Facebook - NLFT&G Group

RangerBob

FYI, for all you Facebookers out there... I just created an NLFTF Group on it so we can congregate. Feel free to join if you lurk there.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2405517529

Also, DOLBERG is just around the corner. Sign up for the event if you are on there so we know to expect yah. K... back to packing.

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=2353739687

Posted Image

:huh: Why would facebook need my email address AND my email password to have a look around?

Things like this make me suspicious... just what I need... even more :spam2: for my inbox!

Again I could be wrong, But I beleive you can skip that feature, I believe it is used to compare people in your Hotmail, Gmail ect. address book to see if they are on Facebook. I don't mind giving my email, definately not my password. And if you allow Facebook to scan your address book then you and many others should expect some spam indeed.

I have signed up using the email I always use, but definately did not give them my password.

I don't mean to rain on anyone's parade but is Facebook not an invitation to virus problems and such. I thought the whole "Social Networking"" thing was something to stay away from? No/yes?

I have always stayed away from these type of sites. Having been on the internet since 1995, I have had one virus in all that time which took 12 hours to clean out. I have never continually used a virus program as protection because they slow my machine down too much. I am very careful as to what I download, seldomly give out my e-mail address, have never mass forwarded an-mail and delete every e-mail from people I don't know. I also delete all forwarded e-mails at the server. I have never had spam on my home computer, period. Have I missed anything important? I doubt it.

I get 200+ spam e-mails on my work machine per week.

Well Weedy1 you seem to have covered everything. My suggestion is don't overlook the virus protection, It will slow things down yes but sometimes it is the only way you will know your are infected, and if you don't know you are infected then your machine becomes the spammer / Bot. You can get viruses now from everywhere, sites, email, forums ect. are all vulnerable.

I think Facebook is OK as long as you are not stupid, unfortunately many people fall into this category and are lured into providing info they shouldn't like thier email password!

The reason you get spam at work is most likely because machines have been infected at least once, once that happens spam starts flying around. Some of the virus coders and spammers work together.

"Mother" spammers spam out the bug, the bug harvests email addresses from servers, workstations and files then reports back to "Mom", Then "Mother" spammer spams again and so on.