Grayling Fish Out

dipperdan

Unfortunately we did not make it out to Wolf Lake last weekend and the roads on the forestry trunk were rough and wet Friday morning , water over the roads were the colverts were..We did fish the Pits , well it was the pits , the weather was great but the catching was off .

The weather seems to be cooperating, Hot and Dry. Stream flows are down and the heat will be more tolerable this next weekend, I hope....

Planning on heading out Friday night , will contact Rolf at Wolf lake . With such a short notice and kids out of school , not sure if any sites will be available at Wolf lake, the overflow is overgrown and the sites are much smaller. I will check on Minnow lake camp , to see whats out there.

Also the shortness of time this will be just a fishing trip and we can plan on a weekend with the potluck and fly swap later on , if all are willing.

Check my posts and please let me know if you are coming out.

Thanks Dan.

Off to Germany on the choir tour on Thursday. Back on the 22nd then off to Haa Nee Naa for salmon on the 29th. Back Aug 2. After that I may be up for some grayling

Hellooo.... I have booked site 13 at Wolf Lake for friday July 5,6th , Irene , Paul and myself will be leaving the city and arriving at Wolf Lake 2130 2230 hrs . We plan to be on the water about 1100 hrs Saturday ( found early does not produce ) bugs need to be there. We usually plan to be back at camp by 1800hrs. If you come out , come see us and we can discuss our findings or just say Hello.

Thanks Dan

Ken...we found some fish and even managed to catch a couple...the fish were very picky on the fly type and Dan finally caught one using a copper john...go figure...

We (Dan) only managed to land the one at the honey hole, although we had several hits and a couple of fish on, it looks very promising for the next outing. We don't know if the fishing was off due to the heavy rain storm that rolled through or not. We managed to get a scale and fin sample, a picture of the little fella and length (29cm or 11 1/2") Fish was caught at 3:10pm, water temperature was 12 degree Celsius (52 degrees Fahrenheit). Here I thought Dan had a GPS unit and Dan thought that I had a GPS unit, moral is we don't have one, but we knew where we were.

We did venture further upstream, found some excellent looking waters (deep pools), lots of trees and debris in the water and lots of erosion.

On the way home we stopped in at Rat Creek and managed to catch a couple of Grayling downstream of the bridge, one was 12 inches in length and the other was 8 inches in length...we had several fish on, but with not being wadered up, it made catching and releasing more difficult, so we called it a day and headed home at 2:30pm. We didn't have the thermometer with us to record the temperature on Rat Creek.

The funny thing that Dan noticed was that on Dismal Creek we found that the Grayling were found in the deeper pools and on Rat Creek, we found that they were in the runs/riffles.

A great weekend, too short, but still good.Pictures to follow shortly.

• Like 1

The funny thing that Dan noticed was that on Dismal Creek we found that the Grayling were found in the deeper pools and on Rat Creek, we found that they were in the runs/riffles.

To me this suggests that one the one creek you found fish in a neutral or negative state in the deeper holding water> ( But they will still feed given a proper drift nearer to them.) The other to me states you were on positive fish that were actively seeks food in the feeding lanes.