Help Please

Kristi

Ok I was contracted to tie a bunch of leaches for a friend who fishes but does not tie..

They asked for a particular leech. The “Catatonic Leech”.

I have several patterns for leaches and unfortunately i do not have this one.. I made a search for it on the internet and found Don Andersons version. I was wondering if anyone out there could post me here various patterns for this Catatonic leech.

THANK YOU all in advance

~Kristi

Catatonic Leech:

Hook: Streamer #10-14

Tail: Olive marabou

Body: Olive marabou dubbed onto thread

Comments: Have seen Don's, not sure if he ties it the same. I use light olive, gets darker when wet. Killer in Black as well. Very easy fly to tie, very effective. Simply tie in the tail, as wooly bugger style, put some dubbing wax onto the thread and dub a body of marabou. Fish it "chironomid style". Put an indicator on about 6-10 feet above the fly and let it sit there. Keep a tight line, and give it a twitch every few minutes, but no more than that. This fly seems to work really well in the early spring.

• Like 1

Guest ArticWolf

Catatonic Leech..creator is Jerry McBride from Spokane, Washington

Recipe

Hook- Mustad #79580 #8-#12

Thread- 6/0 Brown

Tail- Light bown over dark brown marabou

Flash- three to four strands of crystal flash

Body- Light brown and dark brown marabou spun in individual dubbing loops

Weight- .025 lead wire.

post-2057-0-90766600-1334009412_thumb.jpg

well, you asked and I delivered...very simple tie......enjoy..

• Like 1

Thank you, Roy and Daniel for your variations to this leech. I greatly appreciate them and will tie several of each pattern up.

~ Kristi :wub:

Nice to be learning something everyday. Thanks Rick. I figured it to be something else.. haha!

hope you and the Fam are well..

~ Kristi

Guest Welshtony

Thank you, Roy and Daniel for your variations to this leech. I greatly appreciate them and will tie several of each pattern up.

~ Kristi :wub:

And if you find your client wants only the one pattern........YOU could enter the rest in Daniels FLY SWAP...Only a suggestion mind you.. :coffeetime::clapping:

Guest redfly
Okay Tony M8 something has been confusing me in the avatar are you the brown mutt or the white one ho ho ho he he from your fellow Welsh budy :pirate: the wife she spiked me coffee again Awroo

Okay Tony M8 something has been confusing me in the avatar are you the brown mutt or the white one ho ho ho he he from your fellow Welsh budy :pirate: the wife she spiked me coffee again Awroo

Dam you guys kill me….looking forward to the answer. :beating:

Guest Welshtony

Posted Image Oh Chris, you always ask me the same question everytime Mrs Chris puts to much of that stuff down your tube........Now then as you know....... I AM THE WHITE ONE........THE BROWN ONE IS MY WIFE........Because she is the only one that has the money to pay for the sunbed....

I hope this has cleared things for you m8.......You are getting as bad as that wolfee and that Garhany ....Posted Image

Guest ArticWolf
wow now sheep herder...please don't compare me in the same line as that lumber jack from BC...he'd be a spiked up moma..you know ..think they call them ..'puffs' where you come from..and he'd be always a little..Posted Imageif you get my meaning...

WOW you guys sure know how to HIGH JAK a thread! ... lol :bow:

I better start learning from the the elderpro's! ;) haha!

• Like 1

Guest redfly

Oop's sorry there young Lady we do get carried away some times.back to the original post.

When ever I tackle these little leeches I always start with the colors I have in Marabo I fallow the same body pattern as a Wooly worm and put the Marabo on as the tail and have added many color combos using this method.

The most productive colors that I have used are Moss green,Black,and Maroon.these seem to be the best colors.

I first start by tying in the tail then add some oval tynsel gold or silver then the body material I then add what ever color of hackle looks the best and palmer it to tail of fly then use the oval and wrap counter clock wise and seccure the palmered hackle and whip finish the fly.hope this gives you some Ideas on your problem.

...Kristi...the site that George posted re: Dons website...this is an awesome fly...I have caught many a fish using this pattern...favorite sizes are 12 and 10...tied mainly all in olive...weighted and unweighted, fish activity determines which to use...this is one of my favorite patterns...

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

I believe it is the way you fish it , under an indicator , with occasional strips of line . Most leech patterns should work. Just my take on the whole business of Catatonicolism.... :trout_punch: