Goldeye Info.

Fourweight

Good Day Gentlemen,

I was wondering if there are any local experts out there that can "help a brother out" and give me a few tips on how, where and what you need to catch Goldeye from the N.Saskatchie? Mostly, I am imagining that the evening is the best time to fish, correct? When the mosquitoes and caddis are out?

What time of year is the best time to catch them? Spring, Summer, Fall?

I live in South Edmonton, but have no issue driving to a good spot....any advice?

Dry or Wet flies? Nymphing?

Any advice is welcome..........thankyou in advance.

Best Regards,

Andy

Hey Fourweight,

I was on the river last night for about an hour. Two Goldeye to the hand and two missed in the few minutes of casting I did do. They all rose to a EHC with a pearl ribbing. They are all over the river and are not too far out usually. Just look for seams near shore. I've nymphed for them, swung soft hackles, and streamers.

Bead head, crystal flash wooly bugger. Or an EHC / Stimulator gets the job done. They also like Eevil Weevils.

PS - The Firehole is gated off these days.. you have to walk down.. or 4x4 it and risk a ticket. Spotted Goldies rising at Gold Bar park boat launch at 50ST. Also, pay attention to the parking restrictions there.

Hi Tee and Ranger,

Thank you for the info! I don't know where Firehole is?! I would likely walk down depending on distance. My buddy and I were thinking about checking the N.Saskatchie out on Tuesday evening, weather dependent, of course.

IF anyone else has advice on a good place to reach the river, please don't hesitate. Thanks again.

Regards,

Andy

My suggestion would be to drive around town and have a good look at the river in various locations.

If the wind is low and water smooth, you can usually see rises in the evening.

Try to find somewhere where the bank isn't too high or brush infested and look for outfalls and stream mouths. The ones commonly used by the bucket brigade are at Whitemud Creek and the Dawson Bridge park. If you make it out to an NLFT&F meeting, someone will undoubtably give you the skinny on a few more spots.

Edited by dave robinson

I don't know where Firehole is?

Andy, search the Forums.. keyword 'Firehole' you'll likely find a 'Map' and a clue or three. Scratch and I may be down at the 'Stankhole' tonight to do a little prospecting for 'Goldeye'.

Thanks again for everybodies information, I appreciate it!

Ranger, did you get any the other day out of the "Stankhole?"

My buddy Trevor and I are going tonight to try Dawson Bridge first and move on from there if need be.

Cheers,

Andy

Ranger, did you get any the other day out of the "Stankhole?"

Nope, just more Gold. :)

Trevor and I didn't have much luck on Tuesday south of the Dawson Bridge. Trev caught one Goldeye and one small Walleye...I however, got skunked. I'm not sure we were fishing in the right spot and Trev wasn't in the mood to move around much...we were on a bend that made the river super wide and it got deep fast, so wading out, even in waders, wasn't much of an option.

Maybe next time.

Cheers,

Andy

I've not seen goldeye rising at our usual spots even once this year. That makes three slow goldeye runs of the last three seasons. With the heavy flows the last few years I think mother nature has flushed the system out and it may take a few years to recover. That said, the walleye in the river we've been catching have been very small (12") but sturgeon populations look stronger.

It's a bit of a mystery to me but I'm sure some of the biologists are looking at it.

I've not seen goldeye rising at our usual spots even once this year. That makes three slow goldeye runs of the last three seasons. With the heavy flows the last few years I think mother nature has flushed the system out and it may take a few years to recover. That said, the walleye in the river we've been catching have been very small (12") but sturgeon populations look stronger.

It's a bit of a mystery to me but I'm sure some of the biologists are looking at it.

Friend of mine was at the Firehole on Saturday and said the goldeye were rising all over the place. The walleye were definitely smaller than usual as mentioned.

Hank