## TUC Event - May 4th, 20 Trout Unlimited Auction

RangerBob

I am building a couple of large fly boxes, mainly for streamers, out of wood. (the boxes not the streamers) Any how, I was wondering if TU would like one for the auction? IF so, I can build an extra... It will be make out of pine, and such... let me know and I'll get made ASAP.

Richard

From experience ABH - TU will certainly accept any donation for their Auction. Hand made traditional items (Flyboxes, or Shadow boxes) tend to do fairly well, most better when stuffed with TU friendly ahem---salmonid patterns.

:)

ABH and Scratch,

You can put just about any pile of flies in a box, and they will go if the flies are tyed well. But best bet is to have a theme.

Mikey has done BWOs in the past. Barry does BOW River flies, and I do classic streamer patterns.

ABH - just making and donating the boxes would be great.

Like I said in FAC, I'm the treasure for TU Edmonton and Mikey Dell is the President. We'd be happy to accept the donations.

Cheers,

Alberta Al

Well, then I'll get started on it tomorrow or Friday... I'm not promising a master piece, but I'll do my best. I fairly new at this woodworking thing... so please dont expect perfection :unsure:

Richard

P.S. I'm going to head out to a few places to try to pick up a few donations this afternoon for the Auction.... Hmmm... theres a Crazy Horse not to far from the Fishing hole.... I wonder what they could through in? :D

Well. I went to 5 different places this morning. Everyone except one said, "sorry, cant do it". One place wants to know how many people will be in attendance. I said "possibly 100-200". Is that about right?

The last time I did this for a silent auction, I got over 30 different items my self. Now it's like pulling teeth. A well, maybe its just a bad day. I'll ty somemore tomorrow...

Please let me know what the predicted attendance will be, just in case I'm asked again. Thank you

Richard

The TU auction is 100-200 people... Most items tend to be more 'valuable' than the average (ie: last year there was a lovely hand made Parabolic 2 pc Cane rod) silent auction. That said though - I'm sure that michael can fill you in.

The NLFT auction in April on the other hand could certainly use items.

Well, update, I just got a call back from Lubex, they are donating a oilchange. I am still waiting to here back from Raven Crest Golf Course. they wont be in until Monday. Seeing I work there part time in the Summer, I'm pretty sure we will get a couple of rounds donated.... but no guarantees.

Plus I still have to talk to my father. He's a dealer for Snap on tools. Maybe he can get some thing real cool from them... but again no guarantees.

but I'll keep trying. I will try to get 5 items. Hopefully that will be sufficient.

later,

Richard

I don't want to outright contradict Greg, but last year at the Edmonton TUC dinner we had around 450 people sitting down for dinner. This year we are hoping for over 500.

One of the prizes for the Northern Lights/TUC fundraiser on April 29 is going to be a pair of tickets for the TUC Edmonton Dinner on May 4 (valued at $150 apiece). This is donated by the TUC Edmonton Dinner Commitee.

Richard, your offer to make a wooden flybox will be gratefully accepted.

I know what you mean about pulling hen's teeth, but your efforts on behalf of the Northern Light/TUC fundraiser are appreciated, too.

I am asking local members to tie flies to donate toward the TUC Edmonton dinner. In the past Northern Lights has donated a big boat box full of flies. People like Barry White have tied up smaller boxes of flies arranged around a theme (of course, Barry does Bow River flies). I've done BWO, PMD and Green Drake life cycle boxes.

Thanks,

Michael

I guess my question is then, "These items I'm trying to get are for the NLFT silent auction?" or ar they for the TU dinner silent Auction?

I'm so confused... too many activities all at the same time :(

I don't want to outright contradict Greg, but last year at the Edmonton TUC dinner we had around 450 people sitting down for dinner. This year we are hoping for over 500.

One of the prizes for the Northern Lights/TUC fundraiser on April 29 is going to be a pair of tickets for the TUC Edmonton Dinner on May 4 (valued at $150 apiece). This is donated by the TUC Edmonton Dinner Commitee.

Richard, your offer to make a wooden flybox will be gratefully accepted.

I know what you mean about pulling hen's teeth, but your efforts on behalf of the Northern Light/TUC fundraiser are appreciated, too.

I am asking local members to tie flies to donate toward the TUC Edmonton dinner. In the past Northern Lights has donated a big boat box full of flies. People like Barry White have tied up smaller boxes of flies arranged around a theme (of course, Barry does Bow River flies). I've done BWO, PMD and Green Drake life cycle boxes.

Thanks,

Michael

Please Michael - outright contradict me - when it comes to that fundraiser, if anyone should it's you!

Michael should be commended for his tireless efforts to not only round up donations for the TU dinner, but his unerring and unwavering dedication to the cause. The very model of a modern TU Chapter President...

Richard,

Your choice whether you want to donate to the TUC Edmonton dinner or to the Northern Lights/TUC fundraiser.

The Edmonton dinner has a merchandise committee which is rounding up items for the dinner. Brian Bleackley is on that committee. These people have connections and are able to round up some high priced merchandise like art, wines, expensive flyrods and reels, etc.

It's the handmade stuff like flies (and wood flyboxes) that I am requesting from club members. I had got the idea that you were building the box for the dinner, but correct me if I'm wrong.

As it happens Brian is also collecting items for the silent auction at the Northern Light/TUC fundraiser. This is the event that needs more help, so we appreciate anything you can get.

Greg, I'm blushing, but you should see the list of things to do that I haven't got done, yet.

Thanks,

Michael

Michael:

When I finish the box, I will bring it to the following meeting, and you guys can decide where it would be best suited. I am also the swapmaster in a fly swap on Flytyingworld web site. http://flytyingworld.proboards62.com/index.cgi

I will soon have a set of flies from that to donate to the club for the fund raiser as well. Included in this assortment are flies tied from as far away as United States, England and Australia. Again, I will bring these in and there destination can be chosen by higher powers.

Hope that helps. I'm just helping out, the items I get may go where they will be best suited. I just wish to help out when I can.

later

Richard