Dennisized Fishing Trip

DennisS

Hope all enjoy.

Well woke up on Sunday planning on a nice fishing trip to Edson with my wife Brenda. Well that wasn't to be. Brenda had one of her migaines and she just wasn't up to going. I should have then knew the day wasn't going to go well. She did said for me to go anyway. One can not look a gift horse in the mouth so off I went. Will driving out I decided that I would try a little stream(Frenchman Creek of mine)I hadn't fished in almost 10yrs. With visions of the possibily of catching browns, grayling and Athabasca Rainbows dancing in my head I finally got to my destenatioin. It sure had change a ton since I was last there. I should of taken that as an oman. I said to myself what the heck give her a shot for an hr or 2 then slide over to the Embarass. I rigged up and headed out. The water was pretty slow but still somewhat deep. I worked my way along the bank until I came to about a 3ft wide beaver run. Now this is where things get interesting. On my left it openinto the creek running to my right this run turns into a fair sized pond. I look at the run & the first thing running through the head is never ever step into one of those things because god only knows how deep. I look at the pond and man didn't feel like walking all the way around wasteing to much fishing time. Mistake number 1. Mistake number 2 I get a bright sparke of an idea, I'll sit down and put my legs in and if I can touch the bottom bingo it would be a go to cross. Well I did the procedure and sure enough the feet touched the bottom. I'm thinking okay it's a go. I slide the rest of the way in (mistake number 3) make the next step no bottom oh crap I chuck my rod to the next bank as I start sliding and the water is steadily getting closer to the top of the waders. I make a lung for the only thing that that I could see. It was a mound of ground where the beaver had beaten down to sit and eat most likily. Any way there I was with my arms warped around this mound of ground feet dangling in the slungy water and inches from getting the waders full. I try to pull myself up and this is when I notice that the bank is slipper the old hell. Nothing to get a toe hold and help me out. The only other thing to try was pulling myself up with just my arms. Let me say the guy that said water makes you lighter is full of crap. 250lbs is 250lbs in the water or out. I pulled, and grunted, and thrashed, yes maybe even swore a couple of time. The old feet spun but that was about all. Finally gave up as I was completely played out. So again here I am holding on to this mound of ground for dear life, sounding like a freight train blurry eye and could hardly breath. I look back to where I came from and it was no better maybe even worse. I do a bit of sole searching do a little self abbuse to my ego and do some looking around and notice a clump of willows sticking out of the bank of this run, about 3ft to my right. So i think to myself if I can get to the willows 1 I would have something to help pull myself up and also there would have to be a root system that I could get my toes into, then I would have my legs to help push me up. Sure enough it worked. Got up and I was totally vibrating from the struggle and this was only about 15 or 20 minutes of getting there. I rest up for a couple of minutes and decide I would just go a little further and if I don't catch anything or don't like what I see I just head out. I head up stream make about 4 or 5 steps and down I go again right up to my crutch in a hidden beaver run in the overgrowen weeds. Down I go rod in one direction one leg down one up and I hear this god awful ripping sound. I think to myself there goes my waders . I crawl out of the hole and realize I'm still actually in one piece no broken bones, just a broken ego. Reach done check the crutch for any damage all seem to be in order and luckily no tare in the wader. Then I realize I've ripped the crutch out of my shorts. I figure better them then the waders. Now I say it's time to get out of this god forsaken hell hole.

I decide discression was the better part of valour and walked around the beaver pond and was back to the vehicle unskathed.

All I had for the hour I was there was my wounded pride and 2 very small minnows to hand.

Now this was in the first 1hr so I decide to head over to the Embarass. I got a chance to test drive a couple of new patterns I had tied up, a hopper and a green drake and I am happy to report that they both caught fish. I worked my way down stream and manage a few more and lost a bunch, all grayling. I would say my day had turned around somewhat until I headed back to the vehicle. I was walking in the bush when a hidden branch unders the leaves grabed my foot and I had one of those slow motion falls again legs in the air arms like windmills. likily 8 for style and when I hit the ground on my back jarring the crap out of myself and causing a 7.5 earth tremmor on the riktor scale. Breath gone see stars and the back aching I head back to the vehicle.

So all in all not a bad day caught fish, got my pride shot all to hell, what more can you ask for.

Fish were caught.

Thats My story and I'm sticking to it.

