Disapointing Week Fishing

DennisS

Went for a week to Rock Lake. Rivers were all very high and dirty. Rock L. was also very high & really dirty. Out of the week I fished twice about 3hr each time. The rest of the time was either very windy or windy and wet. At times the wind was just crazy nuts. The one day I was on the lake I just about came in do to the choppiness of the water. First day fish were rising but as usual you never have anything that matches. It look like it may have been Calabatus spinners about size 12. They were a darkish brown to a mahogany color but big. Some were in the size 10 range. there were lots, Alive and dead and lots on the surface. I had left most of by dry flies at the truck.

Managed to catch only one Laker about 16in. Caught the laker on a white Gary Border Icicle streamer. I use silver fox hair instead of the Faux fur.

Actually left several days early do to rain and a very sick wife.

I guess a week out should at least have one good story speacilly if it's me. So I did manage one small mishap.

First I must say I have gone over a full year with put any major smuck in the truck which is a major mile stone for me.

Anyway on the way back to the home base I stopped into the can to empty a load. I came out and jumped into the truck slipped into gear. Just about then I notice a Big black spider drop onto my lap I took a swipe at it and missed but it went on the seat between my legs. Only thinking of the family jewells I jumped out of the truck, forgetting it was already in gear. As my luck would have it I had parked just in front of one of those little brown envelope shacks on a post. The truck crept ahead and by the time I managed to jump back into the truck and get it stopped it had hit and pulled the little shack off the pole. So needless to say I've got a small dent in the Fender of the truck. I didn't know weather to laugh or cry. The camp attendant was great they came in repaired it and hung it back up like new in a matter of several hr. and didn't even come back to camp for payment for the repair. I just wish it would be that simple to repair the fender of the truck & as cheap.

If I get out of this summer with only that I will be happy. I just hope it's a bit more productive. Going back up there again in late aug hope by then everything is back to normal. I want to get some serious stream and lake fishing up there. Also would like to get at least a day on the east side of highway 40 on the Wild Hay & a couple of small tribs in that area. Rummor have it there are some nice grayling streams in that area.

Still lots of snow up on the mountians.

Tight lines Always

Dennis S. :fishing::fish_jump:

Your still one up on me Dennis, so far this year 3 outings, 0 fish.

Of course practical fishing time (when the wind wasn't blowing hard and the kids weren't rowing the boat) was all of about 20 minutes of the 5 hours I actually got to spend on the water.

I fear the fish are in cahoots with the weather and spend all day mocking my flies and my casting.

Your still one up on me Dennis, so far this year 3 outings, 0 fish.

Of course practical fishing time (when the wind wasn't blowing hard and the kids weren't rowing the boat) was all of about 20 minutes of the 5 hours I actually got to spend on the water.

I fear the fish are in cahoots with the weather and spend all day mocking my flies and my casting.

As my luck would have it I had parked just in front of one of those little brown envelope shacks on a post. The truck crept ahead and by the time I managed to jump back into the truck and get it stopped it had hit and pulled the little shack off the pole. So needless to say I've got a small dent in the Fender of the truck. I didn't know weather to laugh or cry. The camp attendant was great they came in repaired it and hung it back up like new in a matter of several hr. and didn't even come back to camp for payment for the repair. I just wish it would be that simple to repair the fender of the truck & as cheap.

If I get out of this summer with only that I will be happy. I just hope it's a bit more productive. Going back up there again in late aug hope by then everything is back to normal. I want to get some serious stream and lake fishing up there. Also would like to get at least a day on the east side of highway 40 on the Wild Hay & a couple of small tribs in that area. Rummor have it there are some nice grayling streams in that area.

Still lots of snow up on the mountians.

Tight lines Always

Dennis. S. :fishing::fish_jump:

Dennis:

OK, so no more lame jokes about me being a white knuckle passenger. Don't you know trucks can't drive themselves?

Dave

Rick if I remmeber correctly I asked you to come out and give me lessons but you didn't show up. I offer you the same I'm headed up there again Aug 27 to 1st or 2nd of Sept.

I'm hoping that the lake is clearer and the rivers are lower and the Lakers more willing.

Great to see you back on Sunday.

Tight Lines Always

Dennis S :fishing::fish_jump: