WILD THING ' BOW HABITAT STATION' 2006

RangerBob

"WILD THING ' BOW HABITAT STATION' 2006"

On Saturday, May 13th, 2006, ' The Sam Livingstone Fisheries' are holding their annual special event "Wild Thing 2006" and its basically a huge open house, celebrating Alberta's Fish and Wildlife. Theme is "Discover The Connections" (To fish, wildlife, environment,stewardship and aquatic habitat) The event attracts 5000 to 7000 yearly and is free to the public.

This year's event includes:

Free Pancake Breakfast 8:30 am - 10:30 am

Face Painting, games and crafts

Displays and activities about fish,wildlife and wild places in Alberta

It's open to the public 9:30 am - 4:00 pm with behind-the-scenes walk through the Sam Livingstone Fish Hatchery;

A once a year opportunity! Visitors will see millions of fish up close and personal;

Entertainment, including Evergreen Theatre and Puffin Productions;

Interpretive guided nature walks through the Pearce Estate Park Interpretive Wetland;

Special sod turning ceremony for the new "Visitor Center";

And as a special bonus, everybody will get a sneak preview of the new "Visitor Center" opening 2007.

This year they are having a "Activity Tent" on' Fly Fishing & Fly Tying' and has invited us "Flytie Tuesday" to participate ,and show kids how to tie a Fly, the Hook and Hackle Club are also invited.

They have tables set up for this event to accommodate 4 to 8 tiers from each club so I am looking for some of you Flytiers Out there If you would consider coming down and give us a hand out?

I was thinking on probably having two shifts, one in the morning and one in the afternoon to maybe accommodate those who cannot fill out the whole day( So I'm looking for volunteers)

The' Rose & Crown Bar and Restaurant' here in Calgary are sponsoring "Flytie Tuesday" for this event so all materials will be supplied, lunch provided, refreshments soft drinks and water etc; which is catered by' Ranchmens Classic Catering'

All one needs is your own vice,light and tools( and an extra vice and tools for the kids would be great)

The idea is to show and help the kids how to tie a basic fly ( usually the Wooly Bugger ) because it doesn't take long to tie, and the kids are usually lined up knee deep to get on the vice, so we can't spend too long with each one. We will though, have one tier tying a more sophisticated fly,just for show.

I have done a similar event last year with the "Junior Forest Wardens" on a week end in the Kananaskis, Fly Fishing & Fly Tying with my friends Jeff Petrick & Brent Gough and we had a blast, So boys come on down, you won't regret it, or forget it, and I would really appreciate your help.

Sample of ' Wooly Bugger' is attached

Just think!!!!! "We can actually put something back into Fly Fishing of the Big something that we get out of it"

Please contact me before April 24th (for lunch tickets) as regards to this event ( johnnydarbles@hotmail.com ) also my cell is

708-3501

Thanks Lads!!!

Sean Darby!!! ( Flytie Tuesday )

post-27-1146498849_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...