Tight Lines Always

Dennis S :fishing::fish_jump:

Good report Dennis.

Sounds like the plot for a Monty Python skit to me , maybe one of those "upper class twit of the year"" things.

Just another reason to make sure you have a fishing buddy with you.

You gonna bring the shorts next week for a "show and tell"? Wash them first though eh!

Thanks for the chuckle, Dennis. Now, what do I have to do to get you to show me around the Embarass? If I could find the fish it would probably be my favorite river. I've tried a few spots, and the best I ever got to show for it was a 4 incher flung onto the bank. Kind of Embarass-ing.

Dennis I love you, ( just as a friend , no broke back mountain) That was well worth the wait . You should write a book on your excursions, you are hilarious. I'm glad you where not hurt , except your pride but , but hey you have a thick skin. Irene and I pissed ourselves laughing ( sorry) That was the best read in a very long time. Irene and I are heading out to Fairfax this weekend ( I'm finally off call and no one else is on vacation so I wangeled a day off ) looking forward to fish Muskiki for some cutties and the new pitts out there . If your in the neighbourhood, we should hook up, ( some fish)

GREAT READ, THANKS AGAIN

Dan

...fact or fiction, for you to decide...to me this story has way too many specific details to be fiction...I would have paid dearly to witness this...I mean it's just way too funny, mainly because it didn't happen to me...fantastic story...glad you were not hurt, no gear lost or broken...I commend you on your courage for sharing your story for everyone...the one main important message I got out of this story, besides a sore gut from laughing so hard, is that it is always best to fish with a buddy...talk to you later...

...the one main important message I got out of this story, besides a sore gut from laughing so hard, is that it is always best to fish with a buddy...talk to you later...

That way you could have pictures in your book too! :laugh:

And people ask me "why do you love stillwaters?" Thanks for answering that Dennis. Great read, felt like I was there with you. Of course if I were there, you wouldn't have gotten any help. I'd have been to busy laughing my A$$ off.

Cheers :cheers:

Doc

I'll try to make it out Wednesday, Dennis, but I won't be doing any fishing for a while. I had surgery to repair my shoulder a few weeks ago, so it's debatable whether I'll be up to it by the Fall.

Rick no problem. We will surely get out. What happen with the shoulder or like me it an old injury being fixed.

Talk to you soon

Dennis S

Sorry for the hijacked thread.

Four years ago I took a tumble down a flight of stairs and dislocated my shoulder, tearing it all apart. Consequently, I shut down my landscaping company and entered the tackle industry. Now that it's been patched back together, the surgeon tells me it will be stronger and more stable than before the injury, but there will be a small loss of motility. I'm fine with that, considering I used to dislocate it by coughing. Plus, no more daily pain.

My MD referred me to one orthopedic surgeon, who ran some tests, decided he was out of his depth and referred me to an OS who's one of a few in Alberta who specialize in shoulders. When the surgeon came to talk to me after the operation he said it wasn't the worst he'd seen, but it might be the best he's done. When he opened me up there was basically nothing left of my shoulder, and he didn't think he was going to be able to fix it. In the end it all came together, and he said it was a good repair. Apparently, the moment I lost conciousness my shoulder came out, and he found some of the missing cartilage and ligaments inside the socket.

A year from now, I'll be better than new!

Sorry for the hijacked thread.

Four years ago I took a tumble down a flight of stairs and dislocated my shoulder, tearing it all apart. Consequently, I shut down my landscaping company and entered the tackle industry. Now that it's been patched back together, the surgeon tells me it will be stronger and more stable than before the injury, but there will be a small loss of motility. I'm fine with that, considering I used to dislocate it by coughing. Plus, no more daily pain.

My MD referred me to one orthopedic surgeon, who ran some tests, decided he was out of his depth and referred me to an OS who's one of a few in Alberta who specialize in shoulders. When the surgeon came to talk to me after the operation he said it wasn't the worst he'd seen, but it might be the best he's done. When he opened me up there was basically nothing left of my shoulder, and he didn't think he was going to be able to fix it. In the end it all came together, and he said it was a good repair. Apparently, the moment I lost conciousness my shoulder came out, and he found some of the missing cartilage and ligaments inside the socket.

A year from now, I'll be better than new!

Sorry to hear about your shoulder ,But, the laugh was with Dennis!