Bragging Right's At Muir Lake .

flyrod

Hey Check this out ! I went fishing with " Neil " at Muir last friday ,

I didn't have time to put my fly in the water as I was to busy netting

Fish for "Neil " let's just say that the picture's speak for them self .

We were fishing in my "Pram " Weigh Capacity ! Weigh Capacity !

We were at our

Mac's.

FlyRod.

post-307-0-80213000-1399784149_thumb.jpg

post-307-0-18102200-1399784203_thumb.jpg

post-307-0-51903300-1399784238_thumb.jpg

My best catch ever informs me that it did and by the way if your "old school" label was insinuating that we old school individuals do not know how to handle a trout and release it with minimum damage, I assure you, sir, that is not the case! On the same morning we released four others with next to no contact.

Neil

RIGHT ON NEIL ! HEY " DIPPERDAN WHAT'S UP ? GOING TO MUIR TODAY ?

FlyRod.

My best catch ever informs me that it did and by the way if your "old school" label was insinuating that we old school individuals do not know how to handle a trout and release it with minimum damage, I assure you, sir, that is not the case! On the same morning we released four others with next to no contact.

Neil

Neil...back in the day, this is how most people held the fish because they usually kept it to feed their family...Dan's remark in no way insinuated that you do not know how to handle fish safely and carefully, it was an observation...there are a lot of people out there that just grab the fish through the gills and do damage beyond repair and then decide that they do not want to keep it, then release it and wonder why it floats belly up...

Rod, why the screaming and hollering, are we not friendly fishers on this site?

Truthfully, when I first viewed the pictures, I thought the same thing as Dan, I guess being involved in fish studies and the careful handling of fish while taking samples of scales and fins, then releasing the fish to swim on their way, we see things in different perspectives.

Nice fish by the way...great to see happy faces.

Paul Fitt

For goodness sake, guys, this was one fish headed for the dinner table, the others were held in the net in the water and taken off the hook in the water. Once the leader came apart in the net and the little pig-tail revealed that my knot tying with cold hands has not improved. I want to be a friendly fisher and an asset to the group. Over and out.

Neil

Paul I think that a font or size does'nt mean I'am hollering . As Neil said , for goodness sake .

We both agree on catch & release and how fish are handled period .

As for Dan , if you have followed me at " At The Bench " I personally Challenge "Dipper Dan "

to a day of fishing when Muir opened ? Thats what I was asking Dan ? As for Neil I posted

" Bragging Right's " for a gentleman that I took Fishing .

I wellcome all newcomer's ,

to the forum and to the art .

FlyRod.

Holy Cow. Neil , I was making an observation on the pictures. I really don't know anyone that keeps fish from Muir . I was not trying to insult you or Rod. I know Rod and I know, he practises the proper release of fish . When my 90 year old uncle caught his first trout with me a couple of years ago , he being old school handled the fish as your picture showed . Seeing a fish handled in this method does bring up that notion of old school , even watching some fishing programs , when they handle fish that way and toss them into the water , I turn off the show.

Sorry if I hurt your feelings. Maybe when we keep fish , we should note it was of keeper size and that we had a feed of fresh Muir lake hogs.

Dan

NICE FISH DIPPERDAN , I never had that chance at life ." So spoil the rod take a kid fishing " my first

experience with a " fly rod " was , my older brother left his fly rod in my van . When we were travling

to " Yellow Stone National Park ". I seen these's very large stone fly's hitting the window of the van

I stopped the van to check what was going on , to my surprize it was a very large " hatch " of stone fly's.

As I was in the middle of this I watch in awe as one flew on to the river and "Bang a cutthroat nailed it .

I took the Fly rod out of the back of the van , I remember it was a old fiberglass 4 peice with a fly

attach to the leader . So I got out on to the water with no waiter's trying to cast . A old guy that was being

" video " on the river saw me trying to cast and ask me to come over to him . Wet and a bit cold ,

He grab my leader . He cut it off and tyed on one his fly's as he past the fly rod back , there he replyed maybe you

will hook something. By the way my name is " lee Wulff " as I shook his hand . I see you never done

this before as he gestured to try up stream . Well I hook a 4 lb. cutthroat after my second cast ! I never

new the old guy till later that I was hooked and he still leads me back to the river .

FlyRod.

• Like 1

That's awesome Rod , you have never told us that part of your introduction to fly fishing . It must have been a Surreal moment when you found out who Lee was. That was great to hear . Thanks for sharing :clapping:. I love these types of stories, the younger folks will not appreciate what our piers had to do to get where we are. I only hope we can be a part of something worth them thinking of us in that way.

Can one of you old guys take me fishing...

About 30 years ago all lakes in the surrounding area were called "put and take lakes". The province stocked, we took, beacuse fisheries knew they wouldn't reproduce or survive for any long period of time, they invented a stocking program. We even suggested placing un natural creeks in lakes like Hasse and Star, so we could trying spawing. Most took fish home, but with the establishment of organizations like the FFF and Trout Unlimited and others, we learned about Fisheries enhancement, and fish handling. Mostly beacuse of provincial budgets and the exponential growth of the sport, we are learning about conservation.

Any fish Battling an angler is strenuous exercise for a hooked fish. The battle includes heavy pulling by all involved, plus acrobatic leaps and endurance swimming for the fish. Once the oxygen supplied to the blood from breathing through the gills runs short, the fish has to tap into the energy reserves found in the muscles to fuel the fight. This disrupts internal electrolyte and acid-base balance, builds up lactic acid in the muscles, and dumps lactate into the blood--consequences that could affect the health and survival of a fish after release. or so the biologist says.... happy eating.

cheers Roy..

Roy , Dan , Paul , Bob , Brian , Gord , Dennis , Ken , Dave T. , Dave M . ,Kristi , Steve , Skylar , Paul , Vince , and who ever else would like to go ?

Neil and I are " going fishing on Monday " at Muir .

FlyRod.

Roy , Very Interesting commend on the fish battling the angler , that is why "catch and release " is so Important to learn and teach .

FlyRod.