Bull Trout Hybrids

Both Bull Trout and Brook Trout are from the Char Family and both are Fall Spawners. Although Brook Trout are no longer stocked in flowing waters, all of the existing brookies were stocked years ago. Yes, they do create hybrids and I for one haven't really considered the Bull/Brook Hybrids when out fishing. I definately will now though. These would be great to get photos and advise SRD when you encounter them.

Only one problem though Brian.

If you were actually trying to catch a hybrid, seing as how the species are so similar and live in the same habitiat,

Couldn't you also then be accused of targeting bulls? ;)

Guys,

The Blackstone has a reasonable population of Bull/Brookie crosses. Have caught 3>5 of them. Good looking fish. They don't occur often as brookies spawn in late October whereas Bulls spawn in late August.

The real question is: how do they taste? Both brookies and bulls are great eating fish. I'd imagine the crosses would also be GOOD!!!!

catch ya'

Don

Guys,

The Blackstone has a reasonable population of Bull/Brookie crosses. Have caught 3>5 of them. Good looking fish. They don't occur often as brookies spawn in late October whereas Bulls spawn in late August.

The real question is: how do they taste? Both brookies and bulls are great eating fish. I'd imagine the crosses would also be GOOD!!!!

catch ya'

Don

So Don, when was the last time you tasted a bull.

I guess the next question is are they keepable. being a hybrid are they classed as a brookie or a bull.

You know the Saying No Black put it back. Those Hybrids look like they may have black. So now what do I do. :eek:

Me smells a fish fry. :devil::devil:

Tight Lines Always

Dennis S :fishing::fish_jump:

Dennis Souhwick

Guys,

catch ya'

Don

So Don, when was the last time you tasted a bull.

Hank,

About 1969 was the last Bull Trout fried. Ate a pile of them as a kid though.

catch ya'

Don

• 4 weeks later...

Check the spring creeks of Berland and Muskeg Rivers. I am quite sure that I have caught hybrids in these areas.

I was told in the mid 70's by old locals north of Hinton that fish were once upon a time that Brook trout were stocked into the watersheds north of Hinton in cream cans transported by former WW2 Jeeps and by horse. They said the source of the fish was the Jasper Hatchery. I have no documentation to the above assertions

I have also looked at the stocking bible at fisheries headquarters in Edmonton to try an substantiate my findings of Brookie stockings in the Berland and Muskeg area, but could not find any documentable proof of Brook trout stocking north of Hinton into these drainages.

I have never seen the stocking records out of Edson, but I do know the Edson records do not match the Edmontons data.

I wonder if a freedom of information application regarding the stocking records out of the old Jasper Hatchery could be obtained. I should give it try.