Rotary Epoxy Fly Dryer Project

RangerBob

Erm, while dubbing one of the NLFT's tapes tonight to DVD... my second VCR this week bit it.. and would no longer eject tapes. So... I took it apart, with two intentions. 1) Salvage the tape (Tying Saltwater Flies I & II) and 2) possibly use them now spare parts to build a rotary epoxy dryer (as seen in nifty tying video).

So, like I got me a bunch o parts Dave.. was wondering if your electrical genius can do anything with them? I happened to search the Internet and came across these plans:

http://www.onlineflytyer.com/article_drier1.asp

http://www.rackelhanen.se/eng/10185.htm

http://www.hotspotfishing.com/authoring/sh...DocID=99&mcode=

(Erm, all same author it seems)

Also, if'n that don't work.. I had my eye on this commercial dual purpose one. For drying flies and Rod Building.

Posted Image

http://www.sportfish.co.uk/product/34829/S..._Fly_Dryer.html

http://www.fly-fishing-tackle.co.uk/acatal...ying_tools.html

Think we can possibly whip one up as a project Dave?

PS - Now I have to buy another VCR so I can continue dubbing. Pooooopy. Anyone know where I can get one CHEAP. Never thought I'd have to buy another VCR. Ugh.

PPS - Yes, the tape was saved, at the expense of the VCR.. and now dubbed on DVD for the ages. It's a good one too.. over 4 hours long.

Edited by RangerBob

Hey Lanny,

Last fall, I went a shopping in Minneapolis with my buddy, Ned. He is the KING of surplus shops and machine shops.

We put together a surplus motor, surplus gear, DVD plastic cover, and some sheets of dollar store foan - and wa-la - a drying rig for epoxy flies.

It works great for Thunder Creek minnows.

It has only shocked Little Ned once!.

Cheers,

Alan

Buster here also needs a new overhead projector. Mine (ManCave theatre one) blew up just as final episode of Red Green came on. Now, let's see what the government has to offer... hmm... also a good cheap source of fly tying desks too.

( King Ralph's Surplus Emporium - These are always fun to go to. )

http://surplus.gov.ab.ca/AuctionsSaleDetai...OFENSKE20060038

Edited by RangerBob

RB:

I'll need to look at the motors to see if they ar easy to power up or not. Typically, they are speed controlled by the VCR chip though, so you'd need to keep that part intact.

Might be easier to cruise the garage sales for a used BBQ rotiserie motor.

RB:

I'll need to look at the motors to see if they ar easy to power up or not. Typically, they are speed controlled by the VCR chip though, so you'd need to keep that part intact.

Might be easier to cruise the garage sales for a used BBQ rotiserie motor.

Dave,

I picked up a 24V DC - 15 RPM for $3.00 on sale at Princess Auto (PART #8057994) burried a ways back in the end of the surplus section. Regular price on it was $6.88. That and a hacked DC adapter (they have lotsa those too fer cheap), and I should be good to go.

Edited by RangerBob

RRB:

Sounds good.

If you want, we can talk about how to adapt the motor to something to both carry your epoxy drying wheel and something to hold a rod for turning it while epoxy for guide set up.

You will need some kind of vertical mounting bracket for the motor made out of wood or sheet metal, plus some way of attaching the drying wheel to the motor shaft. If you do tha latter properly, you can make it removable and build a replacement socket to hold a rod shaft.

RRB:

Sounds good.

If you want, we can talk about how to adapt the motor to something to both carry your epoxy drying wheel and something to hold a rod for turning it while epoxy for guide set up.

You will need some kind of vertical mounting bracket for the motor made out of wood or sheet metal, plus some way of attaching the drying wheel to the motor shaft. If you do tha latter properly, you can make it removable and build a replacement socket to hold a rod shaft.

Dave.

The motor looks just like this one here below, leastwise I mean with the mounting holes on the sides. Ergo, should be easy to work and mount on a finished board of some sort. I also got an on/off switch. We can try get together after Easter and mess around with it. I tested the motor with 4 AA batteries (6V), it made noise, but not enough juice to get a single RPM outta it. However, a simple 9 V battery got it up and spnning nicely (must have stepper controller bult in I imagine). Adding a variable reohstat in there could also give it more control.

Oh yeah, I also noticed Princess Auto had a 1/4" chuck type cotton wool buffing wheel (kind that fits in yer drill ) for $5.00. With proper adapter, yup, that could be made dual purpose easily enough. Job almost done indeed eh!

Posted Image

PS - I also hacked a bunch of 6,9,12V assorted fans out of an AS/400 and RISC 6000 mainframe that we dismantled and played bumper cars with out in the parking lot... Lotsa fun that is... destroying what used to cost.. million dollar mainframes.. now obsolete. Anyways, hoping to incorporate some small fans into the final design to aide in the drying of the epoxy flys - my brain fart of the day.

PPS - Watching the Oilers game on my new Mancave Projector tonight.. if you aren't going to the game.. wanna come over tonight? Yup, scored a real LCD projection system... Go Oilers Go! Life is good.

post-25-1144960919_thumb.jpg

Edited by RangerBob

You are spending way to much money.  My epoxy fly dryer coast less than a couple of used hockey pucks, and you can use mine for electroshock therapy too.

