff he encountered along the way. We are grateful for each and every one of you. Condolences may be forwarded to the family by visiting www.eventidefuneralchapels.com.