Edmonton Flyshop

Garhan

Edmonton Flyshop  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Can Edmonton and area support a good flyshop

• Yeah
    • Neah

What is everyones feelings on an all inclusive flyshop in Edmonton? Do you think the city and surrounding area is capable of supporting a FS that hosts Fly Tying,freshwater and salt water equipment and flies, Rods and reel, clothes, courses, video rentals, guided trip both local national and international. Since Dennys shut down there hasn't been a Flyshop only in Edmonton. Even with that Reg had to work full-time else where to keep a reasonable lifestyle.

So yeah or neah.

I've only been tying for 7 or so years. I tie what I want, sometimes flies I don't need. My materials are growing. I don't really spend a lot of money on materials . So ,,,, Ask the shops in town , how much they really rely on people like me to put food on their plate. I would have to say no.sorry :whootwhoo:

Dan

I think Dragon Troller is right, though I gotta say the professional service and the knowledge available in any of the fly fishing sections of Hosting stores is often poor, though I buy a fair bit when I have to.

There was a "local" online dealer for a while at Thornes Manufacturing, but Robin shut down because he found out being retired was more fun. The dynamics of the retail business are changing and has anyone noticed that even with the Canadian Dollar surpassing the U.S. dollare we are not seeing any savings at the flyshops either? Things that make you go Hmmmmmmmm.

What you are really asking is if Edmonton could support a "Fish Tales" type shop, only bigger and better. From a purly selfish point it would be great, not having to drive to Calgary, but, I don't think the city could support it. Lots of us do go to Fish Tales. Or an alternative would be to have a non-retail "Superfly" shop" that would allow us to see all of the materials available and have our order placed through one of the local shops for payment and be able to take it with you. None of the local retail outfits can afford to stock everything and for certain materials you want to see, touch and evaluate them before purchasing.

Barry

I've been in this game for about 10 years, first as a consumer, then a retailer, and now a manufacturer. That experience, combined with a few years as an active club member, leaves no doubt in my mind that Edmonton could support a great fly shop. Problem is, it just wouldn't happen. There's more than enough money being spent on fly fishing and tying from Edmonton and area residents, but most of it is spent elsewhere, and I doubt that would change. We seem to have three types of shoppers-

-Those that actually support their local shops

-Those that would rather pay more $ for the exact same product, just cause they got it from Fish Tales, Country Pleasures, etc.

-Those that buy online

Most will say they do a combination of the above, but almost everyone falls very heavily into one of those categories. We all know who we are.

Edmonton has a stigma, I think; not a real flyfishing town, no real fly shops, no real fish, blah, blah, blah. Yes, I am a little bitter on the issue. Can you blame me?

I gotta say though, Barry, I like your idea of a non-retail Superfly shop. Now I just have to get it past the boss...

First, let me say....I miss Denny's!

I did not vote...but I agree wholeheartedly with "Junior".

Being a flyfisherman of 30+ years, I'll also add a few thoughts;

1) The days of specialized retail stores are gone....everything is "big box" geared today. "Carry only the stock that moves out the door quickly....nobody will buy that package of baboon pubic hair".

High volume, somewhat lower margin.

Quality?....heck why should we carry that?...we'll sell crap that breaks in two years to get a return sale.

Has anyone tried to buy a Hardy reel, a Wheatley fly box locally lately?

2) A shop like Denny's would require something called customer interaction and customer service, along with product knowledge. It would also require someone with a serious passion for the sport...and some deep pockets for the business.

Most (not all) of the staff in the local shops know very little about the products they sell, even less about the items they don't....like the two mentioned above for example.

Local shops don't want to pay for knowledgeable staff......they hire the cheapest, untrained people they can find...they get what they pay for. Some lack even basic social skills.

We, as customers don't seem to mind....

By the way...I'm not picking on local fishing shops....it's the same story throughout the retail business...

3) Another obstacle may be the changing demographic. There are a lot of grey hairs in the sport...I'm not convinced the recruitment is there...

I will differ on two of Juniors points;

The fear of on-line sales should NOT be a factor....why couldn't the "Denny" like retail store also offer on-line sales in addition to the brick and mortar shop?

If I recall correctly in my discussions with Reg over the years....mail order was a large component of his business. I know Dragon Troller can chime in here....

Regarding the "non-retail" Superfly shop....I think it's a non flyer. Why have the retail store as the middleman? If Superfly thinks a standalone retail store is viable....they should have the business balls to give it a try under their own banner.

In summary, I think that we as customers have molded our own retail destiny.....we want the cheapest items....that's what we are getting, at the expense of service and selection.

Perhaps, in time the pendulum will swing back the other way.....

BTW....did I say that I miss Denny's?

Interesting question that I've asked on occassion to myself and to friends. It would be tough to do just a flyfishing shop as a stand alone in edm.

My thoughts would be do like the stores here have done but in reverse. Have the major part of your store as flyfishing & tying (cloths, equipment, float tubes & pontoon boats, tying materials the whole gammit) Then you would need to branch out to the hardware fisher people. The key would be to be sure that there are knowledgiable people working. Also the sales people really need to be able to sell to the customers affordability. Sell the best at what the buyer can afford. Not always sell the best. Word of mouth goes a long way. Services Services Services.

I would say also you would have to get into the mail order line.

Fish Tales does

This is my misjointed thoughts.

Dennis S

Garhan, Greg here, we don't need another fly shop because between the three Fishin' Hole locations, Wholesale Sports, The Fishing Centre, Halford's, and soon; Cabela's; I think we're okay. Besides, we can always order out.

Garhan, Greg here, we don't need another fly shop because between the three Fishin' Hole locations, Wholesale Sports, The Fishing Centre, Halford's, and soon; Cabela's; I think we're okay. Besides, we can always order out.

Greg,

Unfortunately most of the shops mentioned don't cater to "local needs". I think a full service flyshop could make a go of it but not without an online store to go along with it. Brian at the Fishin' Hole North has been good to me ordering in whatever I needed when possible but certain select items I need from WS have been out of stock for almost a year!

• 2 weeks later...

First, let me say....I miss Denny's!

The fear of on-line sales should NOT be a factor....why couldn't the "Denny" like retail store also offer on-line sales in addition to the brick and mortar shop?

If I recall correctly in my discussions with Reg over the years....mail order was a large component of his business. I know Dragon Troller can chime in here....

FYI, I miss Denny's too!

Regarding online stuff, Its true mail order was a huge part of the original busness. Then came the Internet, that model was tried by Ian & Deb as well but shipping products such as capes and hides to anywhere outside of Canada has some major issues. It can be done but it is cumbersome at best.

I think a similar specialty shop has merrit but it would be a whole lot of work, requiring a whole lot of passion to make a modest proffit. This is something my parents knew, they both worked very hard and were passionate at what they worked on. They made money yes, but it was suplimentary income.

There is room for specialty shops in most business areas, but very few make big money doing it.