Yeah, when I go over to shoot photos for Flyangler.ca -- I'm gonna have to take a picture of that baby to share with the world. <g> Edited by RangerBob

Dave, no worries (rush) on the board construction... offer still stands for the game though buddy.

Yeah, LOL! My boss Craig whom also happens to be Master Carpenter just walked in and looked over my shoulder at the project. Since I did him a "solid" on another of his "side projects" in the past -- he offered to build me a finished and stained base out of Birch and mount up the motor. I also asked him to build me a matching board for rod building.... nice to put the boss to work for a change. ;)

http://globalflyfisher.com/rodbuilding/reviews/sully.php

K.. I am outta here. Y'all have a great Easter Weekend!

Edited by RangerBob

OK:

Motor easy to mount. It has two nice mounting holes.

Drill a 1" or so diameter hole in stained birch upright for shaft.

Mount motor to upright with shaft poking through hole.

Less easy is attaching anything to that shaft.

It looks to be 3/16" or maybe 1/4" diameter.

You will need some kind of coupling c/w setscrews

to adapt the shaft to either the buffing wheel

or a circular piece of styrofoam attached to a shaft of some sort.

I have some aluminum round stock that I could possibly drill out

to the correct diameter and drill and tap for setscrews.

or if you want to go with a wooden shaft,

I have some 3/4 and 1" dowel I could drill out for the motor shaft.

Maybe a cross cut on the end with a clamp would do the trick for attachment.

There's a couple of other options involving all thread rod and couplings that might work too.

Can't visit tonight to watch the game.

Observers meeting and I want to talk to the boys about Black Nugget Lake.

That lucky?? McCurdy is actually off to the game.

Not holding my breath for an Oil win though.

McT has been rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic,

so who know what that will do.

I probably shouldn't watch anyway. Too hard on the blood pressure.

That lucky?? McCurdy is actually off to the game.

Not holding my breath for an Oil win though.

McT has been rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic,

so who know what that will do.

I probably shouldn't watch anyway. Too hard on the blood pressure.

Sounds good Dave, we'll figure out the "interfacey" bit later on. Yup, many ways to go.

Meh, McWordy going to the game. Uhm, cow-orker going in Oilers Owners box tonight... beer paid by the team. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr...

I'm cheering for the Oil tonight... either way.. perhaps lock-up my keyboard so I don't loose any more precious flies to "The Borgenator" on silly bets... as fishing season is already here... be on the Bow River this Saturday. Life is good! :beer:

Oops... almost forgot... must tye some flies for TUC and NLFTF auction before next Wednseday... perhaps during the game tonight.

Edited by RangerBob

I'm cheering for the Oil tonight... either way.. perhaps lock-up my keyboard so I don't loose any more precious flies to "The Borgenator" on silly bets...

"The Borgenator" hehe I like that.

By the way....You didn't deliver on a few flies...I'm still waiting for the "Fire Flies"... :whip:

I'm cheering for the Oil tonight... either way.. perhaps lock-up my keyboard so I don't loose any more precious flies to "The Borgenator" on silly bets...

"The Borgenator" hehe I like that.

By the way....You didn't deliver on a few flies...I'm still waiting for the "Fire Flies"... :whip:

K... we'll try them out at Dolberg 3/0 together. Oh yeah the "Silkworm" developed by Pacres is "Highly effective, I recommend you tye some up!"

Yes.. it's a GID Fly Too!

Edited by RangerBob

be on the Bow River this Saturday. Life is good!

LAnce:

Wave as we float by! :clap:

Where are you fishing? OR do you want to come float with us?

ANyone interested in floating the bow tomorrow, We're meeting at fish creek park at 8:00 am, floating at 9:00 down to Mckinnon flats.....

I have room for a couple of more if anyones interested.

Richard

Wave as we float by! :clap:

Yup, saw you go by Policemans Flats.. which really lives up to it's name now. Also how these proposed houses will look one day too. Signed a petition in David Blair's shop on this matter. I should get one circulating around up here in Edmonton.

http://www.thebowriver.com/development.htm

Edited by RangerBob

Dave,

My 'flea circus ferris wheel' ain't complete yet.. but when it is we'll look into the mount. Perhaps next week. Oh yeah, check out these cool flea circus gadgets. Yeah, what my boss has taken to calling these things. LOL!

http://shop.mudhole.com/s.nl/category.27/it.A/id.17189/.f

PS - They have a very interesting / informative catalog and website too. See just this section on rod building.

http://www.papercatalogsonline.com/ec/mudh...er=4&catalog=md

http://shop.mudhole.com/s.nl/sc.15/.f

Edited by RangerBob

Dave,

I got my 'flea circus' wheel back. Still needs some work though. As Craig was not sure what kind of chuck was to be placed on it, the right board actually does not line up to centre of the drive shaft. Some quick snapshots from my PDA camera.

Suggestion is once we're done fiddling with the motor bit side, to give him back the right side with the cam locks and he can raise the base up to over centre, or it can simply be propped up onto something interim.

My assumption is that you of course want / need both to be perfectly level while spinning epoxy for a rod building project. Having never done this before, that's just my assumption.

If you wanna get together some night and watch the Detroit / Oilers game in ManCave Theatre Vision... drink beer and eat wings.. we can rattle this off. Game 1 starts tonight at 5 PM. Woo hoo!

post-25-1145635585_thumb.jpg

Edited by RangerBob